• Show
Clear All
  • BasementDweller
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • PA.
    • nt3100.001

Circuit City Closed

Check out www.circuitcity.com hard to believe! If you're out this weekend you might want to swing past the store and look for a "crazy eddie" deal. Sounds like they have about a month to blow everything out of the store.

Too bad though, 30,000+ people will loose their job.
    Click. . . Hey, turn the lights back on! I'm still down here!
    http://www.teraflax.com
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Caveat emptor... Watch out for closeout merchandise. Likely no refunds or exchanges, with manufacturer support your only lifeline if you have a problem.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Website link says no refunds or exchanges and if you have a problem call the manufacturer.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Here they started closing the stores a while ago. I believe they were all closed by Jan. 1 (still haven't been out much, just work and the hospital).

The weird thing is, when they announced they were closing the local stores, all of a sudden, a lot more regular Circuit city ads, not going out of business ads.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

When they closed in Atlanta there were plenty of ads as the liquidation company that was handling it wanted you in the store. "Slashed 50%" etc. etc. But... what most discovered was they slashed off retail price which was never really charged anyway as manufacturers state a retail price but no distributors charge it.

So.. many things that were slashed could be found at Walmart.. etc. at a lower price than the "Slashed Prices". People just love the words Sale and Prices Slashed which is sometimes nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Just look carefully at the price and compare before you make a purchase and all will be well with your decision.

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Ditto on Sarge's advice. I don't remember which forum had the discussion but liquidators are in this to maximize their profits. Know what you'd pay elsewhere for whatever you want to buy and make sure you pay less, not more.

Another bit of advice about retail store liquidations. There's value in the fixtures. Slatwall is great for hanging tools and I'm planning to use it instead of pegboard. Countertops and shelves are made of particleboard covered with something nice and smooth and occasionally a bullnosed edge. Clothes stores have mobile displays and tables that could be used in a shop.

I picked up a bunch of stuff like slatwall pegs, countertops and glass for a sharpening surface for next to nothing at the Mervyns liquidation and I've got a line on some faux birch slatwall from a small store that's apparently gone out of business.

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

Reminds me of an Adam Sandler movie where a guy name his store "Going out of business"
              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I haven't shopped at Circuit City in well over a decade. The stores were laid out something awful, selection was poor, pricing was non competitive with the likes of Best Buy and Frys. Customer Service was terrible. I hate to see all those folks lose their jobs, but I don't think this is something that can be blamed on a sour economy. They just had idiots at the helm....
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
                  I haven't shopped at Circuit City in well over a decade. The stores were laid out something awful, selection was poor, pricing was non competitive with the likes of Best Buy and Frys. Customer Service was terrible. I hate to see all those folks lose their jobs, but I don't think this is something that can be blamed on a sour economy. They just had idiots at the helm....
                  Agreed. I'm sure the economy was the straw that broke the camel's back, but only because it has made consumers more careful in their choices, and Circuit City has been on a backslide for quite a while. I remember thinking years ago how they had fewer customers, empty shelves, disinterested staff, and often non-competitive pricing. In their quest (I assume there was intent) to be lean, they set themselves up for a fall. I do feel for those who will be out of work, though.

Comment

• ironhat
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I recall the first Circuit City I ever experienced. It was staffed with knowledgeable men and a few women. That was back in the mid '80s and a lot has changed in order to get a company more lean and mean. First of all, changing the staff to teens and twenty year olds lowered the overhead but look at what the consumer received in return. I, for one, have been so unimpress by the service at CC that I stopped going there for even so much as a battery for several years. The kids are likely losing one of their first jobs which isn't a livlihood for them. For those in management I do feel sorry. If you've ever been out of work you know what that can do to your morale in short order. Best of luck to them all.
                    Blessings,
                    Chiz

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have seen stores closing before where they brought in liquidators...
                      Stores I had frequented before the closing. I think it was Handy Dan hardware.
                      they not only put the stuff they had on sale but used the opportunity to bring in truckloads of stuff I had never seen before at that store, stuff thjat was real garbage - import stuff - with the guise of liquidating inventory to the extra traffic they thought would be coming in looking for a bargain.
                      I didn't see any real deals- either the original store stuff or the trucked in stuff.
                      I suppose what they didn't sell they trucked to the next store closing they managed.

I guess it goes both ways: The customers coming around like vultures and the liquidating comanies hoping to make a quick sale of cheap goods to unwitting people thinking they are getting a bargain on that store's merchandise. So I guess as always its caveat emptor.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-17-2009, 10:05 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

I'm not surprised about the store failing. The last time we were in one of them we were buying a computer, and the sales guy kept pushing the extended warranty way beyond the point that I said no. I asked him nicely to step out to the parking lot. The wimp wouldn't do that and he got someone else to wait on us.

Funny thing, he musta said something to the replacement sales rep, because the guy never mentioned an extended warranty.

Comment

• Mar 2004
                          • Northern NJ, USA.
                          • BT3100

agreed, haven't shopped them in years. There's a reason they're called Circuit Sh*tty.
                          A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• skillybob
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Feb 2006
                            • Cedar Park, Texas
                            • BT3100

I haven't shopped at Circuit City in years, not since the last bad experience I had with the way they do business....... maybe that is one reason why they are closing?

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

Locally, that leaves us with Best Buy for electronics. Not a pretty picture....

At least Office Depot and Office Max are still around for some supplies.
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                              Fools because they have to say something.
                              Plato

Comment

Working...