X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nadz
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005
    • Rocket City, AL, USA.

personally, i do get a slight nicotine buzz while smoking pipes[and cigars]...for me, it's more about the taste and aroma, the ritual, and as crockett mentioned, the 'forced downtime' required to smoke- ahem, enjoy a nice smoke...as far as health benefits, i see none, but i still enjoy it, just in moderation
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

• schloff
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Southern Middle TN
      • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

I smoked cigars for years (since I was about 16) until my cousin turned me on to the joys of pipe smoking about 3 years ago. I now have more than 5 pipes, and made my own from a kit.

I buy my tobacco filler at my local pipe store. They have a great selection, and are very reasonable. As often as I am able to smoke it, I average about $5 a month in tobacco. Not bad for the amount of enjoyment that I get from it. A pipe allows me to smoke a bowl, and not waste an expensive cigar for lack of time to get a good burn. At about $8 for a cheaper decent cigar, that's a major cost savings. I can puff my pipe for 10 minutes, 4 minutes, or an hour. It's all good.

I smoke a Black Cordial blend, which is aromatic, and a couple different store brands that I really enjoy.

I don't know what it is about the pipe tobacco that smells so good, and I probably don't want to know.

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

My dad smoked a pipe for awhile. He told me there are 2 kinds of pipe tobacco--the kind that smell great but taste lousy, and the kind that taste great but smell lousy. I'm pretty sure he smoked Borkum.

What really caused health problems in the long run was the Kool filters he was addicted to and couldn't quite give up.

To this day I still like the smell of pipe tobacco...
        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

I always wanted to try a pipe. I used to smoke the little Captain Black pipe tabbaco cigars. They came in a number of different flavours. I gave up smoking before I got the chance to try.
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

When I smoked a pipe my favorite was Borkum Riff Bourbon. LOML liked the smell of Cherry Blend, mainly because her dad smoked it, but I hated the taste.

When it came to cigars, my preference was either Gold Label Dino's or A&C Grenadiers, both non-aromatic smokes.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• schloff
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Southern Middle TN

I tried the Borkum Riff Whiskey. It was a bit harsh for my taste. It's strange that you can't smell the pipe when you're smoking it. Why is that?

I like a mild-medium smoke for a pipe or a cigar. I had an Ashton that was superb, but that might have been the environment that I was in at the time.

Upmann, Macanudo, etc. My favorites... My go-to cigar lately is a Gispert. It's mild, relatively cheap, and burns nicely all the way to the band.

Comment

• nadz
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2005
                • Rocket City, AL, USA.

Originally posted by schloff
                Upmann, Macanudo, etc. My favorites... My go-to cigar lately is a Gispert. It's mild, relatively cheap, and burns nicely all the way to the band.
                Gispert...never heard of them, the recommendation is appreciated, ill check my local shop to see if they carry that brand
                -----------------------------------------------------------------
                Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

• schloff
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Southern Middle TN

I get them for about $3-$4 a stick. That's for a Toro or a Lonsdale. Very mild and tasty.

Happy hunting.

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

I picked up some Burley today. At 2 bucks for 2oz which will probably dry out before I use it all, it is pretty reasonable. The store has other aromatics, so I figured I would try a few and see.

It's a funny thing. My wife is a personal trainer and is militant about smoking, and yet she doesn't mind pipes. Her dad used to smoke one and I will see if I can get him to partake when the weather is warmer. I haven't asked (don't want to know) how she reconciled the health concerns with smoking pipes to fit her views on cigarettes.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
                      I haven't asked (don't want to know) how she reconciled the health concerns with smoking pipes to fit her views on cigarettes.

I don't know if it can be thought of as "healthier", but pipes and cigars are pure tobacco, while cigarettes are wrapped in paper.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Weir, Ks, USA.
                        • BT3000

Stingray, most cigar and pipe smokers don't inhale. There are no filters like there are on cigarettes, so the smoke is that much more dangerous. Although there is the risk of mouth cancer of course. I am a very occasional pipe smoker. That is to say, even an ounce or two of tobacco dries out before I can smoke it all.
                        Actually there are pipe stem filters you can use and I always did. They do get dirty from tar, so I knew they worked. I really enjoyed a pipe, maybe I will try it again when I retire and stay away from stress, so I won't be tempted to smoke cigarettes again.
                        Bill
                        "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Rich P
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2003
                          • Foresthill, CA, USA.
                          • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

When I was in high school in Tampa there was this local pipe shop (Edwards Pipe and Tobacco) on my way to school. Turns out the owner was a local TV personality who hosted a Saturday morning kids series named....."3-D Danny!". Cool guy, handle bar mustache, drove an Alpine with V-8 and knew his pipes and tobacco. He could explain why a straight grained briar smoked cooler than one not so straight.

Years later I saw a shop by the same name here in Los Altos...seemed to be a franchise-like operation. Had many of the same blends I recall as a kid.

You might want to do some searching in your area to see of one of them made it up your way. The shop in Tampa is still there although it has moved.
                          Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks Bill. I will look into the filter. I didn't know they existed.
                            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Weir, Ks, USA.
                              • BT3000

Thanks Bill. I will look into the filter. I didn't know they existed.
                              http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm...&item=medreg12

Here is the Medico filters I used to use. I don't know anything about the vendor, it is just the first one I picked off a search.

Bill
                              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• luteman
                                Established Member
                                • Dec 2007
                                • Northern Michigan
                                • BT3100-1

When I smoked a pipe, I blended my tobacco: 1/3 Balkan Sobranie 1/3 Virginia Burley, and 1/3 Latakia. My local cigar and pipe shop always had a good selection of various loose tobacco species. For a cheap but good cigar, I've always liked Marsh Wheelings. My all-time favorite cigars are the dry-cured Ritmeesters from Holland. This type of cigar is also popular in Germany and Brazil. Now, I smoke an occasional dry cured Italian style cigar called Avanti. You can get them flavored with Anisette or plain. They are made in Scranton Pa. Probably right down the street from the Dunder-Mifflin Paper Company.

Comment

Working...