• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

In the mid 60's I worked for Sears. They had a satisfaction guaranteed policy. The only person in the store that could say no to a customer, was the store manager. I worked for customer service and it was clear that our manager did not want to have to say no to any customer.

One guy, returned most everything he purchased, and asked for adjustments for anything he kept. Finally, he demanded payment for damage to his car. Seems someone in the auto center had told him no. This upset him so much that he forgot to set his handbrake and his car crashed into on of our fences, taking down 12' of chain link.

Finally, I got permission the pick up his Sears card and ask him to shop elsewhere.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by scmhogg
      Finally, I got permission the pick up his Sears card and ask him to shop elsewhere.
      Nobody had to get permission to take my Sears card. I gave it to 'em. They raised their interest rate back in the early 90's to like 22% when all other cards were dropping to somewhere around 4%. By that time, I had been a faithful customer for 20 years and never even had a late payment. Sticks in my craw to this day...

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Originally posted by radhak
        Good question - Jeffrey Schronce has not posted here since January. Anybody know what turned him off this site?
        He must have been sucked into the same vacuum that got Ken Massingale, Gwyneth, and others... Miss them all...

Comment

• Mark Smith
          Established Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Southwest CT

Don't know exactly what happened to Jeffrey but on another forum he was listing some of his woodworking equipment for sale. Lost the space he'd been using, or something like that.

Comment

• docrowan
            • Mar 2007
            • New Albany, MS
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
            Nobody had to get permission to take my Sears card. I gave it to 'em. They raised their interest rate back in the early 90's to like 22% when all other cards were dropping to somewhere around 4%. By that time, I had been a faithful customer for 20 years and never even had a late payment. Sticks in my craw to this day...
            I believe that around that time Sears began to make more money off their credit card business than they did the sale of their merchandise. As Dave Ramsey puts it, they became a credit card company with some stuff out front for sale.
            - Chris.

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Mark Smith
              Don't know exactly what happened to Jeffrey but on another forum he was listing some of his woodworking equipment for sale. Lost the space he'd been using, or something like that.
              funny - we talk about him (and Amazon), and it turns out today is Jeffrey's birthday (saw it on the front page here)!
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I bought some wood from Jeff two weekends ago. He said that his business has been crazy (insurance adjusting) and he was four days from making a move to Reading, PA, in order to be closer to the majority of his clients. He was selling off what he didn't need or didn't want any longer - including machinery. He sold me a beautiful lot of curly maple, birdseye maple, wormy maple, red oak, ash and sycamore at 50 cents on the dollar. He just couldn't move the massive load of wood he had stored in his garage. He didn't say why we haven't heard from him here but he sure is one busy man. Yea, I miss him here too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that he didn't lose his shop space - it was in his detached garage. I don't know what the new arrangement holds in store.
                Last edited by ironhat; 09-02-2008, 07:21 PM. Reason: see EDIT
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I get around to a few other forums that he posts on....I haven't been looking specifically for his posts, but now that you mention it I don't recall seeing anything from him at all. Hope all is well with him.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• tsbrewers
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by scmhogg
                    In the mid 60's I worked for Sears. They had a satisfaction guaranteed policy. The only person in the store that could say no to a customer, was the store manager. I worked for customer service and it was clear that our manager did not want to have to say no to any customer.

One guy, returned most everything he purchased, and asked for adjustments for anything he kept. Finally, he demanded payment for damage to his car. Seems someone in the auto center had told him no. This upset him so much that he forgot to set his handbrake and his car crashed into on of our fences, taking down 12' of chain link.

Steve

About 15 years ago I happened to be standing in our local Sears store when a customer was returning a lawn tractor since he wasn't satisfied. I will give Sears credit when they did take the return even though the tractor had to be 15 years old. Of course they did say he wasn't allowed in a Sears store ever again.

Unfortunately I had more than my fair share of poor CS experiences in Sears stores and have kicked myself out. I haven't stepped foot in one for at least 10 years.

Brew

Comment

• gerti
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

What do you expect from a company that sells dog fighting videos, and when emailed about it defends it with a "free speech" blurb? My wife and I have been avoiding them like the pest for years.

Comment

• jussi
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007

They also won't be accepting paper checks or money orders

Paper Checks and Money Orders

We will no longer be accepting paper checks or money orders beginning September 11, 2008. If you place an order with a paper check before September 11, your order will be processed as usual. Learn more about other payment methods we accept.
                        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• sbs
                          Established Member
                          • Mar 2005
                          • VA
                          • BT3.1k

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                          Way back when, I noticed that Amazon will list things at unrealistic prices then refuse to honor the price claiming it was made in Error. In any brick and mortar store if something similar happens they are required by law to honor the price advertised until they can advertise a correction.
                          Not true in any of the US states I've lived in. A quick google search suggests that it's not true in the rest of them either.

Comment

• cabinetman
                            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

What doesn't make sense is if they give a client a big "heave ho", "don't come back", why would they offer an "appeals email option"?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jussi
                              They also won't be accepting paper checks or money orders

Paper Checks and Money Orders

We will no longer be accepting paper checks or money orders beginning September 11, 2008. If you place an order with a paper check before September 11, your order will be processed as usual. Learn more about other payment methods we accept.

I guess beads and IOUs are out of the question, eh?

Originally posted by cabinetman
                              What doesn't make sense is if they give a client a big "heave ho", "don't come back", why would they offer an "appeals email option"?
                              In the US, if you get the death sentence, you get the automatic appeal.
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-03-2008, 07:06 AM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                                The Full Monte
                                • May 2007
                                • Sunshine State
                                • BT3000

Since the "appeal" is not with a neutral and objective party, the outcome is probably a forgone conclusion... The process is probably aimed more at heading off litigation, by offering up some token form of implied recourse to the banned buyers.

Comment

Working...