• Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

MS Office 2007 installation question...

A client of mine generously gifted me today with a factory-sealed package of MS Office Professional 2007, full version. Seems he bought his software before he bought his latest computer, and an install of Office came bundled with his hardware. He was hoping I could get some use out of the software, since he's already expensed it off his taxes from last year. I said thankee kindly (since I'm still running Office 2003) and set about to do the install, but I notice that the certificate sticker reads, in part: "Office Pro 2007 Win32 English Intl Not to US CD".

I assume that this means this is an export version of the software. Does anybody know if I will be unable to install/register/use this on a US computer? Are there features that are incompatible? Will it install over my old Office 2003? I think I may be up the creek, but hoping somebody can tell me for sure...
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

No problem - slap in the disk and install, providing you have the 25-character (5 groups of 5) authorisation code. The regional labelling is a licensing thing, which doesn't affect the software content. Be prepared for a few surpises, though - things that you're used to are - generally speaking - now somewhere else! Let me know if you have any other/further questions.

Ray
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Thanks, Ray. Is the authorization code in the package? (Like on the disk envelope or something...). I ask this because I don't want to break the factory seals until I'm certain it'll run OK for me.

Also, can you be a bit more specific about how the operation differs from what I'm used to?

Comment

• RayintheUK
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
        • Ryobi BT3000

The code - usually shown in upper-case characters and numerals mixed - will be within the packaging itself, but it won't be visible externally, you'll probably find it inside the CD case. Don't fret about opening it - if you don't install or register the software, someone else will be able to, just explain the circumstances to them.

Regarding the operation - again, don't worry, it's mostly cosmetic and the layout and position of some icons differ. Here are some screenshots to demonstrate what I mean (click on each for larger size, then either use <Ctrl> + mouse wheel or <Ctrl> + "+" to enlarge in your browser):

Click image for larger version

Name:	mo01.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	785112

Name:	mo02.JPG
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	785113

Name:	mo03.JPG
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	785114

Name:	mo04.JPG
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	785115

All the old stuff is there, plus other additional functions, it's just finding them initially, compared to 2003. HTH

Ray
        Last edited by RayintheUK; 03-03-2010, 05:36 AM.
        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Thanks, Ray!

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Publishers of textbooks have always published foreign versions of their texts and sold them for vastly less than the U.S. version. The textbooks were almost always identical, but said "Not for US" (or something similar on them). They sold those books for far less than the books sold in the U.S. market.

Some savvy business people started re-importing those books and selling them in the U.S. for deep discounts over the U.S. editions.

The textbook publishers filed suit, and lost.

In this case, your software is a little more complicated because you agree to Microsoft's terms when you install it. Of course, the courts have something to say about Microsoft's terms, but I don't think they've weighed in yet.

When you go to activate the software, I'm 99.9% positive you will have no problem.

BUT, if Microsoft wanted to be extreme jerks, they could look at your incoming IP address (and associated location) and refuse to activate the software.

I doubt they'd ever do anything like that, because it would likely result in federal scrutiny, class action time, bad press, etc. Plus, how would they know you weren't from (for example) China and travelled to the U.S. for school, and needed to reinstall the software while here?

In any event, Microsoft would insist your license is invalid and that you are a pirate. But, they'll never do anything about it. The software police will NEVER knock at your door.

I will add one more thing, though. In the last year, I've seen an incredible increase in the amount of pirated software I've been offered. This software almost universally has the "not for US" on it somewhere. Careful comparison of the disks to known real MS samples will show that the pirated disks (especially the labelling) isn't up to snuff.

I'd virus scan the CD, and I'd google the volume label of the disk to make sure it matches the description on the labelling. If the package label says it is an OEM version, for example, and the included CD label says it is an OPEN LICENSE, I'd probably just pass on it.

Actually, I don't even like 2007 much, I'd just stick w/ 2003. But, that is just me.
            Last edited by cgallery; 03-03-2010, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

There is one difference in the software that I know of which is common to all exported software. When encrypting files, there are encryption algorithms that are prohibited from export for national security reasons. The international version will not have the same strong file encryption available. It means the difference between hours and days for law enforcement to open encrypted data, and they might have that might be down to minutes and hours by now.

Unless you're writing your manifesto, running a ponzi scheme, or recording drug trafficking sales, it probably isn't a big deal.
              Chr's

Comment

• phi1l
                • Oct 2009
                • Madison, WI

I think the notice might be to announce that it is not a US CD. DVD readers are supposed to have a built in regional code that is supposed to let them only read disks intended for a particular continent. There are ways around it, but you didn't hear it from me

That's a different forum

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by cgallery
                  ...Actually, I don't even like 2007 much, I'd just stick w/ 2003. But, that is just me.
                  Me either. I don't understand what putz decided to dump a user intrface that's worked for years. Before I retired, I was stuck helping our staff re-learn software they've been using all along.

The heck with '07, I'm sticking with '03.

Or even better, Open Office.
                  Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

That's food for thought, guys. Fact is, I thought upgrading to '07 might provide some new features, shortcuts, etc., but if not, I may just stick to '03 myself...

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

I put 2007 on a machine here at work, got annoyed with it and moved back to 2003. They did away with the File, Edit, etc menus and now have this 'Ribbon Bar' that changes icons, etc based on what context you want -editing, drawing, and the like. It makes it impossible to find anything.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• phi1l
                        • Oct 2009
                        • Madison, WI

I upgraded from '97 to 2007, so I found a number of improvements that I appreciated. The biggest I think is the One Note app. The context menu thing was a bit annoying at first, though... I don't know what's in 2003, it probably isn't worth the aggravation to go from 2003 to 2007...

Comment

• JoeyGee
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

I REALLY like 2007. Initially it is frustrating, but once you get used to the ribbons, it's actually quite intuitive. I hate going back to use 2003 at work. When using 2007, I often think "why didn't they do this years ago?"
                          Joe

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                            • BT3100

I kinda like 2007. it is still very frustrating to have to learn how to do all the things i use to in excell on 2003 because the menus are all messed up, but i am starting to get a hang of it.....maybe i will like it one of these days

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                              I kinda like 2007. it is still very frustrating to have to learn how to do all the things i use to in excell on 2003 because the menus are all messed up, but i am starting to get a hang of it.....maybe i will like it one of these days
                              That's what I'm starting to worry about... I can't accommodate much of a learning curve at all, and if there are not new features that will save me time, I'm thinking I can't justify it.

Comment

Working...