• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Mitsubishi DLP HD TV

Now that we have decided to go Hi Tech in our house by getting AT&T UVerse, TV,Phone, and Computer and my BIL gave 4000ft of blue and white CAT5 cable, so I can run all the cable in walls. We need to get a new HD TV. I have looked at many both LCD/Plasma. which are on the expensive side. So I looked at a 60" Mitsubishi DLP HD TV and liked it and the price. Has anybody here had any experience with the DLP technology? If so how was it.
    Looks like after Thanksgiving I will be hoisting this 66 year old bod into the Attic and start pulling some cable. I have alread drilled all the holes in plate and wall when I installed coax cable so it is just a matter of climbing over the trusses and drop the Cat 5 in those holes. With that much Cat 5 cable to play I might run some out to the shop. BIL showed me his set up and he did a nice job and he has a two story house mine is level. Just need to find out where AT&T is going to put there boxes so I can run the cable to that location.

Nice thing is I now have a woodworking project, need a new cabinet for the TV and all the equipment.

Tom
  • dewi1219
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Birmingham, AL

I looked at DLP but ended up buying an LCoS unit. I thought the DLP looked great (couldn't tell much difference between it and LCoS) and would have been perfectly happy with it, I just got a better deal on the LCoS at the time. Just make sure the unit you're looking at is a three-chip unit and not a single-chip unit or you run the risk of experiencing the dreaded "rainbow artifacts" I could never see them myself.

Read more about it here.

Comment

• JeffG78
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
      • BT3100

I have a plasma and have never owned a DLP, but from what I understand, if they they have the old-style light source (most still do), then the cost to maintain them can get pretty high. The bulb lasts 2-4 years and costs hundreds to replace. The color wheel often goes bad from what I've been told. The newer Samsung DLPs have LED lighting and will not have the short bulb life issue, but the purchase price is higher.

If you have the space, then a DLP is a very good choice over a plasma or LCD. They excel when wall mounting is needed, but are otherwise no better than DLP for 1/2 the price.

Comment

• TJG
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2006

I haven't owned a DLP either, but I have known a few people that had them. They had the issue where the bulb went out after two years and it costs about $200 to replace. The initial cost was less than comparable LCD and plasma displays, but if they have to replace the bulb every 2-4 years, it would probably run about the same over a 10 year lifespan.

When I decided to go HD, I researched it and decided on plasma and have been very happy with that decision.

Comment

• burrellski
          Established Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Saint Joseph, MO.

I have a Samsung DLP. It's going on three years and I am 100% happy with it. I made the decision to go the DLP for a number of reasons, including price. Mitsubishi makes a great DLP as well. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I was initially concerned about bulb life / cost too, but I got a very very good deal so I went ahead and jumped on it. After 3 years of high use the bulb is still going strong. Replacement bulb costs have also come down in the last couple years. I've seen mine for ~$150. Just make sure you get in the habit of turning the TV off when you leave the room. Wouldn't want the life of your bulb ticking away while you're in the other room eating dinner.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

DLP is a technology used for projecting - either front projectors or rear projectors.
            rEAR PROJECTORS ARE going to be about 15-18 deep compared to 3-4 inches deep for LCD or Plasma.
            BUlbs are expensive as mentioned, my front projector has a $300 bulb that lasts 3000 hours, so about 10 cents per hour use.

Generally DLP or even LCD rear projectors are cheaper compared to LCD or plasma thin-flat screens. some people have artifacts issues, and I'm not sure how many DLP sets are available with 1080 native resolution.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• aiyou
              SawdustZone Patron
              • Mar 2006
              • Charlotte, NC
              • BT3100

For what it might be worth, I have a 57" Mitsubishi DLP (model WD57731). I'm on my 3rd lamp in less than 2 years (purchased 12/30/06). First lamp failed 25 days after the 1 year warranty period. Replacement bulb was $285 + $25 core charge. Replacement bulb failed 9 months later - same costs to replace, as warranty is shorter on replacement parts.

When replacing the bulbs, noticed a fine layer of dust covering the intake vent by the cooling fan.

I have a coworker who has an older, smaller model. She's replaced the bulb once in the past 4-5 years.

She was advised to clean a filter periodically, but there is no filter on my model, so perhaps a design change.

