• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

I Swallowed My Pride

I have had a hearing problem for years but just haven't done anything about it because I didn't want to wear hearing aids. LOML talked me into getting a hearing test and it confirmed what I already knew. Well, now I have a pair of hearing aids on order and hope to have them next week. It's going to be nice to hear properly again.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • master53yoda
    Established Member
    • Oct 2008
    • Spokane Washington
    • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I bit the bullet last year and have kicked myself for waiting 10 years. I had no Idea how much i was missing. the first time i walked into a boiler room with variable speed pumps the pump motor had a whine and i was looking for the boiler that was in alarm. I had never heard the motor whine before. You will enjoy them very much.
    Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• DUD
      Royal Jester
      • Dec 2002
      • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I have been wearing them now for several years, I can't say that I love them all the

time. The good part is when woodworking You don't have to wear hearing protection,

just turn them off, also You don't get sawdust in your ears. Bill
      5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• billwmeyer
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Weir, Ks, USA.
        • BT3000

I need them too, but have been putting it off. I was never happy with what my parents got, and my sister went high dollar, but doesn't hear that well with them. I will get them eventually, I guess, but I am resisting as long as I can.

Bill
        "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

I have a digital ear piece. It can be reset for different volumes and tones.
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• germdoc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Omaha, NE
            • BT3000--the gray ghost

I imagine I will need them sometime in the next decade or so. I have a lot of tinnitus now which most of the time I can ignore. I kind of enjoy asking people to "speak up, so I can hear you"...
            Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I'm pretty sure I could use a little help in that area myself. I was tested a few years back and the results showed some hearing loss but not enough to warrant needing an aid yet. I think my hearing may have gotten worse though since I was tested. I find it very irritating when I'm not able to understand what someone is saying to me because the background noise seems to overpower their speech. I suppose that one of these days I'll have to get roundtoit and get retested again. I'll trade pride/vanity for hearing and seeing any day of the week.

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

I'm surprised so many have a problem like that. I have a problem understanding what people are saying, quite often. That's especially true when they don't speak like we do locally, or if they just talk fast. Hearing tests indicate that I'll just have to live with it. High frequency sounds have given me trouble for quite a few years. Somebody told me something about the "Golden Years", but I didn't understand them.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• scmhogg
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                  • BT3000

Dick,

Be persistent and don't settle for aids that don't work well for you. My MIL switched three or four times before she found a match.

So far, my hearing is OK. Which I think is pretty lucky. When I was in the Army, they didn't provide any hearing protection, other than your fingers. After a day on the rifle range I can remember nothing but ringing. Also, I was in the artillery, with 4.2 mortars and 105's. The absolute worst was the 106 mm recoilless rifle.

Steve
                  I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Habe
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

I have worn behind the ear aids for 3 years, I am on my second pair due to a change in my hearing that went beyond what the other aids could correct for. I went with behind the ear because I want to hear and they have the best power. I feel that if you don't like the look thats your problem, they help me hear.
                    Habe

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

I have the opposite problem... I can hear what people say. Sometimes I wish I could turn off a volume control someplace and get some peace and quiet.

Comment

• jackellis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

LOML keeps bugging me to get a hearing test. My problem has little to do with hearing and a lot to do with listening

Comment

• tseavoy
                          Established Member
                          • May 2009
                          • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
                          • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

Several years ago I bought a hearing aid from Costco. It is a behind the ear type. In my experience, all it did was to make the sounds I did not want to hear much easier to hear. Mostly higher frequency stuff. It did not help my hearing in crowds or with background noise. My one on one hearing is pretty good.
                          I haven't worn it for some time.

Tom on Marrowstone

Comment

• twistsol
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                            I have the opposite problem... I can hear what people say. Sometimes I wish I could turn off a volume control someplace and get some peace and quiet.
                            That's what iPods were really invented for
                            Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

LOML gets mad at me when I can hear a whisper across the room but I can't hear her talking to me across the table!

I have above average low frequency hearing, but mid range and higher, considerable hearing loss. I can hear rumbles, earthquakes, wind, ACs, transformer hum easily. Wind, AC and heaters blowers greatly subdue voice range sounds to me. I really have trouble hearing a TV while an AC is on!
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...