• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I got a G router because i consider them expendable and limited life and expect it to be broken by the time I really need a "N" model, given my previous experience.
    I have 54 or more Mbits/sec speed with the G and my internet connection is around 6 Mbit/sec. I don't have a need for really voluminous traffic between my computers within my home network.

Obviously there's a big market for them, about half the wireless routers for sale at Best Buy were G-types when I went looking a couple of months ago.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-16-2009, 11:13 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

We've always used LynkSys and it's been very trouble free.

Comment

• pierhogunn
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

I run a buffalo whr-54g-hp, with DD-WRT v.24 on it, I haven't had to touch the router in about a year, it runs great, has lots of extra features, that while I don't need them now, the moment one of my little ones figures out how to interact with a computer, I will need

down to the minute usage monitoring and control, per client
        packet inspecting firewall
        all sorts of client security
        bandwidth monitoring
        intrusion detection, etc.
        oh, and I can jack the power up on my transmitter to drown out all other signals
        THe site survey feature is quite good for choosing a non-congested channel
        you name it, dd-wrt can do it.
        It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• BerniePA
          Established Member
          • Nov 2007
          • San Tan Valley, AZ
          • Grizzly 0575

I am running an old Belkin "G" that must be 6 or 7 years old and the only time I have to touch it is to reset it if I completly loose my internet connection and I need to reboot it. Another piece of gear that survived the move from Arizona to PA. That said, IF I were to look for a replacement TODAY, it would be another Belkin in the new "N", just to be ready.

Oh, BTW, this router has run with at least two different brand cards in desktop machines and God only knows what is in the Compac and HP laptops currently also on the network.
          Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• tseavoy
            Established Member
            • May 2009
            • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
            • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

I would recommend Porter Cable.
            Seriously, I have a Linksys and have no complaint with it.

Tom on Marrowstone

If at first you don't succeed, stop and have a beer.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

I've had really good luck with linksys products, and they're usually easy to navigate the setup. I let a co-worker talk me into getting a Cisco for the office, I still haven't figured it out and I'm done trying.

I replaced an old Linksys B with a pretty slick N a year or so ago. The range greatly improved, especially out in the shop. The 3 antennas lets me zero the signals fairly well at some localized places. The security also worked with my pocketPC. It also has a 4 port gigabit switch that might be useful someday if I ever upgrade my home network machines. I don't even come close to max out the 100Mb network as it is now.

I wished I had waited a little bit longer to purchase as they came out with a similar model with USB ports for hard drive connections.
              Erik

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Wow - look at that! 51% for Linksys! Gives me a rethink.

And a substantial number for 'other'. Is all that for Apple Airport, or is there a different 'other' I didn't think of?
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by radhak
                  Wow - look at that! 51% for Linksys! Gives me a rethink.

And a substantial number for 'other'. Is all that for Apple Airport, or is there a different 'other' I didn't think of?
                  Linksys has a higher percentadge of the Windows world, as well as the Linux world, due to using it in several routers, so your result isn't too surprising.

I don't think you would have any issues with Apple, I just think there are less Apple people here to recommend one. If you place it between those two, see what kind of deals you get.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I think I'm spending too much time reading woodworking forums... a "wireless router"... did the guy mean "cordless".... I wonder how long the battery lasts?

Now that I've opened it, I see what we're talking about!

I use a Netgear WRN834B, which is an "N Adapter".

I like it, as it has two settings, one of which is labeled "neighbor friendly". I can pickup the signal almost anywhere on the property with no problem. The one exception being right in the room where the router is located. Not sure why that is, but the laptop isn't recognized by the router if it's within that roughly 10 ft area. (Maybe someone can explain that.) Everywhere else in the house and out on the deck, the signal is flawless.

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I've had Dlink and Linksys, hated both of them. Have always had excellent results with Netgear stuff...

If you do a lot of large file transfer to say a home NAS device you might want to seriously consider wired gigabit though...
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith
                        ...The one exception being right in the room where the router is located. Not sure why that is, but the laptop isn't recognized by the router if it's within that roughly 10 ft area. (Maybe someone can explain that.) Everywhere else in the house and out on the deck, the signal is flawless.

CWS

Could be that the signal is too strong... any receiver can be overloaded by a transmitter that's too close and not work correctly. Can't tell if the signal from the laptop is too strong at the router's receiver or vice versa (router transmitter too strong at the laptop receiver) or both. the signal a few feet away vs a few hundred feet away is 10,000 times stronger.

If the router has an external antenna try repositioning the antenna horizontal if its vertical or vice versa.

You might also look an see if the Router has a transmit strength control... lowering its output would decrease the range of the farthest unit but make a close unit work. If you have penty of signal in the area you need it then that might be what you need. I seem to remmeber the N units have this control.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-18-2009, 11:57 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I have a very insightful (I believe) question : as I rarely (if ever) transfer files between my computers, does it matter if I never get away from 'b' version?

As I said, I am now on my very old router (which I now think is a 'b') while I ponder which new one to buy - and it seems to work very well with most of my internet habits, considering that I don't do heavy downloads too often.
                          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Not if you don't use things like You Tube or online radio and such.

(You tube while surfing could be a good test)
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by radhak
                              I have a very insightful (I believe) question : as I rarely (if ever) transfer files between my computers, does it matter if I never get away from 'b' version?

As I said, I am now on my very old router (which I now think is a 'b') while I ponder which new one to buy - and it seems to work very well with most of my internet habits, considering that I don't do heavy downloads too often.
                              Can you still buy a "b" only router? I haven't checked but would be surprised if they are still readily available - other than someone selling a used one.
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• radhak
                                Veteran Member
                                • Apr 2006
                                • Miramar, FL
                                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                                Not if you don't use things like You Tube or online radio and such.

(You tube while surfing could be a good test)
                                Interesting - maybe that's why I have not seen any problems. The main wintel desktop is wired to the router and that's the only one used for all that content (the girls of the house visit Youtube et al).

My office laptop is wireless and blocked from all the 'fun' stuff, ie anything that could get addictive (good they don't know the addiction BT3C can be!).

The linux laptop and the iMac are wireless too but not used for Youtube stuff.

Maybe I could survive with this till 'n' becomes standard!
                                - Aristotle

Comment

Working...