• Show
Clear All
  • Gator95
    Established Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Atlanta GA
    • Ridgid 3660

Crossposting- OK or rude?

What has been the historical etiquite of crossposting on this forum? I read and occasionally post on this forum, Woodnet, and Sawmill Creek on a regular basis. Has anyone had a problem in the past with posting the same question/post on BT3Kcentral and woodnet to get maximum input?

My instinct is that it isn't a big deal, but some other forums I've been on in the past (golf) considered crossposting as less than polite. Just thought I should check.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

No problem here. Several of us do that with a pen turning forum too.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I don't see a problem with it. Getting as much input as you can is generally a good thing. I post a lot of Home Improvement questions over on Woodnet because I know there are a few guys there who are electricians/plumbers by trade.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

It's generally accepted here. I don't think I've ever seen a complaint.

Crossposting with these forums isn't like crossposting in usenet.
        Erik

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

If you did not cross post I would not see your post as this is the only WW forum that I visit on a regular basis.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LarryG
            The Full Monte
            • May 2004
            • Off The Back
            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Agree with everyone above. I regard crossposting, as you define it, as akin to getting a second opinion from another doctor. If you want to be really sure of the answer you're getting, soliticing advice from the widest possible audience only makes sense.

But "crossposting" can also mean asking the same question in different sections of the same forum ... for example, in both "Tool Talk" and "Getting Started" here on BT3Central. THAT practice is virtually always frowned on, as it wastes bandwidth and fragments the discussion.

I think some people confuse these two scenarios. They've heard that crossposting is bad, so when they see someone post the same question on two entirely different message boards, they jump on the poster -- not realizing that the practice they're complaining about is something else entirely. IOW, some people just parrot "You're not supposed to crosspost!" without really understanding what they're saying.
            Larry

Comment

• RAFlorida
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2008
              • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
              • Ryobi BT3000

Same as Mark. Those other forums are ok, but

BT3Central has a much more pleasant atmosphere. Besides, if you're looking for answers, doesn't it seem more likely to get results by cross posting? And if you're posting results of your projects, you get more numbers of views. Just my thoughts.

Comment

• RayintheUK
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I take a slightly different view, in that although cross-posting between forums is, in itself, OK, there are some contributors who - having given freely of their advice on one forum - then see the same question, from the same OP, on another.

This can be taken, by the respondent, in one of two ways: a) it's a cross-post, plain and simple, or b) the OP didn't like the advice given and is searching elsewhere for it.

Therefore, to avoid any suggestion of rudeness, I'd always declare that I was posting the same question on more than one forum. That way, there's no possible chance of any misinterpretation down the line. Slightly more trouble to take, I'll admit, but more polite also.

While I think it's fine to give exactly the same answer to a question on more than one forum, I've also seen replies from some posters that were a direct lift of an answer by someone else on another forum. This would be something I'd also declare, rather than posting the answer unattributed.

Ray.
                Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by RayintheUK
                  I take a slightly different view, in that although cross-posting between forums is, in itself, OK, there are some contributors who - having given freely of their advice on one forum - then see the same question, from the same OP, on another.

This can be taken, by the respondent, in one of two ways: a) it's a cross-post, plain and simple, or b) the OP didn't like the advice given and is searching elsewhere for it.

Therefore, to avoid any suggestion of rudeness, I'd always declare that I was posting the same question on more than one forum. That way, there's no possible chance of any misinterpretation down the line. Slightly more trouble to take, I'll admit, but more polite also.

While I think it's fine to give exactly the same answer to a question on more than one forum, I've also seen replies from some posters that were a direct lift of an answer by someone else on another forum. This would be something I'd also declare, rather than posting the answer unattributed.

Ray.

Well said Ray. Being polite is never frowned upon. I've not considered the term "crossposting" as the posting of the same post on different sites. I just call it posting on different sites. I don't see much of it happening on the same site, and I doubt if it's a Federal offense. I have seen circumstances where someone will assume duties of "captain of the ship" and tell the poster of the mistake. I do feel posting questions on different sites (forums) gains a wider field of possible replies.

There has to be an expectation that members here are members elsewhere, and may even use different screen names. I don't think posts are proprietary to a forum (site).

Comment

• germdoc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Omaha, NE
                    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by Gator95
                    What has been the historical etiquite of crossposting on this forum? My instinct is that it isn't a big deal, but some other forums I've been on in the past (golf) considered crossposting as less than polite. Just thought I should check.
                    My feeling is that crossposters are OK here. We're a very tolerant group, including transforum members, woodworkers who love other woodworkers, turners (there's an odd bunch of folks for you), guys with a Stanley fixation, etc. Heck they even let me post here from time to time...
                    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• messmaker
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2004
                      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                      • Ridgid 2424

I have been guilty of crossposting. It has usually happened when I needed input for a project that was in the works. If I were to get little or no response, I look elsewhere for the info I need. The flip side of that is that when I find a super deal or new info that might be helpful, I try to post that as well, so that we all can share in the benefits.
                      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
                        Agree with everyone above. I regard crossposting, as you define it, as akin to getting a second opinion from another doctor. If you want to be really sure of the answer you're getting, soliticing advice from the widest possible audience only makes sense.

But "crossposting" can also mean asking the same question in different sections of the same forum ... for example, in both "Tool Talk" and "Getting Started" here on BT3Central. THAT practice is virtually always frowned on, as it wastes bandwidth and fragments the discussion.

I think some people confuse these two scenarios. They've heard that crossposting is bad, so when they see someone post the same question on two entirely different message boards, they jump on the poster -- not realizing that the practice they're complaining about is something else entirely. IOW, some people just parrot "You're not supposed to crosspost!" without really understanding what they're saying.
                        I'm in pretty much exact agreement with the points Larry makes.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• shoottx
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2008
                          • Plano, Texas
                          • BT3000

Whew! I was getting real nervous with germdoc's descriptions.

I have always tried to be polite in all of my questions, well sometimes a little sarcastic . So when accused of crossposting I thought I was in real trouble.

I have tried to only post on the forum that would have the best chance of answering my question. If I am not sure which would be the best I will ask the question on a couple. I appreciate the suggestion of stating "Therefore, to avoid any suggestion of rudeness, I'd always declare that I was posting the same question on more than one forum. That way, there's no possible chance of any misinterpretation down the line. Slightly more trouble to take, I'll admit, but more polite also."
                          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Posting the same question say between here, and woodworkintalk.com, or sawmillcreek.com is generally accepted, and most of the users on these forums kind of expect it. There are members that are on some of these boards and not the others. Spread the question around and get the best answers you can...

Now, cross posting from subject to subject within one site is considered poor forum form... And generally makes the poster look like a spammer...

Overall, I would say that the woodworking crowd is just about the friendliest bunch of guys and gals aside from the BBQ folks that you would ever want to be on a board with... And most of these folks I wouldn't mind meeting!

They will however get you into deep trouble money wise by giving you expensive ideas...

And I am guilty as sin of crossposting within a site mostly because I am an idiot and don't always remember, or can find what I originally posted...
                            Last edited by dbhost; 10-15-2008, 03:29 PM.
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • Chapel Hill, NC
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                              If you did not cross post I would not see your post as this is the only WW forum that I visit on a regular basis.
                              My feelings exactly.
                              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

Working...