• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Update on the Keg Inn squirrel feeder

Out of 9 my closest neighbors, 8 have bird feeders, most have two or more and we have 2. There are more feeders than birds around here. I now have the only squirrel feeder in the neighborhood. Squirrels are far more entertaining to watch than birds. If well feed they don't cause collateral damage to other things.

In Hopkins, MN we also had several chipmunks and it was amazing to see how much they could cram in to their cheeks. They didn't sit at the feeder and eat, they trucked it back to their nest, making 5 or 6 trips before they had enough. I had to remove the peanuts from the mix because the squirrels could see them in theleas plastic feed tube and would dig everything out till it dispensed the nuts. I would put the nuts on the ledge for first come first served time. Now the strange part. Did you know that birds can count? If a squirrel didn't get there soon after I put the nuts out, a couple of blue jays would take turns, fly in grab a nut and leave. When one took the last nut they just stopped coming. We rarely see a jay around here but now with the new feeder, they are back and stealing the peanuts. It is fun to watch the squirrels as I'm enjoying my morning coffee.
    Now for may be a problem:
    In Hopkins I went through 140 to 160 lbs of feed each year and it was well worth it just to watch their antics. For the last 8 days that the Keg Inn feeder has been in operation they are consuming 2 pounds per day. My math skills are a bit rusty but I'm thinking Holy Moly Rat man. I may have to get a job (shudder) to support them. On the other hand I do remember they are very tasty.
    Chas
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Several years ago there was a special on PBS on keeping squirrels out of bird feeders. They just basically showed a bunch of different "squirrel proof" feeders and each time squirrels would get into them. It's incredible how resourceful those suckers are.

My parents, older brother, LOML and I watched the whole thing for an hour, just transfixed. At the end, we couldn't believe we actually watched squirrels for an hour. On TV.
    Joe

Comment

• jonathan55
      Established Member
      • Jun 2005
      • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by charliex
      Squirrels are far more entertaining to watch than birds. If well feed they don't cause collateral damage to other things.

In Hopkins, MN we also had several chipmunks and it was amazing to see how much they could cram in to their cheeks. In Hopkins I went through 140 to 160 lbs of feed each year and it was well worth it just to watch their antics.
      Chas

Amen!! And they gotta eat too!

Jonathan

Comment

• lago
        Established Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Lago Vista, TX.

I found a way to keep the tree rats of the bird feeders.....

Our bird feeders are hanging on the end of a 10' metal conduit pipe attached to the deck about 35' above ground. After I chased a few off and knocked a few off(fell 35' & hit the ground running).

I put a 18" piece of PVC pipe, wrapped some wire around it and hooked it up to the electric fence. Waited until one was one the feeder and plugged it in. He saw me coming and came down the pipe. Once he hit the hot wire, he jumped about 8' on the deck and ran. It bugges the crap out of them, seeing the feed out there and they can't get to it.

Ken

Comment

• lago
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Lago Vista, TX.

A tale about birds and bird feeders

I happened to think about this after reading charliex post regarding squirrels and bird feeders. I got this from a biologists at a wildlife refuge where I do some volunteer work. He got this from a study that was done, probably funded by the Federal govt. It makes sense because I have noticed this happening before.

We have several bird feeders and if we are out of town on vacation, the feeders get emptied out. We return and fill the feeders. In a day or so, a bird or two shows up, then a few more, and after a few days, birds are back as usual.

They found that when the birds roost at night; probably flock together, in a tree. It is probably the bird on the bottom limb than really notices which bird craps the most. That’s the one that found the feeder so those that notice it, follow him, and are big crappers the next night. Soon, all the birds are crapping like crazy.

Then you have to fill the feeder again and again.

Don't know if its true or not. If so, stay off the bottom limb.

Ken

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

I am also a squirrel feeder, I buy a couple of 40 lb sacks a year on the internet.
            Yes, thev are way more fun to watch than birds; 'squirrel wrasslin'' is about the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life, cracks me up every time.
            Yes, they are far more intelligent than us. No insult intended towards anybody, that's just the way it is.
            the blue jays are also a riot, I've seen a squirrel chattering at a blue jay while the blue jay was screaming back at him . Hilarious!

