• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Look like anyone famous?

So about ten eight years ago, my family (wife, two girls) and I were out early one Sunday (about 10am). I can't even remember why we were out and about. But nonetheless, the youngest was hungry. Again.

We stopped at the food court at a mall to see if anything was open yet, and found something she wanted.

So we were sitting there as she was munching on something when I noticed that the governor of the fine state of Wisconsin was sitting about ten feet away. He was with security guards and other folk. I don't think they were all there when we first sat down, but people kept showing up at his table as the minutes passed.

The food court was mostly empty save for the governor, his crew, and us.

Except for one other fella. He was sitting there drinking his coffee. About 20 feet away.

About ten minutes after we sat down, this coffee drinking fella stood up, came up to our table and said, "Excuse me, but you look really familiar, are you someone I should know?"

I was caught off guard.

"Nope," I said.

"No, no, I'm pretty sure you're someone famous," he said.

"Not me."

So he turns to my wife and asks, "is he someone famous?"

Now, the governor and his party is hearing this and they are now thinking I'm someone famous. Can barely hide their curiosity. They're looking at me, whispering to one another, etc.

So the guy says, "well, at least allow me to introduce myself." He told me his name, told me his dad's name, said they were originally from Chicago, and said he'd think of who I was as soon as he left.

At which point he said goodbye and left.

So my wife turns to me and says, "let's get out of this place before people start asking for your autograph." Which really set the governor's table off again.

That's the closest I've ever gotten to being mistaken for someone famous. I sure wish I knew who the guy thought I looked like, cause nothing like that has ever happened to me before or since.

How about you, have you ever been told you look like someone famous?
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cgallery
    How about you, have you ever been told you look like someone famous?
    Drew Carey.

I took it as an insult.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• bruce hylton
      Established Member
      • Dec 2008
      • winlock, wa
      • Dewalt today

Up until about 5 or 6 years ago, people would come up to me and ask if I was the governor of Minnesota. It was funny for awhile, but also embarrassing at times. Especially when they would follow me around at a fair or something and talk about asking me before they finally did.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Originally posted by bruce hylton
        Up until about 5 or 6 years ago, people would come up to me and ask if I was the governor of Minnesota.
        As in Jesse Ventura??? If so, I hope you elbow-dropped them and made them do the funky chicken... He oogly...

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I was a dead ringer for Lance Ito, the judge in the OJ Simpson murder trial. Every night jay Leno would have the dancing Itos on his show. For several months everyone in the USA know who Lance Ito was.
          During the trial I was actually in Los Angeles, attending a convention 2 blocks from the courthouse, staying at a hotel 1 block from the LA County courthouse, wearing a suit every day. I turned a lot of heads that week. My friends went so far on a couple of occassions to tell the waitress that they were expecting Lance Ito to come join them.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-19-2010, 12:23 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RayintheUK
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
            • Ryobi BT3000

When I was in San Francisco on vacation some years back I was placed second in a Steve McQueen look-alike contest. It was won by an elderly Puerto Rican gentleman.

Ray
            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by RayintheUK
              When I was in San Francisco on vacation some years back I was placed second in a Steve McQueen look-alike contest. It was won by an elderly Puerto Rican gentleman.

Ray

Hey...second place is pretty good.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

I wouldn't have thought of it, but Loring is a look-alike for Ito.

I have been told I look like Abraham Lincoln when I have my beard trimmed short.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

My grandmother used to tell me that I looked like Don Mattingly when I was younger, and a few other people said the same over the years, but Don's a lefty...

Also, my name is the same as the author of the novel "Endless Love", but no royalties ever came my way over it!

Loring - Did people ever ask what the heck you were thinking in that trial!
                  Last edited by Knottscott; 04-12-2010, 06:25 AM.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• herb fellows
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • New York City
                    • bt3100

Many many many moons ago, I was often mistaken for George Carlin, to the point where people would tell me 'oh yes you are'.

Fortunately for me, George look a little bit worse than me now.
                    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• bigstick509
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Macomb, MI, USA.
                      • BT3100

Although my wife says she does not see the resemblance, I've been told I look like Mel Gibson. I've even had people at church stop us and say there kids have noticed that "Mel" hasn't been to services for a couple of weeks. It used to be more of a complement until the antisemitic incident a few years ago.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• pecker
                        Established Member
                        • Jun 2003

Bill Gates.
                        Of course, I always reply it's a shame I got his looks instead of his money.

Comment

• Stytooner
                          Roll Tide RIP Lee
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                          • BT3100

Not now, of course, since he's a little older and graying, but Sam Elliot. For the mustache and voice mainly, but hair and general resemblance was mentioned.
                          Lee

Comment

• JSUPreston
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Montgomery, AL.
                            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Mike, I've seen the Mel Gibson resemblence since the day I joined the board.

Although he isn't famous, I looked just like the minister at First Presbyterian in Talladega, AL back in the mid to late 80's. As a matter of fact, for the 125th anniversary of the church, I played him in a youth skit. I had several long time members of the church come up to me and ask me how I had gotten out of my two weeks of Guard duty, since the pastor was doing Guard duty at the time. I was dressed just like him, down to the driving hat he used to wear.
                            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by bigstick509
                              Although my wife says she does not see the resemblance, I've been told I look like Mel Gibson. I've even had people at church stop us and say there kids have noticed that "Mel" hasn't been to services for a couple of weeks. It used to be more of a complement until the antisemitic incident a few years ago.
                              Please don't be mad at me. As soon as I saw your avatar, I was thinking
                              Nels Olsen from Little House on the Prairie.

http://www.littlehouseprairiefans.co...urces/nels.jpg

Comment

Working...