--Rob

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Thank you all for your input. I will continue doing research on the subject and see what Black Friday might bring. That is LOML and her sisters job. I refuse to get up that early or fight those Idiots fighting to get through the doors. Every thing she saves on the budgeted price is hers to keep. When I was looking at them the had 57" LCD sitting next to the 60" DLP and I could see a difference in picture and a big difference in price. Maybe if we get a federal bailout and I sell my Jet we could get a LCD. Just kidding. We will see how much of LOML's mad money she wants to kick in to get a LCD or PLasma. Me I rather save on the TV and have more for tools and other projects. I don't need to count Kobe's nose hairs. I do have to say that LCD was nice, the picture looked sharper and had more detail. Probably will have to head over the IKEA and find a temporary stand/table for it, until I can build a proper one, see more tools.

Tom

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

I have an LCD flat panel, wouldn't consider a projection one personally, unless I had a dedicated room which had a huge screen with a ceiling-mounted front projector...

-Tim

Comment

• mmcduffie
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Des Moines, Washington.
                    • BT3000

I've had my Mitsubishi WD-Y65 65" DLP (1080P) for about a year and a half.

No lamps yet, he says with fingers crossed.

I do like the TV but it has a short coming that some folks may not care for. Picture quality on regular (non HD) TV broadcasts, over the air or cable, is a bit softer than other sets. It's not bad and I no longer notice it but at first it was a bit disappointing.

On HD signals, over the air or cable, the picture is great. I feed it an up converted signal from my Oppo digital DVD player and the picture, while not HD is still very good.

Michael

Comment

• bigstick509
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Macomb, MI, USA.
                      • BT3100

I've had my Samsung DLP for almost 4 years without a single problem. You might want to check out this site for some user reviews and insight.
                      A forum community dedicated to home theater owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about home audio/video, TVs, projectors, screens, receivers, speakers, projects, DIY’s, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• maxparot
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I have Samsumgs second generation 1080p 56" LED DLP. Mine is about a year old and is serving me well. Under most conditions it is hard to tell the difference between it and a LED screen. First generation of this tech had a rainbow effect on some motion images but that seems to have been eliminated in the second generation. The LED lamps are rated to outlast most plasma and at least equal most LED screens so it doesn't have the shortcommings of most other projector style TVs. It's biggest shortcomming is weight and depth. This is not a big screen you can hang on a wall it needs to be on a stand.
                        Definately compare this technology side by side before making a decision the pricing should be comparable to the Mitsubishi. Be sure to adjust each TV to your liking because the store tend to adjust the ones with more markup to appear to have better pictures.
                        Opinions are like gas;
                        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• prlundberg
                          Established Member
                          • May 2006
                          • Minnesota
                          • Craftsman 21829

The problems with DLP are mainly bulb replacement, which LED-based sets should solve, and viewing angles.

I recently bought a plasma after owning a rear-projection CRT for three years. I don't miss the rear-projection at all. If you are going to sit directly in front of the TV and have the space a DLP will probably work fine.

There are big things happening in the flat panel world, Panasonic has some really cool plasmas coming out next year, LCDs continue to improve, and new technologies are on the horizon. All technologies have significant issues that vary in importance depending on the person and their needs, so like Mike mentioned go to AVS and look around, there is a LOT to learn. A bargin-basement TV today is going to be superior to some of the best TVs available just three years ago, so keep that in mind. But like anything, you still get what you pay for.

You are not going to find a comparable-sized flat panel in that price range. But there are quite a few good 50-52" models.
                          Phil

Comment

• Mar 2004
                            • Northern NJ, USA.
                            • BT3100

Can't offer a learned opinion on flat panel vs. dlp/lcos, but it seems to go all the way and not finish the deal is silly. Notice all the comments that read, in some form or another, that dlp is so close to lcd/plasma you shouldn't be able to tell the difference. But that's your choice to make.

But, on running the wire, remember to cross electrical wires, not run alongside. And, wherever possible, keep cat5e from other teledata (like cable wires), and for that matter, don't bundle a bunch together in a "trunk" line. Has to do with interference, bleed over, etc. The last two are not as impt. as the first, and likely no effect, but since you're doing it you can do it right. Oh, and for pete's sake, lable each wire as you go, not afterwards. Ask me how I know!
                            A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• TB Roye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                              • BT3100

I was hoping to go buy one today. But it won't be untill Saturday at the earliest. Got Stuck on a Jury today, the first time in 20 call ups. So it looks like we will get the case on Wednesday morning, or maybe late Tuesday. So with Black Friday coming I will not attempt to shoping on Friday. Was hoping to get for the games on Thrusday, so a few more day for reasearch. Thanks for all the input it is appriciated.

Tom

Comment

Working...