Pests Rant

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • twistsol
    SawdustZone Patron
    • Dec 2002
    • 3122
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

    #1

    Pests Rant

    I realize that living in the country in Minnesota there will be issues with wildlife from time to time, but they all ganged up on me last night.

    The wheat field in front of the house was cut last week and plowed two days ago and there are a dozen or more fresh gopher mounds in my front yard.

    I spayed 6 bifold doors last night before bed and now have a couple of doors full of lacquered gnats.

    Caught our eighth mouse of the season this morning. I really need to find where they're coming in.

    On a happy note, the four bat houses we put up this spring really seemed to keep the mosquito population in check.
    Chr's
    __________
    An ethical man knows the right thing to do.
    A moral man does it.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • 10627
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #2
    Tell ya what - I killed 3 copperheads this spring. Next spring I will send them to you to help control those pests.
    David

    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

    Comment

    • cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • 15216
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

      #3
      Originally posted by twistsol

      On a happy note, the four bat houses we put up this spring really seemed to keep the mosquito population in check.

      The mosquitoes here keep the bat population in check.
      .

      Comment

      • Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • 7091
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

        #4
        Originally posted by twistsol
        I spayed 6 bifold doors last night...
        I'll bet they weren't happy about that...

        Comment

        • Kristofor
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2004
          • 1331
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

          #5
          Well, he only wanted 6, not 30 of them running arround....

          Comment

          • Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • 3152
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

            #6
            Hey Crockett, I know some people that'll give you money for nice copperhead skins......
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

            If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

            Comment

            • dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • 9560
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

              #7
              Originally posted by twistsol
              I realize that living in the country in Minnesota there will be issues with wildlife from time to time, but they all ganged up on me last night.
              Not just living in the country. My home backs up to a Bayou. Every time they mow the ditch the rats like to try to come into the house. I found their entry point and fixed that this spring, but, they will find another I am sure...
              The wheat field in front of the house was cut last week and plowed two days ago and there are a dozen or more fresh gopher mounds in my front yard.
              If you are far enough out in the boonies, sounds like good plinking practice to me!
              I spayed 6 bifold doors last night before bed and now have a couple of doors full of lacquered gnats.
              I'm not touching the fact that you spayed your doors... But getting bugs in the finish is no fun. It sounds like a thorough cleanup of your workshop, and then some sort of bug zapper or something similar might help. Just make sure the bug zapper isn't over your finishing table!

              Caught our eighth mouse of the season this morning. I really need to find where they're coming in.
              MUCH easier said than done. We get rats here from the Bayou, and they are biggies too. They got smart and started avoiding the traps, but they couldn't get to the rat poison quick enough. I wen to HD and bought some, tossed the bag in the shop, went back inside to do something, went back outside an hour later to set out the rat bait / poison. They had already gnawed through the bag and box... Two days later, not a rat to be found... Guess it worked better than I planned. They eat the poison, they get thirsty, the go back outside to get water from the Bayou, and die...

              On a happy note, the four bat houses we put up this spring really seemed to keep the mosquito population in check.
              I used to have bat houses in Tucson. I really need to put a few up here...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

              Comment

              Working...