• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Going under the dreaded drill...

Edit: Whoopsie! Wrong section! - Mods please move to Coffee Pot -- this is certainly no brgain!

Turns out I need a root canal to bring my mastication rate back up to optimal hum that I'm used to... The culprit? Probably bruxism combined with a hard porcelain crown on the mating tooth. Next time I think I'll get gold and a bite guard...

I *so* hate going to the dentist... Plus it looks like I'll have to put off moving to the dark side for a bit longer... (sigh!)
    Last edited by Alex Franke; 11-04-2008, 06:33 PM. Reason: Wrong forum!
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

so let us know how it feels to have a unisaw and Biese fence installed in your mouth.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I haven't figured this world out just yet . . . hating going to the dentist. When I have a bad tooth ache, the dentist is my best friend. Get an extra shot of novocain. I write this with a bad tooth ache just waiting until my appointment time to (hopefully) start a root canal. The whole jaw is aching.

I had a cracked filling one year ago and immediately pain started - deep down. I begged the dentist to do a root canal but he insisted it was not necessary. Within a week after the filling, I was back and told him it hurt slightly to chew on the filling. He said give it a month. I did and it still hurt mildly. I could chew soft foods but not nuts like pecans, almonds or peanuts. But I put it off.

About 3 weeks ago, it started little by little hurting more - even with softer foods and hot or cold liquids or foods.

Now to get rid of that pain - a dentist and root canal are welcome!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Lee,

It's completely psychological. I don't mind going to the dentist anymore since I found a sedation dentist. He gives me a valium before I go in for my appointment and he could cut off my left arm for all I care...

Seriously, I admit to a severely irrational fear of needles. I can gash myself open and hardly notice, but get completely unhinged at the sight of needles...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by dbhost
          Lee,

It's completely psychological. I don't mind going to the dentist anymore since I found a sedation dentist. He gives me a valium before I go in for my appointment and he could cut off my left arm for all I care...

Seriously, I admit to a severely irrational fear of needles. I can gash myself open and hardly notice, but get completely unhinged at the sight of needles...

Amen to that. I had some oral surgery a few years back and the surgeon gave me valium before my visit. As you say, he could have cut off my head and I would have felt no pain. I have had 6 root canals since that time and all without pain but all with valium. Better life through chemistry in this case.
          RAGS
          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
          sigpic

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I can feel your pain.

I used to love going to the dentist...when I had better health care. I was
            told yesterday I'd be needing a crown after having a filling drilled out and
            replaced. That's $900 I'll never see again. Bruxism is the probable culprit, too,
            causing a crack to form below my filling. Probably job stress. Same job that
            gives me crappy health care.

I hate wearing the night guard but I think I might start again because it's
            cheaper than the alternative.

Paul

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

I like my dentist, he is a great guy. I'm not afraid of needles either, I just have trouble getting deadened. I have had 6 shots of novacaine and still felt it. Pain pills have minimal effect on me. When I was in 3rd grade, they had trouble putting me under with ether for my tonsilectomy.

So, the dentist is a good guy, but not my favorite place to go.

Bill
              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                so let us know how it feels to have a unisaw and Biese fence installed in your mouth.
                Yeah, tell me about it. $1000 for a root canal treatment, and another $1000 for the crown. That could be such a nice "dark side" saw!

Originally posted by leehljp
                I haven't figured this world out just yet . . . hating going to the dentist. When I have a bad tooth ache, the dentist is my best friend. . . . Now to get rid of that pain - a dentist and root canal are welcome!
                I always feel better after going to the dentist. They really do a great job of making the pain go away and making the teeth feel clean. But it's the part where I'm sitting in the chair that I really dislike... First of all, the hygienist that I usually get is just brutal. (I think I'll start requesting the other one again.)

I don't like getting the shots either... or even all the sounds and smells, and poking and scraping involved in the process -- especially when you see the dentist exerting more effort than you feel is appropriate for the inside of your mouth. And those x-ray films are just too big for my mouth, too.
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Alex Franke
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Chapel Hill, NC
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                  I hate wearing the night guard but I think I might start again because it's cheaper than the alternative.
                  I picked up one of the DIY night guards at the drug store. I figured I'd give it a try before I ante up another $1000 for the one the dentist makes. (Why does everything seem to cost $1000 at the dentist?)

Any luck with those?

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                    I picked up one of the DIY night guards at the drug store. I figured I'd give it a try before I ante up another $1000 for the one the dentist makes. (Why does everything seem to cost $1000 at the dentist?)

Any luck with those?
                    When he told me I should wear a night guard, he wanted several hundred for
                    a custom one. I got one from CVS. It's OK. It makes me slobber but I'm a
                    back sleeper so it's not too bad. It takes me a little longer to fall asleep, too,
                    because I keep chewing on it and that keeps me awake. But it's not too bad
                    because I still start dozing less than a minute after hitting the pillow. I might
                    try to remold it again because there's a spot that irritates my mouth.

Overall, I'd prefer to sleep without it. However, I noticed I don't have tension
                    in my neck when I wake up so it must be doing its job. I've also been doing
                    some research on Amazon for a better one.

Paul

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I've used the pliable ones with the adjustable hinge (kind of a cam) to adjust the length, as I recall, Alex. It did the trick so I just keep it around in case the bruxism starts again.

My doc uses a newer drug instead of Novacain and it does seem to help. The delivery system is automated. The needle is attached to a tube and a pump. When it pumps enough in that back-pressure is sensed it stops, beginning again whe it receives the "all clear". He also has a mill right there that mills the new crown as per a photo-impression. The stock is color matched to your own colors and start to finish - hollowing out, photo, milling, glue and cure - takes two hours. I've done two and it's no sweat.
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

Good luck Alex! Hope you have better luck than I'm having. Put me in the column of those that do not like going to the dentist.

After 3.5 days of pain free life Tuesday they removed the packing they placed in my wisdom tooth socket. 24 hours later I was in so much pain I had to return to get it repacked. Hopefully when they remove the packing next Monday all will be well and I'll remain pain free.
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Alex Franke
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Chapel Hill, NC
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                          After 3.5 days of pain free life Tuesday they removed the packing they placed in my wisdom tooth socket. 24 hours later I was in so much pain I had to return to get it repacked. Hopefully when they remove the packing next Monday all will be well and I'll remain pain free.
                          Yeah, I had the wisdom teeth taken out a couple years ago. That was just brutal. On the way out they said, "You'll want to pick up this prescription on the way home." I didn't listen, thinking I would just have my wife pick it up a couple hours later. Boy was I ever wrong to wait!

I think I went back three or four times before it was all said and done. (Remind me to never get my wisdom teeth extracted again )

Good luck to you, too!

Comment

Working...