• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Shop clutter suggestions?

I am in a battle with shop clutter. The clutter is winning.

How do you guys handle it?
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Have lots of space for storage, get obsessive about putting things away and cleaning up, get rid of scrap.

Of course, you must do as I say, not as I do

Scraps are the worst part for me. By the end of the week, I hope to have a home for all of the tools that have been occupying every square inch of flat surface in my shop. Then I need to start culling scrap.

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

Surrender

I am convinced it is a lack of space! I am inquiring about the Old Cowboys Stadium. I think I could have enough space so there wouldn't be any clutter!
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• milanuk
        Established Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

Jack,

No kidding! I recently went thru and cleaned up my shop... well, most of it. A few areas were relegated to the old 'push everything that doesn't fit anywhere else over there' treatment. At least now I have open space in the middle...

Seriously, though. This spring things were relatively neat, and on their way to being organized. I had plans to make cabinets for this n that... then the match season hit (I shoot long range rifle competitions) and I had no time for woodworking. The few times I did need to do something, it seemed like I ended up going through, tools and junk flying every which way until I found what I needed, did the job, and moved on. Putting stuff back was something I'd 'do later'. As a result... I got to spend several days this fall just getting back to where I was this spring.

In my case, the major problem seems to be lack of storage... I've got lots of space in the shop (really), just a distinct lack of functional shelving and/or cabinets. Hence, stuff tends to get piled on (and over flow off of) any horizontal surface available.

Next shop project is a tool hutch / set of shelves to go over my work area... get some of the stuff up *off* the top long enough to give me enough space to work in to make one of those 18 drawer work benches of Tom's... hopefully after that point I should be either caught up w/ the storage mess or at least gaining on it...

Monte
        All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

5S: learn it, love it, live it.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Two words, Pegboard and cabinets. Make a place for everything and keep everything in its place

About a year ago I decided to get organized. Once I had enough storage for everything and everything had its place, I started putting away each tool as soon as I was done with it. I regressed once and spent 20 minutes looking for my steel ruler I had just set down a couple of minutes earlier. It was on the rail of my saw and blended in perfectly. It should have been hanging about five feet away. The ten seconds I saved not hanging it up cost me 20 minutes of wasted time.

The best part is when I get a call from my mother in law, I can find everything I think I'll need, throw it in a tool bag and fix whatever is needed quickly. I used to spend an hour or more looking for my tools and nearly always gave up on one or two that were needed.
            Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

My TS, BS, Router table are on wheels and I roll them out when I need to use them. I don't have space for them to be used in place - except the drill press and lathe.

I also have tools that I haven't used in a while, so they are stored in marked boxes for easy access. Occasionally and rarely used tools are on high shelfs. Screws and bolts, tape, squares, marking devices are on shelves at eye level. I have several 8 inch wide bins also at eye level for separate tools such as, screwdrivers in one, pliers in another, adjustables and wrenches in another.

This has helped me tremendously.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

It's a cosmic fact that clutter will expand to completely fill whatever space is available for it... In other words, you are doomed...

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

I just learned to pick my feet up high in the shop and watch where I put them down!
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                    • Nov 2004
                    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                    • Delta Contractor Saw

Originally posted by Pappy
                    I just learned to pick my feet up high in the shop and watch where I put them down!

I was hoping I wasn't the only one that solved the problem that way.

Comment

• herb fellows
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • New York City
                      • bt3100

Flame thrower. LARGE flame thrower.
                      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• jackellis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

Flame thrower. LARGE flame thrower.
                        This was actually going to be my first bit of advice but I didn;t think it would be very helpful....

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

Storage and organization.

Dont get me wrong, my shop can be as messy as the next persons but I do try to have a home for everything. I am continually looking for ways to improve it. I can tell there is a problem if I find the same tools laying around all the time. This usually means they have no home or the one they are supposed to live in isnt right.

I have a pegboard but it has got very unorganized and a rework of what lives on it and where is on my list.

My list of such "todos" currently looks like this.

1. wall mounted rack for measuring/marking tools. These are used all the time and have been living in a drawer which is now getting cluttered. Having them easily accessible on the wall will mean they are more likely to be put back and it will free up some drawer space.
                          2. I seem to have grown my chisel collection and there is no home for them all to live together. SOme stay laying on the bench which is NOT good.
                          3. New router table cabinet. Lots more storeage and will get a lot of router clutter out of a large drawer in my main bench.
                          4. pegboard re-org.

Thats it for now but I am always adding new things, it never ends.
                          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                          techzibits.com

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

Close the door and walk away. Come back when you don't mind the clutter.

g.
                            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                            Bill & Ted

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I have tormented over this very problem, quite publicly hoping to help others. And I am FAR from having it licked, but I have made progress. Thus far I have....

#1. Any scrap too small or messed up to be useful goes into an old 30 gallon trash can, and then in turn into the chiminea, or camp fire.
                              #2. Any power tool not so equipped with rolling, or folding / rolling stands, gets set up with a mobile base. I am about halfway done with that. The mobile bases, and mobile stands allow me to roll everything against one of the garage walls to be put away as it were.
                              #3. Handheld power tools that didn't come with their own tool bags, or injection molded cases, get a tool bag. All / or as much of the accessories as possible go in the cases / bags.
                              #4. Pegboard and LOTS of pegs.
                              #5. CLAMP RACKS.
                              #6. Tool boxes. I am not happy with my solution but it's what I had. I like the big Craftsman rolling tool cabinet with the Proto 6 drawer chest. It worked GREAT as a mechanics setup. HOWEVER, having both auto and woodworking tools in my shop means I need WAY more small tool storage space. I am using Rubbermaid tool boxes. I do NOT like this approach. I am seriously considering adding side cabinets to my existing tool cabinet.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1956000P?mv=rr

#7. Lumber storage. Right now it is jammed up in the front corner of the garage between the garage door track and the wall. Not real efficient storage. Not sure what to do with that. I am working some redesign ideas for my workbench that will incorporate lumber storage for cutoffs, as well as long piece storage. Sheet goods can stay where they are now.
                              #8. Dust collection stacking. I am building a stacking rack for my Thien Cyclone / Shop vac setup. This isn't real pretty but it should work well. I just need to grab some casters.
                              #9. Size your cabinets / carts right. I built my router table cart with 2x4 framing and built it too big. With the BT / 21829 or similar rig with a router table insert in the table saw, you kill 2 storage / location birds with one stone. A GREAT idea for maximizing your floor space. And most likely where I am going to go with mine.
                              #10. Extension cord hangers. I use Geckos Toes organizers. I like how they pay out cable with a simple tug, but they are a PITA to put cable back on. I don't recommend them anymore. I would be happier with reels.

The long term goal is a space for everything, lumber, parts, tools, cleaning supplies. I don't know it is actually possible without a dedicated building, and tons of time and money to set it all up. And then how do you keep it orderly? My Dad did it, I have no idea how...
                              Last edited by dbhost; 11-24-2008, 11:26 AM.
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...