What tool would you buy with an extra $50?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

What tool would you buy with an extra $50?

Lets make it harder, say your significant other (or uncle George) takes you into a store and says, "I have a $50 bill to spend on a new tool for you, pick out something you want but might never buy for yourself." Pick a store, HF and 20o/o coupons are OK. Now you don't have to spent the whole $50 but you don't get the change and you can't kick in any money of your own except to pay the tax. (Both sales and the nice dinner after because she was so nice.)

Now, the game is afoot, tell us what you would ask for.

Edit: Loring brings up an interesting point, what if you don't need anything. Well, the only need is to come up with something so as to not disappoint her.

Bill
    just in case it hasn't rained enough for you check out Rainy Mood
    Last edited by Mr__Bill; 01-27-2010, 05:07 PM. Reason: added comment
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

fortunately i am at that point in life where if i see a tool i want for $50, I'll buy it. UNless someone has some cool new tools I don't know about out there, I don't need any $50 tools!
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Mowgli
      • Jan 2010
      • 35 Miles From Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
      • BT3000 - NIB from 10/92!

$49.99 of Fenner Powertwist link belt.
      "I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot" - Holden Caulfield

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

OK Bill...what did you get?

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
          OK Bill...what did you get?
          Laughing, well you see I have this birthday coming up in another month and we don't get to the big city and it's stores all that often, living out here in the boondocks and all. This weekend we will be in Portland and the possibility exists that she will surprise me and I have to be ready. And she always says, 'don't get something you need get something you want.' That makes it hard because I feel that everything I want I need. Now most of the things I can think of or really do need fall in that $100 to OMG price range. I really hate to just get some supplies when there may be something really nifty that I didn't know that I wanted.

Bill
          two days with sun, what will they think of next!

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Here ya go:

The Autowrench

David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
              Lets make it harder, say your significant other (or uncle George) takes you into a store and says, "I have a $50 bill to spend on a new tool for you, pick out something you want but might never buy for yourself."
              That is a tough one I usually end up getting what I want, especially if it's < $50. (At least it's that way according to my wife )

Some of the cool things that I can think of won't be at a store in Portland, there is a woodcraft there though.
              An Incra T-rule
              I've been wanting one of their protractors for a while http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...rotractor.aspx
              The Pinnacle 36" rule is nice too http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...king-Rule.aspx Center finding on one side, regular graduations on the other.

Woodcraft's Gifts under $50 page has some items I'd like (but haven't gought myself yet) http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/20...der-%2450.aspx
              Erik

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                • Dec 2005
                • Russell, NY, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Guess I'd get one of those digital angle thingings; or maybe a GOOD mortice chisel; start with a 1/4" and work up to 3/4". Maybe one each month!
                RuffSawn
                Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Gift card.... cause $50 isn't going to cover it, lol
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Rob25
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2006
                    • UP Michigan
                    • BT 3000

I recieved a Dozuki saw for Christmas, and I was pretty happy. If I had an extra fifty, I would look at some water stones for sharpening chisels, and maybe a holder, or a spiral upcut or downcut bit... Thats just me though.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1062

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Redford MI.
                      • Craftsman 21829

Do they make something with at sanity button on it?

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Due to timing, my B-day falls at the tail end of the gifting season in our house. So my birthday gifts tend to be on the small side... This year was interesting... A PSI bowl sander (LBSAND) and a pack of sanding disks... I haven't had a bowl blank get close enough to done without me finding a major crack in it, or the tenon shearing off and the blank bouncing off my skull yet, but I am hopeful!

Come to think of it, with my luck with turning bowls, maybe I need a full face motorcycle helmet as PPE when I turn them...

Oh, on the sander, don't bother looking on PSI's web site, they don't list it, but it is in the catalog...
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

Does it really have to be a tool? How about some wood, that would be too expensive for a normal project, but you would like to put a bit in something?
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2007
                            • Sunshine State
                            • BT3000

If I see a tool I like for $50, I'll watch it until it goes up to $100, then I'll steal it...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Tacoma, WA
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by crokett
                              Here ya go:

The Autowrench

David, that's just cruel

Originally posted by pelligrini
                              That's a good one, hadn't thought of it, I'll add it to the list, thanks.

Originally posted by L. D. Jeffries
                              Guess I'd get one of those digital angle thingings;
                              OK, that's on the list too.

Originally posted by chopnhack
                              Gift card.... cause $50 isn't going to cover it, lol
                              Has to be something she can see and hold in her hands so she can give it to me.

Originally posted by Rob25
                              I recieved a Dozuki saw for Christmas, and I was pretty happy. If I had an extra fifty, I would look at some water stones for sharpening chisels, and maybe a holder, or a spiral upcut or downcut bit... Thats just me though.
                              Spiral bits are a good idea. I have an inexpensive version of the Dozuki saw, a real one might be nice.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                              Does it really have to be a tool? How about some wood, that would be too expensive for a normal project, but you would like to put a bit in something?
                              Has to be a thinginge she can see and point to every so often and ask how I like it.

Lots of good ideas, thanks a lot guys. Now I just hope she doesn't do the $50 bill thing someplace like the Bass shoe outlet store

Bill
                              On the Sunny Oregon Coast

Comment

Working...