• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Ebay Ettiquette- Wrong item received

Ok, I bid on and won a Stanley #70 router plane for $20 on ebay. With shipping, it came to $33. However, when I went to UPS today to pick up my package, the box contained a #12 scraper plane. Definitely not a bad tool, but not what I wanted.

So, as this has never happened before, what is the typical ettiquette when you get the wrong item from an ebayer?

Thanks!
  • DaveS
    • May 2003
    • Minneapolis,MN

Sure, it happens from time to time.

Email the seller, they should switch it for you. If they are extra classy, they will let you keep the scraper

Most likely they will have two emails - one from you, and one from someone expecting a scraper.

Prepare yourself for the fact that the plane may not be available anymore.

If they sent it to someone else, and they choose not to return it, you are out of luck.

If it doesn't get resolved, hit the negative feedback button.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

And add to that, file a protest with PayPal.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN

Now if the plane is still available, should I have to pay the return shipping? Either upfront, or at all? Or should I expect to wait for the correct item, and then send the wrong one back?

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

You should not have to pay for anything other than the correct item and one-time shipping. Anything else, and you should file a protest with Paypal, and a dispute with Ebay. This is, of course, after you give the seller adequate opportunity to make it right. If they do right by you, leave positive feedback. If they do not, then rat them out.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

since the mistake is entierly the sellers fault,
            he should ship you the correct item at no charge
            he should pay return shipping charges for the wrong item.
            If he does not have the item because it was a one-of a kind or he incorrectly described it, he should refund your money and shipping and pay to return the item.

You paid and fulfilled your end of the contract, its his contract to deliver the correct item in a reasonable time.
            If he does not do the above then you should take recourse with paypal, eBay and post negative feedback after giving him reasonable time to remedy it and before the time limits of Paypal and eBay expire.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Let me hit on something NOT mentioned yet. Was there a picture of the item?

I am worried, that we don't have enough info yet, and what he sent you was what he THOUGHT was a different tool.

Just making sure.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

Give the seller a chance to make it right, and think twice about giving negative feedback for an honest mistake. Mistakes happen.

This happened to me once. I sold something and made an honest mistake in the description. Of course I offered to take it back and refund the costs. The buyer decided to keep it and I actually got a positive feedback for "standing behind the product." It was nice that my truly honest mistake was taken as such and not as an attempt to rip someone off.
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• BigguyZ
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • Minneapolis, MN

Here's a link to the listing. No mistakes here. Definitely not the same item.
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300319959584

Yeah, I'd rather have the router plane, but I must say that this scraper is pretty nice too... I already have a stanley #80 scraper, but this one is MUCH nicer... If I wasn't sure there are someone expecting this somewhere out there, I'd be tempted to just keep the thing. But either way, I have yet to hear back from the seller and will see what he suggests/ does.

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I agree that you could contact the seller and give them a chance to make it right. I try not to leave negative feedback unless they've really earned it with more mistakes and added cost to me.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                      • One of them there Toy saws

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-No-12-Sm...1|293:1|294:50

yep, someone else has your router plane. Looks like you need a new scrapper for that thing.

Wait and see what you hear.
                      Mike
                      Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN

NICE! I couldn't find that listing... It actually came with a blade, but it wouldn't hurt to get a new one from Hock (if I kept it). Hey- I actually got the more expensive item.... (though I think router planes generally go for more than scraper planes do).

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

He probably boxed them up, and slapped the labels on the wrong boxes. Honest mistake, but he should cover all costs to make the switch.

Comment

Working...