X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schleeper
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008

Black History Month ad causes stir

That was the front page headline in this morning's Delaware News Journal.
    Last edited by Schleeper; 02-09-2009, 09:19 PM. Reason: Too political. Can only cause animosity.
    "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Yikes, the ad looks like something that would appear in the Onion.

Hard to imagine that they wouldn't think some of their target customers wouldn't be offended.

And just because nobody complained (or you never got the complaints) in the past doesn't mean people didn't find it offensive.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Uh, what's wrong with advertising specials on Corn Bread, Collard Greens, and Grape Soda?

It looks like they are aiming at Southerners here...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
        Uh, what's wrong with advertising specials on Corn Bread, Collard Greens, and Grape Soda?

It looks like they are aiming at Southerners here...
        That's what I was thinking.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• kbkreisler
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2008
          • farmington mn
          • ryobi bt3100-1

Man, I love grape soda, and bbq'd ribs just arent the same without cornbread. looking at some of the other things in the ad like seasoned veggies in a can, corn in a can, lowrys steak salt, I consume many of these items and and I am so caucasion it hurts. Why dont the people complaining pick up a real cause...
          on the topic of discrimination, where is my caucasion american college fund, or my white history month.
          I wish some of this screaming about honest mistakes, and looking for conflict when there is none crap would just get put to bed already
          Last edited by kbkreisler; 02-07-2009, 11:10 PM.
          there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those that dont.

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

Maybe some people are getting their knickers in a twist over something that is not that horrendous, but the top banner of the ad says Black History Month. Although southerners and others would certainly use these products, with that banner I think it's pretty clear that somebody thought they were being smart.
            If I was to envision a Saturday Night Live skit about a supermarket ad pandering to a race of people under the guise of 'celebrating a holiday', about the only stereotypes missing are watermelon and fried chicken.

As an Irishman, I personally wouldn't be offended if a store had beer on sale for St Patrick's day, but I would understand someone who was insulted.
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Complaints about the ad are much ado over nothing IMO. If that were run locally here in the south the only question I would have would be what is the price to determine if it was really a deal or not on corn-bread.. collard greens as I don't do grape soda but.. I do water-melon but I'm not interested if it is on sale as I grow my own.

I used to grow collard greens and turnip greens in the fall but just don't have the time anymore. But.. I would question why was black-eyed peas.. pinto beans not added as they are brother and sister to collards and turnips. And they might have added rutabaga's also as that compliements both of those greens.

Much ado over nothing... pass the corn-bread please and if it has crackling in it.. all the beter.

No political or racial jokes above.. just the facts ma'am.. just the facts!

Comment

• jonmulzer
                • Dec 2007
                • Indianapolis, IN

I am of German ancestry. For Oktoberfest I fully expect bratwurst, beer and sauerkraut to be on special. C'est la vie.
                "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• jonmulzer
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by Schleeper
                  As an American of Irish ancestry, I'd better not see any St. Patrick's Day ads for corned beef and cabbage next month. And don't even think about running a sale on beer!
                  What about potatoes?!?!
                  "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by herb fellows
                    Maybe some people are getting their knickers in a twist over something that is not that horrendous, but the top banner of the ad says Black History Month. Although southerners and others would certainly use these products, with that banner I think it's pretty clear that somebody thought they were being smart.
                    If I was to envision a Saturday Night Live skit about a supermarket ad pandering to a race of people under the guise of 'celebrating a holiday', about the only stereotypes missing are watermelon and fried chicken.
                    Again, what's wrong with Watermelon and fried chicken? Okay the cholesterol thing, I get that... But...

My family history is mixed, but mostly from German people. I certainly would NOT be offended if Kroger advertised good price on Strudel, Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, Rye Bread and Beer in celebration of Oktoberfest.

FWIW I can't stand either Rye Bread or Sauerkraut... But I would be a happy camper with that Strudel (Apfel Struedel is my fave...) Bratwurst, and an Oktoberfest brew...
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Schleeper
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by dbhost
                      Again, what's wrong with Watermelon and fried chicken? Okay the cholesterol thing, I get that... But...

My family history is mixed, but mostly from German people. I certainly would NOT be offended if Kroger advertised good price on Strudel, Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, Rye Bread and Beer in celebration of Oktoberfest.

FWIW I can't stand either Rye Bread or Sauerkraut... But I would be a happy camper with that Strudel (Apfel Struedel is my fave...) Bratwurst, and an Oktoberfest brew...
                      Ditto, as long as it's not that cheap store brand stuff that they're just trying to clear off their shelves. (I'm actually more German than Irish, but I'm constantly being subjected to Irish stereotyping because of my last name.)
                      "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)

Comment

• Gator95
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Atlanta GA
                        • Ridgid 3660

Looks like some mid-level marketing flunky was told 'put together a ad circular with a bunch of stuff black people like for black history month' and tried to do it without really any idea what, if anything, black people would like disproportionally to the general population.

Comment

• jziegler
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2005
                          • Salem, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I saw a different versions of that ad (The specials are a bit different on this side of the Delaware) and thought that it was a bit odd. But to complain about it? I looked at it as a bunch of good southern food on sale. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jim

Comment

• Pappy
                            The Full Monte
                            • Dec 2002
                            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 (x2)

Irish and Choctaw heritage. Any body know of a good sale on fire water and arrow heads?????

People need to find something real to worry about, and there is still enough of it in this country.
                            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                            Fools because they have to say something.
                            Plato

Comment

• germdoc
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2003
                              • Omaha, NE
                              • BT3000--the gray ghost

Being a Southerner who moved away years ago and has lived in Washington DC, Germany, and the Lutheran midwest, I am normally very sensitive to stereotypes. Things we didn't give 2 thoughts about in Georgia--having the Confederate flag on your state banner, celebrating RE Lee and Nathan Bedford Forrest--look different from the outside.

Having said that, I don't see what the problem is. Lots of people like these products, many African-Americans like these products, so what? If it were Jewish history month, could you not advertise Manischewitz wine, gefillte fish, bagels and lox? Oy!

Much ado about nothing...
                              Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

Working...