• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Santa's visit...

was a little meager this year due to our anniversary trip to Hurricane Ike, and our anniversary trip / delayed honeymoon to Cancun... We were a bit tight on money... But Santa was nice to me on a budget...

I got the Rockler T-track kit, along with the router table accessory kit, a couple of the woodworking design / plans books I have been wanting, and some 4" DC connector bits and pieces...

And Monday I get to go get my BT3100! Woo Hoo!

I have a major birthday coming up in short order, and I suspect LOML has the Delta 50-760 in her sights for me... (She is going by my Amazon wish list...)
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

You'll love the Delta DC... Mine really sucks!

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

No tools here, but I did get a gift certificate to Rockler. One of my favorite gifts was two loaves of banana nut bread. My sister knows I love the stuff. She even underbaked it a little so it has a gooey center.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

The only woodworking thing I got was the universal fence clamps. Nice!
        Also wound up with a Garmin GPS nuvi 350, and a couple of gift cards.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• jonmulzer
          • Dec 2007
          • Indianapolis, IN

My wonderful girlfriend gave me almost everything I need to start making beer at home (I already make wine so quite a few things carry over). She also gave me the ingredients to make my first two batches, a 12 pack of mixed beer where each individual beer is from a different country and the Craftsman bottle opener that looks like a wrench. My father gave me some odds and ends I wanted along with cash which he earmarked part of it to buy my brew kettle and a turkey burner to make my beer. My gf's family got me the usual clothes, movies (Dark Knight and Iron Man!), a liquor dispenser for my bar (I am like the adopted alcoholic of the family, lol), favorite candies, the add-on propane burner for my charcoal grill/smoker, some wine stuff (decorative bottle stoppers, decorations for the kitchen, etc). They even all bought stuff for our dogs, even though they don't really like dogs in general. They know that they are like our kids.

Best of all though was spending last night with the pups at my Father's place and enjoying a nice father/son dinner and a bottle of wine (or two?) that I have made. Then today it was off to spend time with Jen's family and having a wonderful dinner with them and the company of family.

I did however hate having to leave the dogs at home today while visiting the future in-laws. Now since they slept all day it is nearing midnight and they are still running around and generally showing me that I am not going to get a good nights sleep. lol
          "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

I got what I asked for, Clothes mainly sport shirts and pull overs for church and other dress up times. I spend my money on the tools and other toys and my wardrobe was gitting a little shabby. This year I actually went shopping on my own and bought gifts. Decided not to give Gift Cards for some reason but to spend the time shopping. Being retired I could pick the time usually early in the morning when the stores first opened. Bought some gifts online and picked them up at the stores, which I like doing. Very nice and stress free Christmas this year. To bad it is over and I love Christmas and all the goes with it.

Tom

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

My haul was mostly gift cards. Perfect! I know how to use 'em...

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

Originally posted by jonmulzer
                My wonderful girlfriend gave me almost everything I need to start making beer at home (I already make wine so quite a few things carry over).
                So Jon *hic* how soon can we sample the product?

g.
                Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

Comment

• smorris
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Tampa, Florida, USA.

LOML and the kids got me a Wixley angle gauge, a magnetic base work light for the bandsaw, an Earlex 3000 HVLP setup and a router bit collection.

I did get a good one on LOML. I got her a set of earrings she wanted and hid them in a box of kleenex which I then repacked the kleenex and put under the tree to her from the cats. She had a interesting look on her face when she opened it and thought it was a gag gift. I finally asked her if everything is what it appears to be... After all these years you'd think they would know not to take strange things from me at face value.

The best part was having the whole family over for dinner and just sitting around.
                  --
                  Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• Bigbit
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Southern California
                    • BT3100-1

I got not 1 but 2 Dremel Multi-Max's! Guess Wife and Son did not communicate well!

The good news is that I can return 1 to Lowe's and now have $100 to spend as I please.

Also got the Incra set of ruler, T-ruler and protractor, a block sander, some chisels and a few other non-woodworking goodies!!

Comment

• jackellis
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

My wife found a clock/thermometer combination that looks like a couple of aircraft instruments for my new office. Also another warm jacket. She got an iPod.

My biggest gift to myself was completing a cabinet with drawers in it to put all of the tools I have been collecting and leaving scattered on every available flat surface in the shop.

I now have to build a bunch more for the new place.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

LOML let me purchase a WorkSharp 2000. I wanted a 3000 but it was considerably heavier. Ordering and shipping to Japan was going to be $200 more for the 3000 over the 2000, so I didn't think it was worth the extra $200.

I have used it only once so far and it was great! My main turning chisel was sharpened quick and well. I am as excited about this little machine as I am the Drill Doctor that I bought 5 years ago!
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JeffG78
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                          • BT3100

LOML shopped at Rockler online and got me the T-Track kit as well as the universal clamp set and a forstner bit set. She also got me Table Saw Magic. So far, I really like the book and will use it for some jigs.

My dad got me the Delta 50-720 DC. I would have gotten myself at least a 1-1/2 HP unit, but since it was a generous gift, I will just have to use it on one machine at a time rather than plumb a duct system with blast gates. I really didn't have the space for a larger one anyway. My ceiling is only 81" tall.

Other family members got me HD and Sears gift cards, so all in all it was a very nice Christmas for my basement shop.

I will probably go to Rockler tomorrow and pick up a few things for myself. I'll get a few DC fittings and I think more T-Track would be a smart investment.

I'm heading for the workshop to assemble my DC.

Comment

• Kristofor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2004
                            • Twin Cities, MN
                            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I really only picked up one woodworking gift, a Kreg K3 pocket hole kit from my parents. Lots of other nice stuff though (clothes, games, etc.).

The best present I gave was to my wife Nikki. When our son was born all of the videos/pictures were put onto her computer (some prints were made but that was where the originals were kept). However she didn't put them in the "Nikki's Stuff" folder that backs up to the 15TB unraid box in the basement every night. You know where this is going.... Yep, the hard drive puked. No more baby being born pics, no cutting the cord video, nothing from in the hospital or his first ~3 months. This was the cause of lots of (sad) tears. That was about 4-5 months ago.

So, I bit the bullet and sent the drive to Ontrack, a large data recovery company just a couple miles down the road. For more than we spent on all of the other Christmas gifts we gave combined they were able to restore almost all of the files (missed 7 out of over 2800).

This present was good for lots of (happy)tears and happiness. I think I also earned a lot of "Okay, go have fun with XYZ" brownie points.

PS She is aware that this was a one-time deal. In the future she will need to make use of the provided backup mechanism, burn DVDs, or live with the loss if (when) it happens again.

Comment

• ragswl4
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Winchester, Ca
                              • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by leehljp
                              LOML let me purchase a WorkSharp 2000. I wanted a 3000 but it was considerably heavier. Ordering and shipping to Japan was going to be $200 more for the 3000 over the 2000, so I didn't think it was worth the extra $200.

I have used it only once so far and it was great! My main turning chisel was sharpened quick and well. I am as excited about this little machine as I am the Drill Doctor that I bought 5 years ago!
                              I have been wondering how the 2000/3000 might work for sharpening turning chisels. Sounds like it works pretty well. The 2000 looks perfect for that task. Let us know how you like it in a month or so of use. Also any tricks or techniques for sharpening lathe tools would be great. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Omideto Gozaimas. (Spelling??)
                              RAGS
                              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...