• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Unsolicited Books

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before but I feel lazy tonight.

Several months back Woodworker's Journal sent be an unsolicited package that included a book. It was part of a subscription offer - I could keep the book and pay $10 or return the book in a post-paid package.

At this moment, the package is sitting, opened, somewhere in the house. I haven't been inclined to make the effort to return the book...because I feel lazy.

It seems to me that since the package was unsolicited, I can pay for it and keep it, or return it, or just keep it. After all, it wasn't something I ordered. As it is, I have to spend some time every few weeks shredding credit card solicitations and this is just one more bit of junk mail.

The right thing to do is to return the book. Any opinions on what I'm obligated to do?
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

It's yours to do with as you please. If you didn't order it and they just sent it you can consider it a gift.

Comment

• Alex Franke
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2007
      • Chapel Hill, NC
      • Ryobi BT3100

I got a DVD with woodworking tips a month or so ago. In this case the letter that came with it was honest enough to say, "Because you didn't ask for this, you're under no obligation to pay for it -- you can just keep it as a free gift..."
      online at http://www.theFrankes.com
      while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
      "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Greg in Maryland
        Established Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Montgomery Village, Maryland
        • BT3100

Hi

Unordered merchandise constitutes a gift and does not need to be paid for or returned. See http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/39..._IV_20_30.html and http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/39/3009.shtml

However, I have heard that some shenanigans going on with collection notices being issued for unpaid or unreturned merchandise. For this reason, I return all unsolicited merchandise -- presuming I do not have to pay for postage or be inconvenienced. It is easier for me to return something than to battle the bureaucracy of a large organization.

Better yet, I refuse delivery when I can -- of course, I need to stop my wife from opening the mail first, but that is another issue.

Greg

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

You aren't obligated to do anything but I would return the book. I had an experience similar to what Greg mentioned and it turned out to be much more hassle to get the 12.00 refunded than it did just returning the merchandise.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

If I don't order something, and I get it in the mail, I might keep it or I might return it. If I decide to keep it, I don't care if they try to put it on my credit report or not. If they do, I'll protest. It will come off without returning it.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I have stopped reading Woodworker's Journal because of this.

Comment

• Rob25
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2006
                • UP Michigan
                • BT 3000

woodworkers journal! - YIKES!

I recently picked up a Woodworker's Journal magazine in the book store this week, and since it was wrapped in plastic with some calendar, I wasn’t able to browse through it. Well, it was one of the worst magazines I have ever paged through. Complete sell out. More ads then I have ever seen in a woodworking magazine. I have been contemplating sending them a letter telling them how bad their magazine is! What really bothered me is you can go on line and read more about what they were talking about in their articles; why would I want to do that when I already paid for there magazine?... I thought there section at the back, "Marketplace" was amusing... Their whole magazine is a marketplace!

As for the origional poster, I dont know what the rules are for that stuff... I would keep it though... why not.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

If you don't have a conscience and you don't think about their good will and interest in you being furthered in your woodworking knowledge, keep the book, and don't pay for it. You may not have nightmares about a squad of magazine raiders finding their way to your plane and cutting off the wings. Or, magazine executives running surveillance on your lifestyle, and then submitting video tape to "The Smoking Gun", for national TV exposure.

Or, if you don't want to keep it and pay for it, and have a conscience and high moral fiber, send it back in the post paid package that they were so kind and thoughtful to provide you. After that you can carry your head high, with no need to continually look over your shoulder. With this new fresh breath of air and feelings of freedom from the ills of the world, you'll likely become a philosopher of life and a regular contributor to "Save The Children".

Comment

• Alex Franke
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Chapel Hill, NC
                    • Ryobi BT3100

My wife got a craft kit in the mail last year sometime. The letter that came with it made it very clear that it should be returned or paid for, and the return envelope wasn't even postage paid! I suggested she just keep it, but she stuck some stamps on it and returned it anyway -- to avoid any potential difficulties or disagreements down the line.

