• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

RHD Question

I know that Ray can answer this easily. I've driven RHD (right hand drive) vehicles in driving events. It is very weird at first sitting on the right, and shifting with the left hand (if it's a manual shift). I can just imagine what it would be like to drive on the other side of the road.

For those that have had the experience what were your thoughts?
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

I never did it but I can imagine that the passenger would be the one terrified, if they never did it before.
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Driving on "the other side" is nowhere near as difficult or traumatic as you might imagine (unless you're the only one doing it!). However, there are two types of "other side" driving.

The first is where you drive a car on the other side than is normal for you, but in a car made to drive on that other side (e.g. a LHD car in the US). The other type is where you drive on the other side in a car built for where you normally drive (e.g. a UK car in Europe).

In the first instance, all you need to do is to follow other traffic, road signs, etc. to become quickly used to changing sides, both in the vehicle and on the road. The natural skills of judging vehicle distance from the kerb come into play within a very short distance, then you can concentrate on other ancillary stuff (stick shift, etc.). It's rare to get caught out at junctions, etc., because you're "reminded" which side to be on due to the position of the wheel in the car.

Driving a UK car in Europe is a little different, however, because you're sitting in the kerbside and need to hang much farther back to get a good overtaking view than is normal (or rely totally on your passenger). The other disadvantage is that when emerging onto a road from, say, a gas station, when no other traffic is present, there could be a tendency to drive off on the wrong side, in the absence of any other physical evidence to do the contrary. You tend not to make this type of mistake more than once!

Ray
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

I experienced this driving in Bermuda. The first few minutes felt similar to when I was just learning to drive -- actively thinking about everything. But after a few minutes, it just "clicked" and it was no problem at all... only occasionally actively thinking about it when a new situation presents itself (e.g. right of way).
        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

My brother lives in Gloucester England and I usually rent a car from the airport and drive the 120 miles to his house. I used to drive into London also, but I think I'm getting a bit nervous about that these days!
          As others have said, the first few minutes it is real 'conscious decision' driving, after that it takes on a more casual approach, but inevitably you will slip and that brings it to the forefront again.
          I remember my first trip there, I was going down a local street and the guy coming the opposite way was holding up 2 fingers at me. I couldn't figure out why he looked so angry when he was giving me the peace sign, until I found out they use one more finger than we do for a certain visual communication!
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

What about Postal workers? I thought some of their vehicles were RHD?
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

I found it to be pretty easy to get the hang of it. The most traumatic moments are the first few when leaving the rental car counter after an overnight flight. It's best to head for the countryside or the motorway at that time, rather than into the city.

I have a British friend who, having lived in the US for many years, got caught on the wrong side of a twisty 2-lane road. A relaxing day at the beach plus one glass of wine and just lost his concentration for a split second. Fortunately, he was driving this beast of a Starsky and Hutch replicar and he won the fender battle.

JR
              JR

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Daryl
                I never did it but I can imagine that the passenger would be the one terrified, if they never did it before.
                My BIL is British. When I ride with him driving on country roads in southern Ohio, it is a profoundly scary experience. The tractors and horse drawn carriages seem to think THEY should be on the right side of the road

Of course, that is his left - where he drives. He starts out on the right, but drifts over when he is not consciously focusing, due to his habit of driving on the left in England.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

I rented a scooter when I went to Phuket, Thailand. Luckily the rental place
                  had ones that didn't require shifting. It didn't take long to figure out which
                  side of the road to be on, but it definitely took conscious thought at
                  intersections and when making right hand turns. My wife did eventually stop
                  squeezing me to death.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

We spent 4 years in Japan and driving on the left was not a problem for me, even when driving LHD military owned vehicles. Like Ray said, that does take a little adjustment to judging distance from the centerline. Being primarily left handed, the left hand shifting wasn't hard to get used to.

After the first year, I came home to get our household goods shipped over when we started an accompanied tour. The first time I drove the street was empty except for me and a cop. It took him a couple of minutes to make me understand why he pulled me over. When I pulled out my license, he saw my ID card and international DL, welcomed me home and let me go about my business.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                    What about Postal workers? I thought some of their vehicles were RHD?
                    All of the delivery trucks (LLV's) are RHD to allow us to service curbside boxes from the seat. If not, we would have to drive on the left against traffic. The exception is rural carriers who deliver from their own vehicles. You just have to pay close attention to your mirrors when you pull out into traffic or go around an obstacle. (The LLV's ave a total of 7 mirrors. flat/convex combo on each door, 2 pot llids on the left front bumper, and a pot lid top left in the rear) The only real problem is if you pull out from a box just after an intersection. A vehicle turning the corner from the right passes behind you before turning and is completely hidden from all the mirrors.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• radhak
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Miramar, FL
                      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I keep visiting Asia and Europe, and while there, get to drive once in a while. By now I enjoy the change; but I make it a point to drive only when traffic is busy; out on the roads in the middle of night, with the road to myself, I'd not trust myself to remember where I was ! On the same vein, I don't drive myself from the airport when I return, or even that that day, just to acclimatize myself.

I heard about some country that recently changed from the LH side of the road to RH side, and the switchover was done at Noon; all traffic was brought to a stop and made to cross over. I wish there was a report on the madness that might have ensued !
                      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                      - Aristotle

Comment

• jackellis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

I've done this in the UK and New Zealand. It take a few minutes to get accustomed and then you're...accustomed. In New Zealand, my wife helped out some

During an 18 month stint in the UK, I think I was behind the wheel on three occasions. Once driving back from Herefordshire, where the first 50 miles were on narrow country tracks, at night. Once driving around Milton Keynes during the day looking for office space with a colleague helping me out. And once in London using a small SUV to move from one apartment to another. No map, no directions. I just remembered what the busses did.

In New Zealand, we started out using a two-driver system. My wife worked the accelerator, brakes, steering and clutch. I shifted for her. Later on I had to drive back to a B&B where I'd left an expensive raincoat...at 140 kPH on a two lane road.

Not really any different than learning to look for traffic in the other direction. You have to concentrate.

Comment

• twistsol
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I only drove once in the UK, from the airport to the hotel. I turned right to go into the hotel parking lot, right across oncoming traffic and nearly got myself and a couple of accountants killed. They didn't let me drive again after that. It never occurred to me to watch for oncoming traffic making a right turn.

Sadly, I'm not much better at driving here in the US.
                          Chr's

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Russell, NY, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Having lived in the UK for several years driving a VW Microbus that was a LHD I never really had a problem, UNTIL one day In Cheltenham where I was on a one way street and going to turn onto a two way street (T junction). For some reason there was a moment where the ole brain went into neutral for a minute, nearly turned into the wrong side of the street. Scary for a bit to say the least! Also had a RHD Austin Healey and can remember reaching out with my left hand grabbing at tall grass along the curb side of narrow country roads.
                            Dumb move but fun..in my younger days did a few DUMD things!
                            RuffSawn
                            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• parnelli
                              • Aug 2004
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by jackellis
                              In New Zealand, we started out using a two-driver system. My wife worked the accelerator, brakes, steering and clutch. I shifted for her.
                              Reading cabinetmans' original post- that's what struck me as the hardest part- I'm not sure I could reliably shift with the wrong hand.

Comment

Working...