• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

How Do You Feel?

I mean generally (physically), like on a daily basis. I guess getting older has its bearing on our health. But, you may be like me, and see doctors for this and that, and are taking prescription medications.

I realize that the theory of "improving the quality of life" can also have other effects. Learning to live with "side effects" ain't easy. I think I felt better before I ever got on medications.

So, how do you feel?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I feel waaaay better than I look...

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I'm in my mid 40's and generally feel pretty good all of the time. There are a few aches and pains occasionally, especially where I've broken bones in the past. I broke my hip and pelvis when I was 12 and walk with a slight limp when I get tired.

A full day of skiing or snowboarding definitely takes its toll a day or two later.
      Chr's

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

The only precription meds I take are an antiinflamitory and an antihistamine. Other than some nagging pain in one knee and back/neck pain from several damaged disks, my health is good. Rarely get sick and I've learned to live with the rest as a part of aging.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• Daryl
          • May 2004

I am mid 50's. I get pains here and there, just part of the deal I guess. My back will ache if I spend too much time leaning over working. Gout flare up will pretty much ruin a few days.
          Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

I'm 60, and having both heart and GI problems, I take a fair amount of meds. The problem is trying to figure out if the 'little bits' (feeling tired, upset stomach, headaches etc.) are from aging or side effects from the meds.The doctors response is invariably, 'could be, but I doubt it', which doesn't really resolve a whole **** of a lot. You can't stop taking the meds, and you certainly can't stop getting older, so you live with it.
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

At 62 (close enough) - Generally feel fine; but I stay tired from 150 mile (round trip) drives 3 to 4 times a week, 10 - 14 hours a day several days a week. Knees hurt some, feet hurt from standing and walking a lot. However when we get church volunteers from the States - and many 20 - 30 years younger, LOML and I out walk them all.

Only medicine is a prescription stomach acid reducer. Yearly colonoscopy because of recurring polyps, but glad for the ability to have a colonoscopy!

Back aches on occasion from picking up boxes that are too heavy, at LOML's "request".
              Last edited by leehljp; 12-18-2008, 08:14 AM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I feel good. Better than I have in a long time. I was in great shape, then I had kids. We went to Boston this summer and did a lot of walking. It was a lot harder than it should have been, and I also saw the pictures and I looked terrible. I've lost 10 lbs in 6 weeks (could be more if I wanted it to) ad will lose another 10 in the next 2 months or so.

No prescriptions or on-going health problems but I am also a good deal younger than most of y'all. Last time I got my hair cut she did say she saw some grey though.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

I'm 43 and was feeling pretty okay. I'm on no meds, and I've been adding more citrus (especially grapefruit juice) to my diet, and further reducing refined/processed stuff, and I've been feeling better.

But don't drink grapefruit juice w/o checking with your doctor due to drug interaction problems (it can reduce the rate at which certain drugs are removed from your blood by your liver).

I've also been buying more fresh fruits/veges, which still amazes me given we're in the middle of winter here.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                    • Grizzly G1023SL

56+ and feeling pretty darn good overall ...

I've lost about 65 pounds over the past 11 months ... it's pretty simple ... eat less exercise more.

I just got off an hour on the treadmill at a 6mph jog at a 4.5 incline ... a year ago I was struggling to manage a 30 minute walk at 4.5mph so clearly better than I was.

I've been taking a statin for several years but my last cholesterol check was perfect so between diet change and exercise I could stop that I suppose .. I keep reading that statins are 'good for you otherwise' so I've just kept them going.

Getting up every morning and putting on the jogging togs is a real mental strain but once that hour is over I definitely 'feel better' .... (probably from knowing I have a 23 hour reprieve before I have to do it again).

Anyway ... since you asked ... as in a song by Newgrass Revival .. " I'm doin' fine how 'bout you ?? ..."
                    Last edited by BadeMillsap; 12-18-2008, 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling
                    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                    Bade Millsap
                    Bulverde, Texas
                    => Bade's Personal Web Log
                    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

I'm 70, but in 2 more days I'll be 71. The only meds I take are blood pressure medication, cholesterol med, and an aspirin daily (had a stroke in '95). I feel absolutely great!! I'm not saying I can do the things I did when I was 30, but can probably do things most others my age have a hard time with. The only thing I have a problem with is my shoulders, and carpal tunnel syndrome. Neither bother me much during the daytime if I don't reach high. If I do, my shoulders bother me.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cwithboat
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                        • Craftsman Pro 21829

I am 68. I had a heart attack September 3rd, quit smoking September 3rd. Angioplasty twice for a total of 5 stents. ACE inhibitor, beta blocker, anti-coagulant, anti-cholesterol, asprin. Colonoscopy in June, 24 polyps, back again in one year. Meniscus trimmed in April. Organized exercise 3 times a week, 2 mile walk on other days. See the doc tomorrow for tremors.
                        I feel great.
                        regards,
                        Charlie
                        A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                        Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Whaler
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Sequim, WA, USA.
                          • DW746

I just shoveled the sidewalk and feel my 71 years. Other than that I am in decent shape, I do take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol and a blood thinner.
                          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• cabinetman
                            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by Whaler
                            I just shoveled the sidewalk and feel my 71 years. Other than that I am in decent shape, I do take meds for blood pressure, cholesterol and a blood thinner.

Do you get real tired easily? I'm on the same regimen.

Comment

• Whaler
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Sequim, WA, USA.
                              • DW746

I have had two major leg surgeries and my legs give out pretty quick.
                              Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...