• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Cat Pee In Subfloor

Friends have moved into house where the previous residents had a cat who liked a corner of the livingroom to do her business. They tore up the carpet but the pee is soaked into the subfloor. Tearing up the subfloor is one option past the last option. I thought of soaking bleach into the area but I'm open to any other suggestions.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

I understand that vinegar will help neutrilize the smell.

Bill
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Copper
      Established Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Madison, WI.
      • BT3100

The enzyme-based pet urine removers work okay (and they don't smell as bad as bleach). You have to give them a little time to work. You should be able to pick some up at a pet store. A black light would also help you find all of the spots to make sure you get everything.
      - Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
      and yes, it's a potato.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Originally posted by Copper
        The enzyme-based pet urine removers work okay (and they don't smell as bad as bleach). You have to give them a little time to work.
        One of my kids used that stuff, with good results. Probably a better bet than bleach.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I have used the pet urine remover / black light trick. It works. Kind of slow, but it works...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Enzyme-based pet urine removers work, they do take some time. A carpet cleaner guy told me that putting a really heavy coat of poly over the spot will seal the odor in, however he cautioned that you should use only oil based poly and using the other will just allow the smell to surface. I put a whole gallon on the sub-floor where a dog had used the carpet as a bathroom. I just poured it on and spread it with a squeegee. It sealed in the smell. In the basement on the concrete I used the enzyme-based stuff and then left it with the new tenant. She said it took about 3 months and several more gallons to get it where the smell was gone.

Bill

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Concur with the suggestions for the enzyme products. Bleach does not neutralize the base cause for the odor. It only disinfects, and then remains to cause problems of its own. The enzyme stuff is formulated specifically for this use, and I have had better-than-average luck with it in the past.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                • Aug 2007
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • BT-3000, 21829

I had this problem when we moved into our house 35 years ago. The 70 year old oak flooring had a black stain 2 1/2' in diameter. We tried everything then available.

Wound up tearing up a large chunk of floor and subfloor and replacing it. Still, even now on a warm, humid day we get a faint reminder of the former tenants.
                You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• headhunter636
                  Established Member
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Federal Way, WA
                  • Ryobi BT 3000

I may be wrong, but soaking the sub-floor could actually warp or damage the sub-floor couldn't it? Also, do your friends have any pets or plan on getting one? Even with the smell gone to our noses, a dog or cat will smell it right away and probably use the same spot. I know it is a pain, but I would replace that part of the sub-floor.

Dave
                  Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• catta12
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Reno, NV
                    • BTS20R

Enzyme treatment, then coat with Kilz paint.
                    If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• DaveS
                      • May 2003
                      • Minneapolis,MN

Why can't you tear up that part of the sub floor?

I have done this before, and it really isn't that hard.

Even with all the suggestions here - the smell might come back... for example, on humid days.

At that point, the nice, new flooring will be down, and it will be twice as painful to rip it up and replace the subfloor.

A whole sheet of new subfloor would cost less than a gallon of "nature's miracle" enzyme stuff.

Comment

• Bill Stock
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Canada, Eh!
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                        Friends have moved into house where the previous residents had a cat who liked a corner of the livingroom to do her business. They tore up the carpet but the pee is soaked into the subfloor. Tearing up the subfloor is one option past the last option. I thought of soaking bleach into the area but I'm open to any other suggestions.

The best I've used are the Oxygen based cleaners, Hydrogen Peroxide. A Canadian source is here: http://www.greenforlife.ca/downloads...stBrochure.pdf. Much cheaper than buying water from the pet store. Chlorine Dioxide also works well, but it will do you serious harm if not used properly.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                          Veteran Member
                          • Oct 2006
                          • On the TARDIS
                          • BT 3100

Lots of great tips guys, thanks.

I should have mentioned before that these people will only be renting and the landlord is giving them a free month plus expenses if they can take care of the problem before the new carpet comes in.
                          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• jziegler
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2005
                            • Salem, NJ, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Shellac can be pretty good at sealing in odors. The enzyme cleaners can be hit or miss. Nature's Miracle is said by some to not be as good as it once was and is probably the most popular brand, but there are many others.

Jim

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2003
                              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                              • BT3100

I used the bleach approach, dumped about a gallon of it on the sub floor (plywood) and let it set there for a few days (the house was unoccupied at the time, the area measured about 4' square. Worked like a charm.

My cats never used that spot again. The replacement flooring was Pergo, not carpet as before. Maybe that had something to do with it.

I'ts cheap enough to try.

Bruce
                              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...