• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Pipe Tobacco

Some years ago I smoked the occasional bowl. I like smoking a pipe. I tend to live life in a hurry and you can't hurry a pipe. If you try, you get instant feedback that tastes terrible. Anyhoo, was cleaning out some stuff this weekend and I found my pipes. They are now in my shop. Any brands/flavors of tobacco you like I should keep an eye out for? It has been so long the place I used go is closed.
    Last edited by crokett; 02-01-2010, 11:37 AM.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Pipes always tasted harsh and hot to me. I could never get the hang of it.

I will have a cigar now and then (actually more frequently than that, these days). It make a great companion in the shop.

JR
    JR

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

My pipes only taste harsh when I smoke them too fast. I've smoked cigars, but pipes smell and taste better. At least I think so.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

"May I smoke my pipe as well?"

Last edited by germdoc; 02-01-2010, 05:23 PM.
        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• nadz
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2005
          • Rocket City, AL, USA.

pipe tobacco

i love pipes and cigars,

i enjoy the aromatics, mostly local copies of popular blends(RLP-6, 1-Q), i have recently gotten into smoking flake tobacco, it's definitly a departure for me, but i have found that the virginia flake is plenty mild and quite enjoyable, plus you get the neat tin!

for cigars, i like them all, but i have found that r&j are my favorite, consistantly good smokes

great topic!
          -----------------------------------------------------------------
          Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

My dad smoked Borkum Riff Champagne for years. Never smoked it myself but I always loved the smell. It's supposed to be very mild and only gets so so reviews, people either love it or hate it. Knowing my dad, I'd guess it is pretty inexpensive, and/or it was just available consistently in our town.
            Chr's

Comment

• nadz
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2005
              • Rocket City, AL, USA.

tobacc

yeah, my dad smoked borkum riff (rum? cherry? vanilla?) when he swept out the garage at night...i used to love the smell, i suppose most casual pipe smokers just bought their tobacco at drugstores back then
              -----------------------------------------------------------------
              Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

• Stingray

Interesting subject. I never smoked a pipe, but I was under the understanding thats pipe tobacco is not supposed to be inhaled? Anyways, this brings me to my point...I was in the tobacco shop a month ago, and I got to noticing theres very little cigarette tobacco, so I asked the owner what are all the cigarette people smoking because of no real selection of cigarette tobacco anymore? They proceeded to tell me that since the cigarette taxes went up they went to a cigarette/pipe tobacco blend, and the bags are marked pipe tobacco, but have cigarette tobacco mixed in with it. So if you buy just 16 ounces of cigarette tobacco in a bag, its $65.00. If you buy the pipe/cigarette blend, its $16.00 for 16 ounces. They put just enough pipe tobacco in it to be able to sell it for cigarette rolling and not have to pay the cigarette tobacco taxes on it. I guess that is what everyone is rolling in their cigarettes now. That has to be real healthy for you huh? Smoking something you aren't supposed to be inhaling. There was a guy on CL last fall selling tobacco seeds. It has all gotten too crazy for me.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

In college, I smoked a pipe and cigars. I smoked Flying Dutchman mainly. I still have my pipes, but I confess I am afraid to pick up a pipe or a cigar anymore. I quit cold turkey with cigarettes somewhere around 17 or 18 years ago, and I don't want to get started again. My mom died of lung cancer.

Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• cgallery
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2004
                    • Milwaukee, WI
                    • BT3K

My grandfather smoked a pipe. He used more than one type of tobacco. My mom (who couldn't stand the smell of cigarette smoke) would even pickup tobaccos for him to try.

Now whenever I see/smell someone smoking a pipe I'm immediately transported back to my youth (he died when I was about 12).

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Stingray, most cigar and pipe smokers don't inhale. There are no filters like there are on cigarettes, so the smoke is that much more dangerous. Although there is the risk of mouth cancer of course. I am a very occasional pipe smoker. That is to say, even an ounce or two of tobacco dries out before I can smoke it all.
                      David

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

I've smoked cigars and pipes. Both have their flairs. I still have my pipe collection. After breaking in a good pipe and some interesting tobacco I find it enjoyable.

I stopped smoking a pipe the first time after a traumatic experience. I was cruising down the beach road with the convertible top down, checking out the beach babes walking along the road. I was puffin' on my pipe lookin' cool. I turned my head to take a better look, and the bowl hit the little vent window frame (they had those back then). The bowl turned over in my lap.

Needless to say the nylon speedo type swim suit I was wearing wasn't fireproof.

Comment

• woodturner
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Western Pennsylvania
                          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                          Stingray, most cigar and pipe smokers don't inhale.
                          If they don't inhale, do they get any benefit (nicotine high, whatever) from smoking, or is it just about the aroma and handling the pipe? I've never smoked anything, so I'm just curious.
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Aroma and handling the pipe. Plus, at least for me it forces me to slow down a bit and take a break. If you smoke a pipe too quickly it burns too hot and starts tasting terrible. Much the same with a cigar.
                            David

Comment

• volozhin
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2010

Try Carter Hall pipe tobacco. It's very mild. You can get it at drug stores. It's also cheap.

Comment

Working...