• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • havighurst
    Established Member
    • Jun 2004
    • Metamora, MI, USA.

Help! Pinkish Colored Power Steering Fluid

I am looking to purchase a 99 Sable. I took it to a mechanic to have it inspected and he discovered it had pinkish colored power steering fluid. The mechanic wasn't sure what would cause it without further tear down- $$. Has anyone ever heard of this or have any ideas what might need to be repaired and the approx. price?

Any assistance is appreciated.
    \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Using Dextron / Mercon ATF fluid in the power steering box. That is not exactly a problem. Now if we are talking Pepto Bismol Pink that would be a different story altogether....
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• havighurst
      Established Member
      • Jun 2004
      • Metamora, MI, USA.

It was described as the color of strawberry milk - I guess that is pepto pink. What does that mean and is it an expensive repair?
      Last edited by havighurst; 07-12-2009, 07:41 PM.
      \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Sounds like the fluid is getting whipped by a worn PS pump. But really hard to tell without seeing it. Did you see it? Was it frothy looking? Bubbly? It sounds like a bad PS pump to me. I would guess it is a little noisy too...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• havighurst
          Established Member
          • Jun 2004
          • Metamora, MI, USA.

I didn't see it, but test drove the car and did not hear the whine of a pump going bad. I wasn't sure if it was some sort of stop leak. Any idea how much PS pumps cost to replace?

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

I would suspect a water-air mixture caused by a leaking hose. Try draining the system and refilling with fresh to see if there is an improvement.
            I am surprised your mechanic is clueless unless you spend more money. He should be able to give an estimate on replacing the pump.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• tommyt654
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2008

I would look for another mechanic

Comment

• havighurst
                Established Member
                • Jun 2004
                • Metamora, MI, USA.

They recommended draining the fluid and refilling to check for leaks, but since I was looking to purchase the vehicle, it didn't want to pay to fix someone else's car. The mechanic did say that it could be nothing, a leak, or something serious that could cause the power steering to fail and be very costly to repair. I had my doubts about what I was told, that is why I am coming to the experts.

We are hesitant to pursue purchasing this car for our 16yo if there could be a major safety issue or a costly repair.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

I think the seller should make the problem whole, or else I'd steer clear...

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

It could have been as simple as someone lacking in the head dept. and putting water in the PS pump. Thinking radiator reservoir or windshield washer reservoir. That wouldn't inspire confidence in making it a purchase either.

The seller should fix it before. I'd pass it's a buyers market right now.
                    Erik

Comment

• Tom Slick
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                      • sears BT3 clone

I would just have the power steering fluid flushed and keep an eye on it. I agree with the others that it somehow got water in it.
                      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• billwmeyer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Weir, Ks, USA.
                        • BT3000

Do you know if the car has set undriven for awhile? I have seen condensation get into something like this if undriven. I have almost always use ATF fluid in power steering pumps, because it is cheaper and usualy have it on hand. I feel it is a minor problem, if you don't hear the pump squeal or moan.

Bill
                        "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• woodturner
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Western Pennsylvania
                          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                          I'd pass it's a buyers market right now.
                          Whether it is a buyers or sellers market can be a very localized thing. In much of the US, it's a seller's market for used cars. Because of the economic stress, people are buying (less expensive) used cars rather than new cars when they have to buy a car.
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• gjat
                            • Nov 2005
                            • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by tommyt654
                            I would look for another mechanic
                            Second that comment. If your mechanic couldn't have provided advice without asking for more $$, then steer clear. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm responsible for a couple of dozen vehicles.

My free opinion/advice: Pinkish power steering fluid 'probably' means moisture in the fluid from how it's described. Moisture can get in there from a number of reasons. Loose cap, flooding, drivng through a big puddle, over-enthusiastic pressure washing of the engine.... Regardless of how it got there or what's caused it, it's a problem and you don't seem to have a trustworthy enought mechanic to take the gamble. Don't buy the car.

Comment

• sscherin
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Milkshake looking oil means there is water in there..
                              Not a good sign at all.. I'd suspect it's a flood car.

Have you run it through CarFax yet?

I'd pass on this one and keep looking
                              William's Law--
                              There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                              cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

Working...