• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Medco Rant

You would think that a doctors prescription would be filled by the pharmacy. Not that simple. It seems there is a 'pre-authorization' required. It's like the pharmacy wants to determine that there aren't other drugs to be tried first (or cheaper) before the one prescribed will be filled.

I'm going through that right now, and between the doctors office, their automated ordering service, the insurance company and Medco, it's been going back and forth for over 3 weeks.

Good thing it's not an anti-hallucinogen that I'm out of and waiting for.

Rant over.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
    You would think that a doctors prescription would be filled by the pharmacy. Not that simple. It seems there is a 'pre-authorization' required. It's like the pharmacy wants to determine that there aren't other drugs to be tried first (or cheaper) before the one prescribed will be filled.

I'm going through that right now, and between the doctors office, their automated ordering service, the insurance company and Medco, it's been going back and forth for over 3 weeks.

Rant over.
    Me, too, only its Tel-Drug (Cigna prescription service). TelDrug wants me to try generic similar function medicines, not generic equivalents (there is no current generic equiv). Doc says it's been working for 6 years, doesn't want to risk making changes. I'm caught in the middle now for 4 weeks (doc gave me some from his sample stock). To complicate things, I'm changing insurance companies Sept 1. It's not going to be resolved before then. Sigh.
    Is this a taste of socialized medicine?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

Originally posted by cabinetman
      Now I get to use this picture.
      ps. I am not making fun of your prediciment.
      Attached Files
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I have had the Medco problems with my current insurance provider. It seems Medco, not the insurer, decides which "tier" of co-pay there is on each drug, and whether there will be a requirement to use a cheaper, not identical, medical alternative. They're the same kind folks who put a $30 co-pay on the $31.80 box of needle points that I must use on my insulin pen. I get a benefit of $1.80 (that's 60 cents a month, as the box lasts for three months), and pay a monthly premium of $1050.00...

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Nope.

JR
          JR

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Nope, this is greedy business people making health care decisions for you, a prime example of why health care insurance needs to be overhauled.

Bill,

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

About 8-10 years ago, Medco was the best out there, IMHO. My company switched to Caremark, which was an unmitigated disaster. They finally went back to Medco, and apparently in the interim they have slid downhill considerably.
              Ya can't win!
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN
                • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                Nope, this is greedy business people making health care decisions for you, a prime example of why health care insurance needs to be overhauled.

Bill,
                I don't think you can say that unless you know the specifics. There are a lot of Prior Authorization programs that are created to drive down costs for both the plan and the comsumer. And many times, the plan is not the insurance company, but the emlpoyer. Again, I can't speak for this situation, but oftentimes there are alternatives that provide clinically equivalent outcomes at a lower cost. Dr's don't necessarily know the most about drugs, and do not always take the time to look at what alternatives there are out there. That's what pharmacists and pharmacy managers do.

OK, that's my $0.02.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • On the TARDIS
                  • BT 3100

It's not just you guys...it's international. My insurance wanted me to buy a membershop from Costco( 55 dollars per year) and drive a 50 mile round trip so they could save five dollars on filling persciptions.
                  From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Jim Frye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Maumee, OH, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Insurance prescriptions...

The next time your insurance fills a script for you by mail, check out the name of the drug company that supplied it. It should be on the label. Our insurance pharmacy, NextRx, is sourcing some stuff from India. And the last administration was warning us that we could not buy our drugs from other countries because they could not trust the quality of the medication. Yes, the US health care system does need an overhaul and a ton of oversight. /end rant/
                    Jim Frye
                    The Nut in the Cellar.
                    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• parnelli
                      • Aug 2004
                      • bt3100

Long boring info ahead:

Medco/Caremark/Express Scripts are all pharmacy benefit managers(PBM). In essence someone like United or BlueCross or whomever pays them to deal with the prescription side of things so they don't have to. So the formulary (which meds are preferred or non-preferred) is decided amongst really all three mentioned- your employer, the insurance company and also the PBM.

They can decide how much different levels of drugs cost; 10/20 30/60 etc, and they can decide if you must get prior authorization, or try alternates for certain medicines or if certain things are blocked completely.

As for Dr's not knowing the most about drugs- yes and no I suppose. Keep in mind the sheer number of drugs a general practice doc must remember and all the details, dosing, side effects, etc etc. You'd be surprised at how much they remember! But that said, no- they can't remember everything and certainly which drug is on which formulary and which formulary you might have are pretty close to the top of the list!

As for the pharmacist- years ago I'd readily agree that they had your best interest in mind and nothing else- but lets be honest- everything is a business. The pharmacist does sometimes get a bonus for getting people to switch to generics (higher profit margin) and they typically are ranked by generic usage by corporate- a little peer pressure. While cost is important- it's rarely the only important factor to consider.

And yes- many of the generics come from India from companies like Dr. Reddy's etc. Even at $4, WalMart's making money on those prescriptions.

Comment

• jackellis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

Someone somewhere recently published a study that found some of the brand name drugs that were advertised on TV were no more effective than older drugs used for the same purpose. I wish I had a link because I'd like to read the story instead of just writing heresay.

I would be fine with drugs from India. Not from China (at least not yet) and not from most of the rest of the developed world, but so far India has been pretty careful to defend its reputation against shoddy business practices.

When its my turn to lean on the system, I fully expect either the doctor or the pharmacist to provide me with the most cost-effective medications, not the most expensive ones.

Good thing I can tolerate aspirin. I'd hate to spring for Tylenol or one of those other fancy pain relievers

Comment

• Ed62
                          The Full Monte
                          • Oct 2006
                          • NW Indiana
                          • BT3K

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                          It's not just you guys...it's international. My insurance wanted me to buy a membershop from Costco( 55 dollars per year) and drive a 50 mile round trip so they could save five dollars on filling persciptions.
                          It seems like it would be to their advantage to pay the membership cost for you. We use Costco, almost exclusively for meds. Where Walgreens might want $175.00 to fill a prescription, Costco might want less than $20.00 for the same thing. I know that seems like it's too good to be true, but my wife has had a prescription or two where that was actually the case. That's not always the case, but Costco has usually been much more affordable, and they are always cheaper. Don't get me started on Walgreens because I might not know when to shut up.

Ed
                          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2007
                            • Sunshine State
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by Ed62
                            I might not know when to shut up.
                            Welcome to the brotherhood...

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by parnelli
                              Medco/Caremark/Express Scripts are all pharmacy benefit managers(PBM).
                              Yep. Just another layer making a profit from "health care." Yet folks worry about "single payer" "socialized" (scare word there) medicine?

As for Dr's not knowing the most about drugs- yes and no I suppose.
                              Oh come on. Not THAT hard, although I would admit most "docs" get their info on the "latest & greatest" from drug reps. Rather than from great sources like the "Pharmacy Letter," etc.

And yes- many of the generics come from India from companies like Dr. Reddy's etc. Even at $4, WalMart's making money on those prescriptions.
                              And have those generics been tested? probably not.

Comment

Working...