Clear All
  • Kristofor
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Never, ever, hire this gal...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/03/new...ate/index.html

Even if she were to win her case and receive some pity job (seems like about a 0% chance to me) I cannot imagine that anyone would ever hire a whiny, troublemaker like her in the future...

As a note to other job seekers, a C GPAstudent might still make it in for an interview with me if all of the other factors/qualifications looked good, but if they (or a 4.0GPA kid) think that this alone makes them worthy for a position they had best reconsider...
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by Kristofor
    As a note to other job seekers, a C GPAstudent might still make it in for an interview with me if all of the other factors/qualifications looked good, but if they (or a 4.0GPA kid) think that this alone makes them worthy for a position they had best reconsider...
    Bingo. Everyone who talks about job hunting to my classes ALWAYS stresses the other stuff. I bet I'd get a job faster if I had a résumé full of volunteer work with some degree from a local college than I would if I just had that same degree from Harvard.

This happens to be why I'm hopefully gonna be working with habitat for humanity soon. Also because I really don't have too much volunteer work that is recorded in any official form.
    Alex

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I used to recruit college students and we did look at grades pretty carefully. However, I remember one kid who was about to get his Master's from Stanford. He wanted to make policy at the ripe age of about 24.

His resume went in the trash.

My wife used to recruit for a company that was famous for its Itty Bitty Machines. Her best hires were from the California Polytechnic Instutute in San Luis Obispo. The Stanford and UC Berkeley grads had a real attitude problem, much like the gal in the CNN story.

Comment

• docrowan
        • Mar 2007
        • New Albany, MS
        • BT3100

I'd like to quote from the article:

"She suggested that Monroe's Office of Career Advancement shows preferential treatment to students with excellent grades. "They favor more toward students that got a 4.0. They help them more out with the job placement," she said."

Duh!
        - Chris.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I've got this student that we socially promoted because she's there all the time even though she's tree stump stupid...

Yeah, that's what they were saying!

LOML has the same degree, and an excellent career record, the market for CIS related jobs is DEPRESSED right now...

It would appear this person that strove for academic excellence must not have taken economics in her business coursework...

She MIGHT just have a case...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• abbi'sdad
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2007
            • Texas
            • BT3000

The really sad thing is in today's society, she actually has a chance at winning the case. With all the stupid lawsuits that are being won nowadays i wouldn't be suprised if she won.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

She may have fared better if she majored in marketing (not groceries ).

Comment

• codaman33
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2004
                • Houston, TX, USA.

My wife and I were talking about it, and we both think she will have an even harder time now finding a job. Who wants to hire someone that is sue happy? I mean she might sue for sexual harrassment because they put her private office farther away from the ladies room or something. She might sue for discrimination because the coffee is the wrong brand. She might sue for harrassment because she actually has to be to work on time or something like that. Hey look, I can invent some lawsuits too. I'll catch you folks later, I am off to the court house to sue my alma mata because I am not the president of a Fortune 500 company yet. HAHAHAHA.

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Welcome to the entitlement generation...

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by docrowan

"She suggested that Monroe's Office of Career Advancement shows preferential treatment to students with excellent grades. "They favor more toward students that got a 4.0. They help them more out with the job placement," she said."

They didn't GOT a 4.0. I'm pretty sure they were earned or deserved.

That next sentence..............wow!.
                    I graduated HS in Alabama, but wouldn't have if I'd have used sentence structure like that on a paper or speech. Kinda talking Yoda, she was.

She should be sued by her parents that paid for the tuition for not applying herself more than just a C.
                    Just because you graduated college doesn't mean you are more qualified or that you should be given anything. It is a license to seek out higher paid positions. At least if you work at McD's, you get fed. That is better than holding up a sign. Not a lot better, but at least a productive member of society.
                    Lee

Comment

• Gator95
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2008
                      • Atlanta GA
                      • Ridgid 3660

All I can say is 'wow'.

Oddly- the total cost of her education was likely well less than 72K.

http://www.monroecc.edu/etsdbs/MCCat....?OpenDocument

Comment

• Shep
                        • Nov 2008
                        • Columbus, OH
                        • Hitachi C10FL

I'd say she went to college for and education, but never got educated. Now she's blamming the college. To quote Charlie Brown "good grief." If she doesn't know that college is for learning and not job applications she will never make it. I know that the employees at McDonald's have a higher IQ than this girl.

On a related note, I bet this girl was fooled from day one. Most colleges report the average salary made by their alumni. She probably thought that if the average salary was say, $50.000, that upon graduation she would be making 50k.

This once again confirms my suspicion that half that population is clueless.
                        -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• scmhogg
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by Shep
                          This once again confirms my suspicion that half that population is clueless.
                          Supposedly, President Eisenhower expressed shock that one half of all Americans have below average intelligence. Shocking.

Steve
                          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

From the court filing:

"I am seeking a reimbursement of $70,000 from my tuitision (sic) because the Office of Career Advancement Information Technology Couselors (sic secundus!) are not making sure the e-recruiting clients call the graduates that recently finished college for a interview to get a job placement."

Business communications is apparently not part of the IT curriculum at Monroe.

JR
                            JR

Comment

• Rand
                              Established Member
                              • May 2005
                              • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Say she wins the lawsuit but later in life gets a job that could be connected to her degree... Could the college then sue her?

If she wins the lawsuit does she have to give back her degree?
                              Rand
                              "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

Working...