What shop skills did you learn/master last year?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

What shop skills did you learn/master last year?

I was thinking over the last year while I was out in the shop and found I hard learned several new things this past year.

I now am acquainted with the card scraper and have learned to use it. The sound of it scraping is much more pleasant than a sander. Now if I could just master turning a burr, I still struggle with that.

I got an HVLP system and learned to use it. Much less messy that my old compressor and gun rig. Cleanup is still a drag...

I learned that sucking a shop rag into the dust collector is not a good thing.

I learned to use my jointer and planer to good effect. Buying rough cut wood is cheaper and I can size to whatever I need, and I have a lot more selection. Critical to this was learning to resaw.

I discovered how much kickback can hurt. I sure wish I had those teeth back.

What did you learn this year if you care to share.?
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I learned to do two things I hadn't done before, and one of those I have more or less mastered. Hand planing, and turning. I got planing down pretty well. Turning is an entirely different story, but it IS fun...

I also learned that a dado in the wrong place on a shop fixture isn't a disaster, it's an opportunity to learn how to patch a project...

I learned that I am able to enjoy the process of creating even if the end result stinks.

And lastly, I learned that the pursuit of perfection with wood is pointless. Woodworking is an art form, and by definition the media being worked with (wood) has its own ideas on what the end result will be, and no matter how much skill or effort you throw at it, the wood will get its way.
    Last edited by dbhost; 01-02-2010, 08:43 PM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Well I built my shop last year..... I learned where there is enough will, there is a way. I also learned how to move big and heavy things around by myself.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I finally perfected my ability to blend in with the shop wall like a chameleon and go invisible whenever LOML comes out there to ask me to be somewhere else...

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

LOL, please tell me you didnt really lose any teeth in a kickback accident!
          This year was slow with small children underfoot, however, handcut dovetails were learned sufficiently to use on projects and some handplaning as well.

Maybe this year I will learn to cleanup and setup shop.....I think I said that last year too....time will tell
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

I learned to turn pens between centers without a mandrel and mastered the CA/BLO finish.
            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• germdoc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Omaha, NE
              • BT3000--the gray ghost

I improved my pen-turning skills, made a guitar and made a large cabinet. I have gotten pretty good at distressing things, i.e., making them ugly after I have just built them....
              Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Originally posted by germdoc
                I have gotten pretty good at distressing things, i.e., making them ugly after I have just built them....
                I just make 'em ugly while I'm building them... saves time...

Comment

• dkerfoot
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Holland, Michigan
                  • Craftsman 21829

Great thread - I added more tools/skills than I realized.
                  • I started using a card scraper as well and improved my hand plane skills.
                  • Bought a used Shopsmith MK5 and started turning this year - mostly bowls.
                  • Bought a jointer & planer and began dimensioning rough lumber.
                  • Biggest addition - I got much better at learning to take my time and work for details. I also started looking at all home projects with a much more detailed eye.
                  Doug Kerfoot
                  "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                  "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                  KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I did my first hand cut dovetails this year, and also installed my first gas line...not "wwing", but definitely "shop" related.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Otter
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Cumming, GA, USA.
                      • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

I learned how easy it is not to be in the shop.
                      All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2003
                        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                        • BT3100

After about 100 hundred hours of Anger Management classes, I no longer throw the first & usually heaviest and expensive thing nearest to me against the shop wall/bandsaw/drill press/jointer when I screw up something.

Now all I do is punch holes in the sheetrock, waaaay easier and less expensive to repair (if I even bother), as long as you don't count the cost of fixing a broken fist.

Bruce
                        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• RAFlorida
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Learned to keep my script safety

glasses on my face. The small print on the tape measure can be seen with the glasses on, and the boards aren't a quarter inch short!

Comment

• Hoakie
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Iowa
                            • Craftsman 21829

I learned how to spend lots of $$ on tools AND stay married at the same time.....at least until she finds out
                            John
                            To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • On the TARDIS
                              • BT 3100

I took up wood turning in 09. It actually encompassed a number of skills. Not necesarily in this order, the skills are as follows.

The basic ins and outs of turning, mostly pens, pencils, key rings, and bottle stoppers.
                              How to maintain sharp turning tools, including the construction of a jig to work with my bench grinder.
                              Finishing with BLO/CA.
                              I learned that my DP was not as acurate as I once thought. I was able to tune the DP table and now it is dead acurate for drilling blanks.

Although I still stuggle with woodworking skills, I still remember- An expert at anything was once a beginner.
                              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...