• Show
Clear All
  • Kristofor
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Yay America!

Lets have a nice round of applause for our 43rd consecutive peaceful transition of power. /waves flag

I'll stay away from the explicity political, but regardless of the person's politics there is usually a sense of anticipation at the start of a presidential term. This time feels different to me. I do not believe there has been this much "buzz" and optimisim for any other inaguration in my life (32 years). It's nice to feel that vibe even if he isn't "my guy".
  • shoottx
    Veteran Member
    • May 2008
    • Plano, Texas
    • BT3000

Originally posted by Kristofor
    Lets have a nice round of applause for our 43rd consecutive peaceful transition of power. /waves flag
    That in itself is a great accomplishment. And it bodes well for the trend continuing!
    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

Just heard the speech. I'm impressed!

Bruce
      Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 01-20-2009, 03:18 PM.
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Now, the real work begins...

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

Yay! [Joins the celebration]
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Gator95
            Established Member
            • Jan 2008
            • Atlanta GA
            • Ridgid 3660

Regardless of what you feel about the policies he will enact, the man is a great speaker.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Great speaker... let's get to work....

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Yay! from me too. That is a great thing.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jziegler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Salem, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100

A peaceful change of power is always a good thing. Lots of hard work ahead.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by Kristofor

I'll stay away from the explicity political, but regardless of the person's politics there is usually a sense of anticipation at the start of a presidential term. This time feels different to me. I do not believe there has been this much "buzz" and optimisim for any other inaguration in my life (32 years). It's nice to feel that vibe even if he isn't "my guy".

There has been according to Charlie Rose last night, but mostly for a different reason (Nixon resigning). I wish my grandparents were still around, as I would like to compare what was termed Generational feeling, of this one, to previous ones where their children's generation took over.

I wish him and his staff (and the rest of us (US?)) good luck.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• TB Roye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

This is the 13th president in my life. It is really somthing that the military particapates in fully Dress Uniforms and the only gunfire you hear it the 21 gun Salute. No camo no tanks done in broad daylight with everybody getting along. We are a unique country. We can strogly disagree but we come together when needed. I wish President Obama well.

Tom

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

Regardless of our preferred political party, I think we all need to wish him well, and hope he has a successful term. If he doesn't, we're all in trouble.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• nadz
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Rocket City, AL, USA.

just couldnt resist

dang

i could have gone a full 48 hours without seeing or hearing ANYTHING else to do with the media frenzy that is this innauguration...oh well, i guess no place is a safe place, not even here
                          -----------------------------------------------------------------
                          Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by nadz
                            dang

i could have gone a full 48 hours without seeing or hearing ANYTHING else to do with the media frenzy that is this innauguration...oh well, i guess no place is a safe place, not even here
                            Regardless of political affiliation the event is certainly noteworthy for a number of reasons. I don't really care for the news about the First Lady's designer dress, but apparently even that has widespread interest and even political indications such as trendy vs conservative, expensive vs. practical vs extravagant, etc.

What I think is amazing is that once again we have a peaceful democratic transfer of power - the people have spoken according to the laws of the land. We make not be unique in this respect but we certainly are the example to the rest of the world.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by nadz
                              dang

This isn't about the media (after all, they gotta have something to report). This is about a reaffirmation of the special privilege that Americans enjoy (at a terrible cost) to have a voice in their own government. I dislike politics as much as anyone, but I do have respect for those who serve, and for the sacrifices made by those who have fought to keep our system, complete with its imperfections, intact. So I can handle a few more hours of the media tongue-bath.

Comment

Working...