Originally posted by Rob25
                    I recently picked up a Woodworker's Journal magazine in the book store this week, . . . Complete sell out. More ads then I have ever seen in a woodworking magazine.
                    Maybe you got a special advertising issue or something. I subscribe to the magazine and like it. It typically runs ad/edit ratio of about 35-40, which is quite typical (same as Wood magazine, Forbes, Business Week, etc). 50% and above would be on the high side, and anything above 75% I think the magazine doesn't even qualify for the second class mailing rate (the rate available to magazine publishers). They also tend to put more ads at the start and end and fewer in the middle, so where you look in the magazine might make a difference, too.

(Sorry to stray off topic, here.)
                    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Mar 2004
                      • Northern NJ, USA.
                      • BT3100

I say that you are under no obligation to return it since while at no economic cost, you gotta rewrap it, walk/drive to post office or post box, and put it into the system. No big effort sure, but an effort all the same. And I don't care who you are, you can't go and put the load on someone else who didn't ask for it.

But, I would add that if you don't return it you shouldn't read it or keep it. yeah, maybe leaf through it to see if it is worth the $10 or so they want from you, but otherwise if you aren't gonna pay, either return it or get rid of it.

I agree wwj is generally a good pub, but things like this make me wonder. I guess times are that tough for the publishing industry?
                      A Man is incomplete until he gets married ... then he's FINISHED!!!

Comment

• jackellis
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

If you don't have a conscience and you don't think about their good will and interest in you being furthered in your woodworking knowledge, keep the book, and don't pay for it. You may not have nightmares about a squad of magazine raiders finding their way to your plane and cutting off the wings. Or, magazine executives running surveillance on your lifestyle, and then submitting video tape to "The Smoking Gun", for national TV exposure.

Or, if you don't want to keep it and pay for it, and have a conscience and high moral fiber, send it back in the post paid package that they were so kind and thoughtful to provide you. After that you can carry your head high, with no need to continually look over your shoulder. With this new fresh breath of air and feelings of freedom from the ills of the world, you'll likely become a philosopher of life and a regular contributor to "Save The Children".
                        Gee thanks Mike. Just what I need...more guilt

If I don't just keep the book, I've decided I'm going to write the publisher a letter and explain that while I appreciate their kind offer, I don't appreciate unsolicited mail that I either have to pay for or return. That's just not right and next time I will consider any package they send me mine to do with as I please.

Comment

• tribalwind
                          • Feb 2004
                          • long island, ny.

obligated to do zilch, this is a marketing/promotional ploy.
                          i think they did the same thing to me a ways back, and also some mag sent me some brass coin with an oak tree ?.ok thanks.

little rant on the rags...i let most of my subscriptions expire, i only kept WOOD as i had a 2year or more sub on it..
                          all of the mags seem to keep regurgitating the same stuff ,build a new router-table,build a new tapering jig,blah blah....i think the tool reviews are biased towards their advertisers so basically useless.
                          (WJ is worst i think,and agree a ton more ads) i've got piles of them already,mostly just take up needed space. if i want to build something i usually prefer to make my own design anyway,most of the pieces in the mags dont tend to appeal to me.

nicest i think were woodsmith and shopnotes, i liked the thick non-glossy paper,articles and zero advertising.

anyone know if any woodworking mags are using recycled post consumer paper?
                          i dont believe they are,you'd think thatd be a no-brainer..guessing its cost?
                          namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I know they are counting on your guilt to make you pay for the book. They don't really want it back; the labor cost to have someone receive and individually unpack each book and return them to a warehouse would be prohibitive.

They have no right to make you under any obligation, even moral, to pay for, or otherwise return or donate thjat book. That loss is factored into their business model.
                            You do not have to
                            1. Pay for the book
                            2. return it
                            3. donate it to a library.
                            you can read it, throw it away or give it to friend if its an unrequested item. Just be careful when you sign up for contests that you aren't missing any fine print that says if you submit this card/form we will send you for evaluation such and such item.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Hellrazor
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Abyss, PA
                              • Ridgid R4512

Put a letter in the return envelope that says "I will return this when you send me $10 to cover labor and postage" and sent it back. You can play the same game

Comment

Working...