• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Just Ordered This Router After

1 too many reboots of my current Netgear. I've had to power cycle it about 5 times a week on average for a while now. Either the laptops don't connect wirelessly or they are connected and things start timing out, or both. The latest was yesterday it timed out no less than 5 times. This gets tiresome when I am WFH and my VPN connection, etc goes down because the router is timing out. I also made sure it has a print server on it so I can connect the printer to it and run Linux full-time on the desktop. Any Windows programs I need I have Virtual Box for. Plus it has the capability to run WRT if I decide to upgrade to it. My current one doesn't.

My wife only cares that printing is now simpler to troubleshoot since she can print directly to the printer.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-WL-520GU-...ecc_rvi_cart_1
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

To show you how long i have been using the same router... I wasn't even aware that Asus was making them, and I am still running an old SMC 8 port with a parallel port for a printer connection.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I bought the current one (a Netgear) because the previous one I had was a Netgear and it was bullet proof. One day it just up and died. I don't know why. The current one used to be a once or twice a week reboot which is acceptable. There was also a weird problem with the websites of some friends where I couldn't see pictures they hosted. I would get half a picture and the rest would be a gray square. If I bypassed the router and/or viewed the pages at work the pictures showed up just fine.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

i thought you were getting a bosch 1617evs
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          i thought you were getting a bosch 1617evs

Nope. I already own a DeWalt 621 and a PC 690 that is table mounted.
          David

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

I think we need a separate section for computer questions. From the thread title I was was assuming you were looking for something that goes 'round and 'round, not Beep Beep.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Redford MI.
              • Craftsman 21829

I get p.o.'ed if I have to reboot my linksys router at home more than 1 time per month.
              At work if I have to reboot my linux router computer more than 1 time a year I get really angry.

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by BobSch
                I think we need a separate section for computer questions. From the thread title I was was assuming you were looking for something that goes 'round and 'round, not Beep Beep.
                Actually, so do I but at the same time that isn't really the primary mission of BT3Central. How about we all agree that if it is a router (the tool) we post it in Tool Talk but if is a router (the computer gadget) it goes in Off-Topic?
                David

Comment

• Norm in Fujino
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
                  • Ryobi BT-3000

About the only thing I'm certain will lock up my router is for me to try and access anyone's blog on blogspot.com. I can't for the life of me figure out why, but as soon as I go to blogspot, I'm locked up and have to turn the router off/on--and hopefully get my internet connection back.
                  ==========
                  ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
                  Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Almost makes you wonder if the router companies actually
                    have their equipment set to fail or secretly download a
                    "patch" so they fail on their own. My router reboots are
                    becoming mor often too.

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Paul,

Nice thought but it seems self-defeating since the new router is not a Netgear like the current one is. Why would anyone buy the same brand they have problems with?
                      David

Comment

• just started
                        • Mar 2008
                        • suburban Philly

The only time my LinkSys gets rebooted is when I have a power outage, which has been about 3 times in the 10 or so years I've had the router.

Comment

• cgallery
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Milwaukee, WI
                          • BT3K

I'm a big fan of the dd-wrt firmware. I'm running it on quite a few routers.

I use it in conjunction w/ opendns, which I use to help block spyware. Opendns also allows me to block site categories for clients (so employees can't sit on facebook all day long).

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by just started
                            The only time my LinkSys gets rebooted is when I have a power outage, which has been about 3 times in the 10 or so years I've had the router.
                            Yeah, my first router was a Netgear. I got a deal on it - it was a small-business class and it just kept chugging. I never had to restart it that I know of. 7 years later it up and died. Have no idea why. I replaced with the current one, Netgear again and it is crap.
                            David

Comment

• FL Buckeye
                              Established Member
                              • Aug 2005
                              • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
                              • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

Don't know anything about the ASUS routers, but have heard mostly good about their laptops and note books. Having the print server built in is a plus.
                              I have a Linksys WRT54G and WRT54GL, with both running tomato. The OEM was probably good enough but I like to tinker. I have never had to reset either except after a power outage or when my tinkering caused a problem.

I used to be responsible for a network of IBM ATM switches and Cisco routers. They got reset regularly as IBM always had updates to the ATM firmware that I had to download to my laptop and then upload to the switches. Have been away from the latest & greatest for a few years and don't have the time nor $$ to keep up. I am trying to figure out how to connect one wireless router to another so may have to open a new thread to get some ideas, but will wait till after the holidays.
                              Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

Working...