I'm a believer but don't put up a tree
    5.13%
    I believe in Santa Clause but put up a tree anyway
    1.92%
    I'm not a believer and don't put up a tree
    2.56%

The poll is expired.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The first year we were married we discovered my wife is allergic to real trees. It's been plastic all the way since then. We have five trees in the house at Christmas, big ones in the living room and family room and my daughters each have smaller ones in their room.

We also send out Christmas cards, not holiday cards. It has never offended any of our Jewish or Hindu friends.
    Chr's

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Artificial for both convenience and economic reasons.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

We'd been cutting a fresh tree from a tree farm for years, but last year we opted to grab one from a tree lot.....sure was a whole lot easier, but a whole lot more expensive! I love the smell of the fresh tree in the house...I doubt the kids and wife will ever let me put up an artificial tree.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

When the back gave up the last tolerant ligament four years ago I switched to an artificial only to find that it's just as heavy. Now. I have one of the sons-in-law bring it up from the basement.
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Artificial trees make more sense to me. Anyway, what the heck is a "chirtian"?

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

Pleae, sir, do not make fun of us! We believe in the great God Chirt, of course.
              We worship buses. Mostly greyhounds (the orthodox amongst us anyway), but some go as far afield as to worship city buses, or even worse, lttle yellow buses (hardly a bus at all, if you ask me!)
              To be in the presence of the all knowing priest (bus driver to the heathens amongst you), and to smell the glorious smell of the on board toilet when it is overflowing, ah, that is bliss!
              To have your feet become adhered to the floor by the 'holy gum', that is true Nirvana!
              But not everyone can be in the presence of this greatness. Oh no! Only those with exact change will be admitted to 'the kingdom'.

Well, now that he changed it, this certainly looks stupid!
              Last edited by herb fellows; 11-24-2008, 04:30 PM.
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

Not only do we (as a family) go out to the wilderness to chop a tree down, we try to do so when it is snowing. The weather doesn't always cooperate, though.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Redford MI.
                  • Craftsman 21829

Why the religion injection into the poll? This skates a fine line on the forum ban on political and religious posts.
                  BTW I pull mine out of a box and plug it in. 2 minutes tops.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • BT-3000, 21829

I couldn't find a statement on the list to vote for.

My neighbor, Ralph, has his own tree service. Every fall he helps a friend harvest trees. Thse trees are mostly destined for banks, churches and other places where large perfect trees are required.

Ralph delivers a perfect tree, right off the stump, to my front porch. We are lucky to have 9 1/2' ceilings in our old house, so these trees look great.

Gone are the days of freezing our toes off at the tree farm. Our kids enjoyed the trips to the farm, but now Grandpa gets to sit by the fire, in his slippers, and watch the grandkids decorate the tree.
                    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

sorry about the religious references. So I should have put instead of the C-word, "member of a religion that does not include trees as part of its ceremonial paraphenalia" but it would not have fit on the limited text line for the choices.

Do we also have to ban those posts that ask what you want for Christmas?
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                        Bandsaw Box Momma
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Around this house hold we go out in the woods as a family and find "OUR perfect tree". Mark and I have done this since we have been married and it is something of a tradition in our family now. We usually wait till after Marks birthday, which is Friday, to go out and cut our tree. I like to go out when its closer to Christmas as the tree lasts longer.
                        Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• Mar 2004
                          • Northern NJ, USA.
                          • BT3100

but is a tree really part of a certain religion which has become associated with trees as a part of itself? I mean I don't think there were many christmas trees in bethlehem or jerasulem, but since I've never been I dunno fer sure. I always thought it was a pagan rite (bringing nature indoors during its throes of death) which was co-opted when a certain religion was introduced into certan northern parts of europe which embraced certain naturalistic/pagan things. Not looking to start anything on "my religion can beat your religion up" or "don't dare call my religion xy&z", just wondering if the indoor use of pine trees is part of a certain religion?

for the record, I used to go to a tree lot and buy a tree and either carry it home (walking) or put in on my car, but now that I live in suburbia, I go to a tree farm and kill a tree myself.
                          A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• smorris
                            • Apr 2003
                            • Tampa, Florida, USA.

We used to sell Christmas trees at the roadside stand on the family farm. One year my uncle went out to pick up a load of trees to bring back. As he rounded a bend in the road the trailer decided that for some reason it wasn't securely attached to the truck anymore and went off-roading...right into the living room of the house on said bend. We haven't sold any trees since that year. For some reason my uncle just doesn't want to do that anymore.

Back to the poll, we have an artificial tree with prewired lights. unfold and plug in. Problem with live trees is the cats think we put it up for them to climb.
                            --
                            Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

We go to a tree farm to cut a live one. I did that as a kid and loved it.
                              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...