• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

I just turned 47 but have the spirit (and libido) of a 20-year-old. I'm pretty healthy, in fact in some ways healthier than when I was 20. I can bench press more, for instance.

Yesterday a patient told me, "You can't be more than 35." I told him he had Alzheimer's, but gave him a gold star anyway.

I know from much experience as an observer that exercise and healthy habits are no guarantee of a long, productive life, but without them you can pretty much kiss it goodbye. So I try to do the best I can...
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

I'm 65 and feel great. I play tennis singles at least once a week. I work at home, so I go up and down the stairs 20 times a day.

I take meds for blood pressure and a statin for cholesterol. Don't tell my doc, but the lipitor allows me to continue my addiction to butter and cream. Let's face it cholesterol tastes good.

I can't squat, hunker or kneel comfortably. So, I use a HF rolling stool when I have to get down low.

My life is still far better than the alternative.

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• JeffG78
        Established Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
        • BT3100

I'll be 43 in a few weeks and I am generally in good health other than a shoulder injury. I had an MRI yesterday and should get the results in a few days. I think one or more tears will be found as physical therapy hasn't helped and meds/injections don't phase it. Other than my shoulder, I notice that my memory isn't nearly as good as it once was and my eyesight is getting worse. I'm still 20/20 and don't have glasses, but I should pick up some reading glasses at the drugstore. The eye doc said I only need +1 at this time.

Other than these signs of aging, I feel great. I need to get in better shape, but my annual physical always comes back clean. The good thing for me is that I never get sick. I rarely ever catch a cold even if LOML has one and on the rare occasion I do start to get symptoms, they are mild and go away in a day or two.

I don't think my good health has as much to do with me as with my genes. My dad is 81 and is in great shape. He still looks and acts like a kid. He still takes a yearly hike down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and hikes back up the next day. He could probably beat me in a foot race as well and I'm no slug. Most people wouldn't think he's over 60.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Looking forward to aging now guys! I am thankful for my youth is all I will say.
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
            Looking forward to aging now guys! I am thankful for my youth is all I will say.

Hey...grow up already!

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by cabinetman
              I mean generally (physically), like on a daily basis. I guess getting older has its bearing on our health. But, you may be like me, and see doctors for this and that, and are taking prescription medications.

I realize that the theory of "improving the quality of life" can also have other effects. Learning to live with "side effects" ain't easy. I think I felt better before I ever got on medications.

So, how do you feel?
              Side effects are the consequence of most if not all medications. IF they get severe, or it becomes a "quality of life issue," I'd ask for an alternative.

OTOH, medications that us older folks take do indeed help us live longer. Not necessarily better, just longer.

Comment

• ragswl4
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Winchester, Ca
                • C-Man 22114

I am 61 and have had one heart attack, maybe two but the docs weren't sure. I take two blood pressure medicines, statin, and Plavix. Doc also prescribed 2-1000 mg Omega 3 each day. One stent 3 years ago. In general I feel pretty good but tire easily. Lots of joint pain that I think may be associated with Lipitor but no consensus from the doc so I keep taking it. Chronic lower back problem so can't stand or squat for too long in one position. Lots of leg cramps (again I think Lipitor is the culprit). Insomnia some nights thinking about working on the new house the next day.

Doesn't keep me from doing what I want but can't do it as long as I might want. Building a new home for the last year and play golf once or twice a week so no complaints. Mentally I feel like I'm in my 30s. Don't get as much exercise as I probably should and blame that on the time available. Most likely just an excuse.
                RAGS
                Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                sigpic

Comment

• cork58
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006
                  • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                  • BT3000

I am 60 years young and just falling apart. Sciatic nerve last year at this time, then Mortons neragula in right foot, colon problems, on meds for this and that, ortho, for the back and feet, eyesight isn't so good (3 sets of glasses) and so on. Today I moved a cord of wood from the woodlot to the house, fired up the loader and moved snow the road crew couldn't do on our road, put some poly on a project, cleaned out the barn, fixed a flat tire on wifes car in the shop, rebuilt the carb on the garden tractor again (getting ready for the next snowfall), did a little computer work, and its 3:00 P.M. our time. Still need to sweep out the garage, feed the horses, fill the water trough, find the barn cat and vacuum the house. Wife will cook and I will clean up. Then go to bed and start all over at 4:30 A.M. in the morning.

May be old, but as I see it if you stop doing you will give up. I took an 86 year young man on his last Moose hunt a few years ago and he taught me how to live. I was lucky.

MY advice is that you will have 2 things in this your last life. Time OR money. Which will it be for you, money for things that you will leave behind or memory's for your family and friends.

If you have something you want to do DO IT NOW!

Just my thoughts.

Sorry to go on for so long.
                  Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Never, I have kids to raise

Originally posted by cabinetman
                    Hey...grow up already!
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Originally posted by chopnhack
                      Never, I have kids to raise

Are you old enough to have kids?

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2003
                        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                        • BT3100

61, but act and feel like 40 (12 at times). Take Nexium for the hole in my stomach, antidepressant, anti anxiety meds. Still have slight pain (when it rains from some old wounds courtesy of Victor Charlie; broken wrist, courtesy of Home Depot; broken leg; courtesy of a spill with a 1947 chopped Indian; damaged right thumb courtesy of a belt sander accident and torn rotator cuff courtesy of a local gym.

Other than that, Other than that I'm sort of normal, good blood pressure, low cholesterol, haven't smoked (cigarettes) for 17 years, was a 2 1/2 pack a day addict and only drink Makers Mark bourbon (which I can't afford these days, so I really don't drink too much.

Also had a third of my large intestine removed courtesy of a bout with diverticulitis.

Can't wait to see what's next.

Bruce
                        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• shoottx
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2008
                          • Plano, Texas
                          • BT3000

I feel great, after 56 hard years of use and abuse of this body. Only take a thyroid medicine. Just spent a year dealing with a little heart issue, all resolved and no more medicine. Caused me to give up Skoal after 30 years Quit drinking 25 years ago. Some assorted pains every once in a while from organized sports injuries, bicycle racing crashes, car wrecks, hard parachute landings, livestock training injuries, construction mishaps, and assorted mishaps with power equipment.

I guess I get up just delighted to be alive and wonder what is next!
                          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Kristofor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2004
                            • Twin Cities, MN
                            • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I'm 32 and generally feel good. Like a majority of Americans I have some weight to lose, but I think that effort is going well.

My only nagging issue is with my left shoulder which has been dislocated 5 times and now hurts after some activites including the ever popular s"leeping on my left side". I do feel tired fairly often, but I put that on the 1yr old child and work (tend to get ~3-4hrs of sleep per night during the week).

Comment

• bruce hylton
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • winlock, wa
                              • Dewalt today

I am 59 and feel great most of the time. I take advil when I hurt and try not to do any more than is necessary. Hyper-extended my leg this last may, twice in three weeks, still not right, but getting better every day. Have herniated disc in lower back, only bothers me when I am awake. Wii fitness says I am obese[5'10" and 293 lbs]. What does it know[I am big boned]. I tell my wife what to do at the restaurant/bar and sell a little scrap metal while she is out of my hair. I then drink a few beers, [6-12] to test the quality control of the products she serves our customers, daily. And play with the Wii game for a couple hours every day[Haven't lost any weight yet]. I am a firm believer in home remedy's and tell every one about the virtues of apple cider vinegar, garlic and goat milk. Along with liberal doses of cod liver oil, you can cure almost anything. Almost beer time.

Comment

Working...