Error. Operation failed. An object cannot be found.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Error. Operation failed. An object cannot be found.

I've been trying to find the cause of this error on my Outlook 2007 (Vista Ultimate with all packs and updates). I don't think I'm a computer numpty, but here's what I tried so far, without any success:
    • New mail profile(s)
    • Repair .pst errors
    • Re-install Outlook
    • Re-install Office
    • Run Diagnostics
    • Delete all .srs files
    • Search the Internet until I'm square-eyed

I note that some Internet posts refer to using "Detect and Repair," which I can't seem to find. Another thing that Outlook won't do (in the "Other" "Advanced" settings dialog) is to allow me to 'Start In' my "Contacts" folder (which is what I use Outlook for) - it repeatedly returns to "Inbox" as soon as I quit the options box. I suspect that this may be connected in some bizarre, Microsoft-type way!

At the stage where you can test account settings, I always get a successful result on both Send and Receive, yet Outlook will NOT otherwise send e-mail, giving the post-title error above.

I have the "My server requires authentication" box ticked and I've tried "Use same settings as incoming mail" and typing the settings in manually. In both cases I get successful test results, yet still it will NOT send mail.

It's always received e-mail OK and I use another dedicated e-mail client for everyday use, but I just can't stand having an application that doesn't work - as those who know me can probably imagine!

Ray
    Did I offend you? Click here.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I really wish I could help you, but I'm just a woodworker, with very limited computer skills. I've run into problems similar to that and have spent time trying to fix them, along with searching for a Q&A or tutorials for a fix.

I hate to admit it, but there were times that we call our computer guy (we have him on speed dial). Ironically, what we spend hours pondering over he comes in and does some clicking and voila!

Hopefully one of the whizzes here will have your answer.

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by RayintheUK
      I've been trying to find the cause of this error on my Outlook 2007 (Vista Ultimate with all packs and updates). I don't think I'm a computer numpty, but here's what I tried so far, without any success:
      Make sure you don't have two .pst files with the same name, THEN try creating a new profile:

You can search for *.pst in the explorer window to find all the .pst files. If you have two with the same name, that can cause this kind of problem.
      --------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• RayintheUK
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by woodturner
        Make sure you don't have two .pst files with the same name, THEN try creating a new profile.
        Only one .pst file exists.

Ray

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Ray,

I found this:

"Try starting Outlook from the command line and specify /cleanrules.
          This will erase all rules so users will have to re-create them."
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Originally posted by RayintheUK
            I have the "My server requires authentication" box ticked and I've tried "Use same settings as incoming mail" and typing the settings in manually. In both cases I get successful test results, yet still it will NOT send mail.
            Just to be clear, when configuring your email account, did you select the button at the lower left "Manually configure server settings or additional server types"? This is the path I have always had to use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	email acct window.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	784559
            Last edited by JR; 09-29-2009, 09:54 AM.
            JR

Comment

• RayintheUK
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by crokett
              Try starting Outlook from the command line and specify /cleanrules. This will erase all rules so users will have to re-create them.
              A useful switch to know, but no cigar this time.

Originally posted by JR
              Just to be clear, when configuring your email account, did you select the button at the lower left "Manually configure server settings or additional server types"?
              I did exactly that, John.

Ray

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

I seem to recall having something similar happen to me. I'm referring to the email configuration, not the problem of starting in mail vs. contacts.

Mine is now set up with "Remember Password" checked, but "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" unchecked. Then, selecting the "More Settings" radio button, select the Outgoing Server tab. Select the check box for "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" plus "Use the same settings as my incoming mail server".

If that doesn't work, drop back seven yards and punt. Sorry, I don't know the equivalent rugby analogy.

HTH,
                JR
                JR

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I'd offer up some help here, but I am a Linux admin. Windows just isn't my cup of tea...

I did have a question though... What is a numpty?
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
                    I'd offer up some help here, but I am a Linux admin. Windows just isn't my cup of tea...

I did have a question though... What is a numpty?
                    From urbandictionary.com:

Numpty

Scottish usage:
                    a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

b) A good humoured admonition, a term of endearment

c) A reckless, absent minded or unwise person
                    a) "No. That wisnae wit she meant, ya big numpty!"

b) i.e. "Silly billy", "You big dafty"

c) "That numpty's driving with no lights on!"
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• RayintheUK
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by JR
                      Mine is now set up with "Remember Password" checked, but "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" unchecked. Then, selecting the "More Settings" radio button, select the Outgoing Server tab. Select the check box for "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" plus "Use the same settings as my incoming mail server".
                      Again, exactly my configuration process - that's why this glitch is so annoying, it's been fine for months and I've not made any changes. I guess that something else, installed somewhere else, has decided to mess things up (typical Windows MO), but I still can't account for the defaulting to "Inbox" and I still can't find "Detect and Repair.

Ray

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

On my Windows 7 machine, I can click Control Panel, then click 'Find and Fix Problems'. Does Vista have it in a similar location?
                        David

Comment

• RayintheUK
                          Veteran Member
                          • Sep 2003
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by crokett
                          On my Windows 7 machine, I can click Control Panel, then click 'Find and Fix Problems'. Does Vista have it in a similar location?
                          Yes - Problem Reports and Solutions - no luck there either.

Ray

Comment

• crokett
                            The Full Monte
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Mebane, NC, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Well you might try Thunderbird as an email client workaround. I haven't used it in a very long time so I don't remember if it will import your outlook contacts or .pst files. Ever since gmail I switched over to just using web-based. Another option would be web-based email.
                            Last edited by crokett; 09-29-2009, 08:10 PM.
                            David

Comment

• MilDoc

Can't tell if you've tried all this yet, but here is the Microsoft solution:

Microsoft support is here to help you with Microsoft products. Find how-to articles, videos, and training for Microsoft Copilot, Microsoft 365, Windows, Surface, and more.

and

Comment

Working...