The downside to feeding them is two fold;
            1) They really don't appreciate it, they'll still dig up your spring bulbs
            2) They will bury the peanuts wherever they please, usually right in the middle of the lawn. Not a big problem until they come to retrieve them, just as your grass is starting to look nice....
            BTW, that documentary was British, and absolutely hilarious, highly recommended. The title, appropriately enough, is DAYLIGHT ROBBERY.
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• WayneJ
              • Jan 2004
              • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Want to keep the squirrels off the bird feeder? Try greasing the pipe that hold the feeder.
              Wayne
              Wayne J

Comment

• Rich P
                Established Member
                • Apr 2003
                • Foresthill, CA, USA.
                • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

One that does work

We have the Yankee Flipper and it does work. It's entertaining at first until the squirrels figure out it can't be beat and give up. Then the next generation comes along and they start trying again. Only thing is you have to keep the battery charged.
                Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

sometimes i put some silicone spray on the thin metal shepherd's hook and rod that supports our feeders. Its funny to watch the squirrels try and shimmy up that! but it wears off pretty soon.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gjat
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                    • BT3100

There is a simple way to keep squirrels out of the feeder. I have tons of tree-rats and bought a feeder that mounts on a 3/4" pipe about 6' above ground. Right below the feeder is a 6" tube, about 18" long with a domed top.

The squirrels can't grip the 6" tube and it's too long for them to transfer from the pipe to the feeder. You have to make sure it's at least 8' from a fence or tree that they can jump to. I get tons of birds AND squirrels, but the squirrels only get what's dropped over the edge of the feeder. I've had it for two years and not a single squirrel has made it to the mother lode.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Russell, NY, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Slightly off topic but we are talking about wild animals: Last nite had just gone to bed, with all windows open when all of a sudden I heard what thought was a cat fight. Got up to make sure our two cats were in; looked out the back where have a bird feeder that skunks make a nightly ritual to feed and saw two young skunks having a "mexican stand-off". Both facing each other screaming at what must have been top of their lungs. No smell-just yelling. Never heard a skunk before, didn't even know they had a voice! Most strange?
                      RuffSawn
                      Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

We got tired of the squrrels destroying the bird feeders. I connstructed a squrrel rocket using a pipe withing a pipe with a feeder on top. It worked kinda like the pump up toy water rockets only it used city water hose pressure. When a I saw a squrrel on the feeder I would open the water valve and launch the squrrel and feeder half way across the yard. It was great fun but hard on the feeder, squrrel didn't care much for it either. Had to quit when it landed on top of the car. After that I just put a spirt spirt type water sprikler on the feeder, and opened the valve when I saw them on the feeder. They really did not like that, and were great fun to watch trying to get away from the water monster.

capncarl

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by capncarl
                          We got tired of the squrrels destroying the bird feeders. I connstructed a squrrel rocket using a pipe withing a pipe with a feeder on top. It worked kinda like the pump up toy water rockets only it used city water hose pressure. When a I saw a squrrel on the feeder I would open the water valve and launch the squrrel and feeder half way across the yard. It was great fun but hard on the feeder, squrrel didn't care much for it either. Had to quit when it landed on top of the car. After that I just put a spirt spirt type water sprikler on the feeder, and opened the valve when I saw them on the feeder. They really did not like that, and were great fun to watch trying to get away from the water monster.

capncarl
                          That made my day. Thanks.
                          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• herb fellows
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • New York City
                            • bt3100

Originally posted by WayneJ
                            Want to keep the squirrels off the bird feeder? Try greasing the pipe that hold the feeder.
                            Wayne
                            I DID THAT! Out of desperation, I put some 10w-30 oil on the pole. My sil and myself were looking out the window and saw a squirrel jump on the pole and slowly slide down with a very puzzled look on his face. It was hilarious!
                            Last edited by herb fellows; 07-26-2010, 12:09 PM.
                            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• sscherin
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Kennewick, WA, USA.

We have a large ground level squirrel feeder.
                              It's called our garden..
                              The kids tried to grow strawberries this year..
                              The silly Squirrels keep eating all the ripe ones!
                              William's Law--
                              There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                              cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

Working...