• Show
Clear All
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

ms ie6 hijacked?

Hi. I was on vacation in Maine and using the wireless connector at the place I was staying. All was fine for2 days, then the shtf.
    I could not launch Ie6.
    . I would click on it on the home page and it would do nothing.

I have spent dozens of hours on Google trying to figure it out, no luck.

I have another admin account, my wifes, that one is fine. I can create new admin accounts, with no problem getting into IE6.

I tried several restore points from all 3 accounts, willl not let me restore.
    I tried stating in safe mode, it won't even let me click on a selection! I just have so much 'stuff' in my original user account, I would hate to give it up.

p.s. I have a tech I.Q. of about 50, on a good day! Please be gentle! THANKS~

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Did you try re-installing IE6 (or IE7 or IE8)?

JR
    JR

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

When you say 'could not launch IE6' does this mean you can't get it to run at all or you can't get it to connect to any home pages? If you can get it to at least start up, then try clearing cache, history, etc.

Are there any messages in Windows Event Viewer?
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I can't be specific, but I recall hearing something just yesterday about MS warning of yet another a critical security issue in IE that was suddenly being exploited by hackers in great numbers. I don't use IE, so it just went in one ear and out the other...

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Why are you still running I.E. 6?
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
            Why are you still running I.E. 6?
            That was my first thought. Download Firefox and forget IE.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• tseavoy
              Established Member
              • May 2009
              • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
              • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

I switched to Mozilla Firefox a long time ago. I wish I could get MSIE out of my computer. I also use Mozilla Thunderbird for Email.

Tom

Comment

• Rich P
                Established Member
                • Apr 2003
                • Foresthill, CA, USA.
                • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

The old "knee jerk", "try this" solution for unexplained browser behavior has always been to "clear the cache". It is not clear from your post if you can not launch IE (get it to run) or you can not get it to navigate to web sites.

If you install Firefox it will import all of your settings from IE.

I'm a former IT director who decided long ago I did not want to baby sit IE security problems at home and switched to Firefox after Netscape was abandoned by AOL. I do think things have improved a lot with MS but Firefox is rock solid for me. I do have IE in case I hit a site that does not work with Firefox.
                Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by Rich P
                  I do have IE in case I hit a site that does not work with Firefox.
                  Yeah, me too. I have to pay my health insurance premium on IE once a month, because UHC (the biggest health insurer on the planet, I think) won't make their administrative website Firefox-friendly.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Maumee, OH, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

ActiveX is vunerable...

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                    I can't be specific, but I recall hearing something just yesterday about MS warning of yet another a critical security issue in IE that was suddenly being exploited by hackers in great numbers. I don't use IE, so it just went in one ear and out the other...
                    MS admitted that ActiveX is open to allow someone to take over your system and make it a "bot" or anything else they want to do with it. It has been known for quite some time now, but they just publicly announced the problem. They still do not have a fix for the exposure. The only way to stop ActiveX is to do so in the registry file. That is tricky, but there is a workaround offered by MS that will let you turn ActiveX off and on.

Here's the URL to the notice. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...ry/972890.mspx

You can download two programs and then turn it off and on at will until they fix the hole in the code.
                    Jim Frye
                    The Nut in the Cellar.
                    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• herb fellows
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • New York City
                      • bt3100

Thanks to all for your advice. I just downloaded Firefox, that part was certainly simple enough.

Being used to IE, it really looks weird the first time out!
                      I guess I'll be exploring it over the next few days.
                      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by herb fellows
                        Thanks to all for your advice. I just downloaded Firefox, that part was certainly simple enough.
                        Yeah, there are some pretty significant shortcomings with Firefox - there is a reason it hasn't become "mainstream". Many sites will not work correctly with Firefox.

Upgrading to IE8 should solve the problem. If you are running Vista, it does not have that vulnerability - only older "obsolete" windows versions such as XP have the vulnerability.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by woodturner
                          Yeah, there are some pretty significant shortcomings with Firefox - there is a reason it hasn't become "mainstream". Many sites will not work correctly with Firefox.

I've used firefox almost exclusively for at least the last year. During that time it was exclusive when I ran Linux for several months. The only 2 sites I've found that don't work with Firefox are the Microsoft MSDN site for me to download MS software and just last night I discovered the Grizzly shop planner won't save a room in Firefox. Other than that I've had 0 problems. I love all the addons for Firefox and since I use 3 different machines on a regular basis, that it is easy to synch my profiles between them.
                          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Rich P
                            Established Member
                            • Apr 2003
                            • Foresthill, CA, USA.
                            • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

So, IE8 finally got there and (OMG) we need to run Vista which has been a total bust for Gates and Co? And there are "significant shortcomings"? Where? Give me break.
                            Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Microsoft says IE6 and IE7 have too many security problems to fix; they want you to go to IE8. This is the patch if you do automatic updates.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...