• cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Interesting article about the new Rockwell Tools

http://woodworkersjournal.com/Ezine/..._Nam_7292.aspx

An interesting quote:
    So what about that familiar name? Craig explains it this way: "Rockwell has such a long heritage in building quality power tools. We at Positec thought it was a crying shame to see that brand out of the marketplace and a trusted name no longer used. Although there was no transfer of ownership, we acquired the brand name and are carrying forward its proud tradition for a new century." According to Taylor, when you read the name Rockwell on one of these tools, it's intended to deliver the same performance expectations as the tools you remember from years gone by. Rockwell is definitely back in the power tool business, albeit through a new and different company.

Not sure what they mean by the section I bolded. Sounds like "we noticed nobody was using it, so we started to."

I also like the part where they say they wanted to use the name because it was already trusted.

I'm still surprised that the real Rockwell (headquartered right here) isn't jumping all over this. The very first new Rockwell tool I saw (a router, I think) did cause a moment of confusion for me, with me thinking that perhaps they (real Rockwell) had decided to get back into tools.
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

Originally posted by cgallery
    [/INDENT]Not sure what they mean by the section I bolded. Sounds like "we noticed nobody was using it, so we started to."

I also like the part where they say they wanted to use the name because it was already trusted.

I'm still surprised that the real Rockwell (headquartered right here) isn't jumping all over this.

What does the real Rockwell do nowdays? They probably still have options, but this looks like a long trademark abandonment case.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Yep, Trademark abandonment. The long ago merger of Delta / Rockwell eventually led to the merged group abandoning that name and simply using Delta. I think Rockwell tools, and Rockwell international were split into separate corporate entities prior to the merger with Delta.

What boggles the mind about this is... Does this mean that it is possible that we will see the return, at least in name of cars like AMC, Hudson, and DeSoto?
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I guess I should probably withhold judgement but the "new Rockwell" tools don't look like much to me. I have what is now a PC Speedblock sander but mine was sold by the old Rockwell - it precedes the sale of that design to Porter Cable. I had to buy a new switch for it - PC supplied it - but it still works fine. Maybe the new stuff will hold up too but it looks like inexpensive "consumer grade" tools with an established name on them to try and fool people.

Jim

Comment

• Dyidawg
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2010

Rockwell at Lowes

I was at Lowes yesterday and I noticed a whole section was set aside for this. There was a 12 foot banner and about 25 boxes of new Rockwell products. From what I could tell, since nothing was open yet (I guess they were just setting up the display) that looked like tool stands. I will probably head back later today to check it out.

Aldo

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

sounds like either Delta's parent company let the trademark lapse, or it had been out of use for so long that Delta decided to sell the rights to the name. THis would assume that they thought 1) they had no use for another label which may be true since delta is now part of the porter cable family, they have lots of names, 2) that there would no hit on their reputation (only a few oldtimers actually used Rockwell tools) and they wanted the money.

Seems like Delta family already has too many names - they are rebranding some of the old lower end stationary power tools as Porter Cable, I have noticed at Lowes.

It loosk to me like the new Rockwell stuff is more aimed at what Porter Cable used to be, portable and hand held power tools (jawhorse, circ saw, hand drills, benchtop saw) rather than stationary tools like the old Rockwell used to make (14" bandsaw, cabinet and contractor table saws).
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-07-2010, 10:58 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• germdoc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Omaha, NE
              • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by dbhost
              Does this mean that it is possible that we will see the return, at least in name of cars like AMC, Hudson, and DeSoto?
              What the world needs now--a new version of the Gremlin, Pacer and Matador...
              Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                It loosk to me like the new Rockwell stuff is more aimed at what Porter Cable used to be, portable and hand held power tools (jawhorse, circ saw, hand drills, benchtop saw) rather than stationary tools like the old Rockwell used to make (14" bandsaw, cabinet and contractor table saws).
                They used to make at least some hand-held power tools, although I don't know how extensive the line was. I own a Rockwell top-handle jigsaw that I bought new circa 1972-ish. For years I have wanted to replace it with a Bosch barrel grip -- partly because I prefer the feel of a barrel grip, partly because the Rockwell uses P-C style blades that have become increasingly difficult to find. Trouble was, the Rockwell would not have the good grace to die. The thing is a tank, it just keeps on going. The only power tool I have owned even longer is my Skil 77 worm drive CS.

(But I recently bought a Bosch anyway.)
                Larry

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by germdoc
                  Hey! I used to have a Hornet SC360... With just a few discreet tweaks, it was easily the one of the quickest things on the street at the time, since it weighed all of about 10 pounds more than what that big mill did by itself. There were many embarrassed Camaro and 'Stang jockeys hereabouts in those days... Lord help 'em if AMC had followed through on their plans to put a 401 in those things...
                  Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 04-07-2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                    What does the real Rockwell do nowdays? They probably still have options, but this looks like a long trademark abandonment case.
                    Automation gear.

I suppose they may thing the chance of confusion is slim, so why bother.

OTOH, maybe they've communicated w/ Rockwell Tools and we just don't know about it.

Finally, I suppose it is possible that they've waited too long and blown their chance.

It is just the fact that there were once tools with Rockwell tags on them, and that Rockwell is in an industry that is at least tangentially connected to tools, that would have made me think they'd want to fight this.

After all, if I started "Intel Speed Boats" or "Microsoft Building Supplies," I'm gonna get a cease and desist letter from a law firm.

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

I've seen some fairly recent tools advertised with the Rockwell name. They didn't look like any of the Delta/Rockwell stuff though.
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Rockwell-Vert...item58870274ec

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockwell-RK7135-...item5ad80594df
                      Erik

Comment

• gsmittle
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                        • BT 3100

Originally posted by germdoc
                        Oh Lord, not another Gremlin! The mind boggles…

g.
                        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                        Bill & Ted

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2007
                          • Tacoma, WA
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by gsmittle
                          Oh Lord, not another Gremlin! The mind boggles…

g.
                          don't worry it will just be a little Gizmo

Bill
                          over here on the Sunny Oregon Coast

Comment

• germdoc
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2003
                            • Omaha, NE
                            • BT3000--the gray ghost

BTW, on a side note, most people don't know that the guy who did the special effects for the Gremlin movie as well as many other movies in the late 70's/80's was Sneaky Pete Kleinow. Sneaky Pete was a legendary steel guitar player who played on most of the important country rock albums of the 60's and 70's, including records by the Byrds, the Flying Burrito Brothers and Little Feat. He did session work for Linda Ronstadt and John Lennon ("Mind Games") among others.

He developed Alzheimer's at an early age and died in 2007 at age 71.
                            Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• gsmittle
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                              • BT 3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                              don't worry it will just be a little Gizmo

Bill
                              over here on the Sunny Oregon Coast
                              Wouldn't want to run that through the car wash…

g.
                              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                              Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...