Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Blagojevich To Be Impeached

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/...ent/index.html

I wonder who the one person was who voted not to impeach.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • shoottx
    Veteran Member
    • May 2008
    • Plano, Texas
    • BT3000

The only state where the Governors make the license plates
    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Careful, guys, isn't this thread threatening to tread on the NO POLITICS rule?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Mar 2004
        • Northern NJ, USA.
        • BT3100

First, he has too much hair to be successfully impeached. Hair counts. Look at Ditka.

Second, [deleted since it might go into politics, as noted in the immediate posting above, just suffice to say he is a better man for doing openly what others hide].
        Last edited by 430752; 01-09-2009, 02:09 PM.
        A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          The Governors in Jail are from both parties, no politics involved. I believe it is 3 out of the last 4 and 5 of the last 7.
          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            I don't think so. I am reporting news that could be gotten elsewhere and I am doing it sans opinion. I don't even know (or care) what party affiliation he has. He used his office for illegal activities. Run the bum out. IMO it doesn't become political until I start saying things like 'of course he's guilty, he's a member of the _____ party. Now it -could- become political but I know the fine upstanding members of BT3Central would refrain from that.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• BobSch
              • Aug 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

In Chicago this isn't politics, just business as usual.
              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• newood2
                • Aug 2004
                • Brooklyn, NY.
                • BT3100-1

The only thing he is guilty of is doing what politicians do.
                Doing favors for money is intrinsic to politics(the lobbyist for example) even in American democracy, which by the way, is the best in the world.
                The "honorable statesman" as oppose to the "politician" would never survive in this environment.
                How often you hear the phrase "I thought he/she was an honest politician.
                They all have something up their sleeves, but they're all we have to maintain our constitution, so we bite our tongue and ask God help us.
                Howie

Comment

• Kristofor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

We all know "corrupt Illinois politician" is redundant. I think it's bigger news when one of their Gov's makes it to the end of his/her term without a scandal of some sort...

Comment

• jackellis
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

I'm merely telling anecdotes that I hope don't break the rule.

15 years ago I was working on a project for a company that was building a power plant at the old Brooklyn Navy Yard. The VP who had been sent in to get the project finished told an interesting story about going to a (fund raising) breakfast with then mayor Rudy Giuliani. Apparently, simply talking to the guy required a campaign donation of over a thousand dollars.

More recently, my (then) partner in a business venture decided we needed to lobby the governor of California. Same deal - you want an audience, be prepared to make a sizable campaign donation.

Same shakedown even though one was the R brand and the other was the D brand.

[Opinion deleted]

Comment

• germdoc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Omaha, NE
                      • BT3000--the gray ghost

Well, I hate to make diagnoses without seeing the patient, but I think Blago has neurosyphilis. I quote from the Wiki article:

"General paresis, otherwise known as general paresis of the insane, is a severe manifestation of neurosyphilis. It is a chronic dementia which ultimately results in death in as little as 2-3 years. Patients generally have progressive personality changes, memory loss, and poor judgment. More rarely, they can have psychosis, depression, or mania. Imaging of the brain usually shows atrophy."

"Some famous historical personages, including Franz Schubert, Charles VIII of France, Hernando Cortez of Spain, Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini, and Ivan the Terrible, have been alleged to have had syphilis." Now I don't think Adolf had the syph, given what I have read, but as for the others...

He was quoting Tennyson the other day. Who quotes Tennyson, except English professors, EMO musicians and syphilitic politicians?

The only flaw in my theory is the hair. End-stage syphilitics often lose their hair. But, maybe it's a WIG??

I rest my case!
                      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• BobSch
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

All politicians are guilty until proven innocent.
                        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by jackellis
                          Same shakedown even though one was the R brand and the other was the D brand.

[Opinion deleted]
                          Jack, there is a very fine line and I think the line is that the people in question donated money to a campaign, not to the person directly. I know there are rules for spending campaign money on personal items. Also, the donaters were not asking for (nor were promised) specific favors. They just wanted to talk to the donatee. Blagojevich a) was taking the money and putting it in his bank account and b) was promising a specific favor for giving him the money.
                          David

Comment

• Alex Franke
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Chapel Hill, NC
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                            He used his office for illegal activities. Run the bum out.
                            No, he's accused of using his office for illegal activities. So the state government wants to accuse (impeach) him, too -- that's fine also. And if they find he's not fit for office, then he shouldn't be in office. And if he is fit for office then he should stay in office. It sounds to me like the process is working like it should. But even though the evidence seems pretty dam-ning, he has still not been found guilty of anything yet. (At least I don't think he has.) [Pardon the annoying hyphenation. I had no idea that the non-hyphenated version what such an awful and naughty word. ]

Note -- I'm not defending him, either. I don't really care about him one way or another -- he's not my governor. I'm just saying that we should let this run its course. Same thing with Palin last year -- don't call her corrupt because she's accused of abusing her power. Wait for the system to come to a conclusion based on the law, and then decide what (if anything at all) should be done about it.

Originally posted by BobSch
                            All politicians are guilty until proven innocent.
                            Oh right -- forgot about that one. Ignore everything I just said above
                            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                              No, he's accused of using his office for illegal activities.
                              You are correct, he is accused. That doesn't mean that I can't form my own opinion based on the evidence available. That is what the state senate will be doing, they will just do it in a much more formal setting.
                              David

Comment

Working...