• Show
Clear All
  • tseavoy
    Established Member
    • May 2009
    • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
    • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

My way of evaluating a purchase has changed

As I looked around the shop last week, I picked up my countersink and remembered that it was pretty banged up after 30 years of use. Several days later I was in the local hardware store looking at countersinks. The Irwin countersinks were in the fifteen dollar range, but a General brand countersink was five dollars. I thought:
    How many times will I use this?
    How may years will I still be doing this sort of thing?

I bought the five dollar one.

Tom on Marrowstone
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I don't even buy green bananas anymore.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
      I don't even buy green bananas anymore.
      You live in SoFla... Grow your own.

Comment

• natausch
        Established Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Aurora, IL
        • BT3000 - 15A

I'm on the other side of that spectrum, only a pup at 35.

However, I've learned my lesson on countersinks, none of the cheap ones hold up to even moderate use. DeWalt, B&D, Ryobi. I'm hunting for a deal on a Milwaukee set.

Surprisingly though I have a #2 B&D Screw extractor that has pulled about 20 screws, amazing durability.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by tseavoy
          As I looked around the shop last week, I picked up my countersink and remembered that it was pretty banged up after 30 years of use. Several days later I was in the local hardware store looking at countersinks. The Irwin countersinks were in the fifteen dollar range, but a General brand countersink was five dollars. I thought:
          How many times will I use this?
          How may years will I still be doing this sort of thing?

I bought the five dollar one.

Tom on Marrowstone
          i use countersinks a lot and hate the ones that chatter and leave lss than smooth holes. I heard that the wormhole ones don't chatter. I bought a set of wormhole ones from Lee Valley after the wormhole ones from HF turned out to be non concentric and unusuable in the drill press or hand drill. the LV ones work great, proves some good things are worth paying for.

P.S. Ray (see following posts) says they're called snail countersinks.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-16-2010, 07:19 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            i use countersinks a lot and hate the ones that chatter and leave lss than smooth holes. I heard that the wormhole ones don't chatter. I bought a set of wormhole ones from Lee Valley after the wormhole ones from HF turned out to be non concentric and unusuable in the drill press or hand drill.
            I especially like the piloted bits from McMaster. They have a 1/4" or 5/16" pilot followed by the worm-hole type countersink. I do a lot of 1/4" and 5/16" holes and I find that the piloted countersinks allow me to get perfect countersinks every time.

Comment

• RayintheUK
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
              • Ryobi BT3000

We call them snail countersink bits over here and I've used one since I discovered them, as they leave a smooth, chatter-free, beautifully polished result.

(Image from www.Boettner.de)

I've also used Beall single-flute countersinks:

(Image from www.toolpost.co.uk)

These will countersink holes up to 25 mm (1") diameter, down to pin-size holes. The chamfer of 82 degrees makes it ideal for screw heads. Best used in a drill press, due to their size.

Ray
              Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

You guys talking piloted countersinks, or just plain countersinks?

I have had a Craftsman 5 piece piloted countersink set since I 1986 that I have managed to lose more than half of. None have broken. I simply need to replace it. I am likely to go with another Craftsman set. Just wish it came with a case so it would be harder to lose...

I have the Mibro 5 piece Ti coated countersink bit set from Amazon. Had it about a year. No chatter, smooth counter sinks, but very slow cutting. I would like a better set and DO NOT recommend these to anyone. I mean they work, and they were cheap, but they don't work well...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

dave, you and phil talking about piloted CSes, me and everyone else talking about plain countersinks, I think.

you might look at the tapered, piloted all-in-one countersinks from, like MLCS. I use them when i want an exact profile, or else i just use the flat stamped piloted countersinks from Craftsman I've had forever.

tapered drill bit CS, at bottom
                  https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...l_bit_hex.html
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-16-2010, 03:03 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...