• Show
Clear All
  • Bill Stock
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Canada, Eh!
    • BT3100

Originally posted by tfischer
    Has anyone had success with doing this with 4" size lines? I just have a small portable DC (the little ones with the side bag, similar to what Rockler's been promoting lately) but it gets decent airflow if you use 4" lines... Also doesn't have that much suction so I woud't have to worry about crushing cans. Plus it's much quieter
    I had a little King DC that I bought when I sanded the basement floor. I used it to blow the cement dust out the window. (Ever seen a white cedar hedge. The neighbours had one before I put a water baffle on my contraption.)

Anyway, I took the wheels and bag off mine, routed a slot in a piece of MDF to fit over a rubbermaid GC, cut a 4" hole in the MDF for the sucky side of the DC. Laid the DC on top of the MDF (bolted through) and siliconed between the dust port and the MDF. The fit between the GC and MDF is friction (it's that tight). I put an sucky port on the side of the GC and the output from the DC goes to a GC with a one micron bag on top. When I upgraded to the better bag I did manage to suck the GC flat , but some threaded rod between the MDF and base solved that.

All the big stuff stays in the first GC and only the finer stiff gets to the second GC. It's amazing how quick the planer will fill that first GC.

Comment

• docrowan
      • Mar 2007
      • New Albany, MS
      • BT3100

I've been following this thread with interest. I've checked my shop and the best fit for me would be a 20 gallon trash can. In that size do y'all think a Rubbermaid plastic trash can work or would I need a metal one?

Oops, just saw the previous post. I guess it will work.
      - Chris.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

With a shop vac, I doubt it. I collapsed a green rubber one and a harder but thinner plastic tan one easily with my vac.
        Erik

Comment

• Garasaki
          • Sep 2006

Yeah, but...

What trash can's HAVEN'T you imploded!?!!?

-John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
          -Henry Blake

Comment

• docrowan
            • Mar 2007
            • New Albany, MS
            • BT3100

I have a Ridgid shop vac, I think it's a 14 gallon and has a lot of suction. Maybe I'd better bite the bullet and get the metal 30 gallon can.

Thanks for the info.
            - Chris.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Garasaki
              Yeah, but...
              What trash can's HAVEN'T you imploded!?!!?
              That has yet to be determined, so far im 0 for 3. Luckily, the plastic/rubber ones will go right back into shape.

I've got a Rigid vac too, it's the 16 gal model with the detachable motor for use as a blower.
              Erik

Comment

• docrowan
                • Mar 2007
                • New Albany, MS
                • BT3100

Hmmm, I'm thinking a relief valve could be made:

Cut a 2" hole in the top with a hole saw.

Make a 2-1/2" diameter cover plate of 1/4" hardboard that goes inside the lid and seals to the underside of the lid.

Glue a 5" stove bolt through the center of the cover plate.

On the top side of the lid, glue a 2" long piece of 2-1/2" diameter PVC pipe, through which you've drilled several 1/2" holes to allow air to pass through.

On top of the PVC pipe, glue a 2-1/2" diameter disk of 3/4 plywood.

Drill a hole in the center of the disk large enough for the stove bolt to freely pass through, but not a compression spring.

Thread a 2" long compression spring over the stove bolt.

Thread a wingnut on the stove bolt that will bear on the compression spring.

Adjust the wingnut so that the cover remains closed during normal suction, but allows the cover to override the spring tension when intake hose is blocked.

You would probably have to try a couple different springs to get the right amount of tension.

Some additional air intake holes could probably be drilled in the plywood disk as well.

What do y'all think?
                - Chris.

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

That's a neat idea! I was just going to leave an adjustable opening hole.
                  Erik

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by docrowan
                    I've been following this thread with interest. I've checked my shop and the best fit for me would be a 20 gallon trash can. In that size do y'all think a Rubbermaid plastic trash can work or would I need a metal one?

Oops, just saw the previous post. I guess it will work.
                    Seriously doubt it. With a DC and far less static lift, not to mention some bracing of the can sidewalls sure, but with a shop vac, no dice. Too much static lift will suck the thing in almost instantly I would bet... Try it and video that thing. Probably good for a laugh...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jkristia
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Simi Valley, CA

just curious - can somone explain what 'static lift' is, and why this is higher with a vacuum?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jkristia
                        just curious - can somone explain what 'static lift' is, and why this is higher with a vacuum?
                        Static lift and vacuum are more or less the same.
                        Vacuum is usually expressed for more complete vacuum, which is negative pressure. Oftem expressed in PSI, also in mmHG and sometimes in inches of water.

Static lft is the amount of water column a vacuum can pull, as in a long tube dipped into water and a vacuum applied at the top - the number of inches the water rises in the column is the static lift in inches of water.
                        The relation ship is approximately (rule of thumb)
                        32 feet of water lift = 380 inches of water lift = 15 PSI vacuum = -15 PSI pressure = -1 atmosphere = 30 mm Hg vacuum = -30mm Hg pressure

As you can see, vacuum is negative pressure. But you can't get lower than -1 atmosphere (of vacuum) but there's no upper limit on positive pressure.

DC's have large impellors and vanes to move lots of air but they are not well "sealed" to prevent back leakage so they can't put up a lot of vaccum. Typically they will have several inches of water static lift before they run out of air flow. (which is why they need large hoses or ducts of very low resistance (measured in inches of water) to work well.

Shop vacs have much smaller impellors but they are more positive in moving the air (a harder push with no way to leak back) so they can put up much more impressive vacuum pressure when dead-ended but much less air flow when open ended compared to a DC which puts out enormous airflow when open ended but not a lot of pressure when the airflow is blocked off (closed ended).
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-09-2009, 10:44 AM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

Somehow, I knew loring would come through with an excellent answer.
                          Erik

Comment

• jkristia
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2006
                            • Simi Valley, CA

I almost regret I asked .
                            Thank you for the detailed explanation, at least now I (kind of) understand the different between static lift (vacuum) and air flow .... I think

Comment

Working...