What would you do: Ignore it or do something?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

What would you do: Ignore it or do something?

There are all situations I've been in in the recent past... What would you do?

1) You see a contractor (HVAC, painting, moving, etc) sitting at a table with a couple of friends at the your workplace cafe. He has a hand-written sign on his back that says "for sale" or "will work for beer" or something else that leads you to believe that he didn't put the sign on his own back. Do you ignore it or say something?

2) You're walking down the street and see a guy that appears to be homeless and appears to be sleeping in a wheelchair. The wheelchair is in the middle of the sidewalk facing in the direciton of walking traffic (as opposed to backed up to a wall). As you pass, you can't tell if he's breathing just by looking at his chest. Do you walk on, try to wake him, examine him more closely (even if it requires touching him) to see if he's breathing?

3) You're waiting for you coffee order and you notice that there's a guy in line with his fly clearly open. Do you tell him?

4) You're in a meeting with some co-wokers. You're a guy. One female co-worker recently had a baby and is clearly leaking breast milk. What would you do?

5) You're riding on a bus and you notice that the woman sitting near you has something on her face. You can't tell if it's food or some other gunk, or if it's somehow attached. Do you tell her or ignore it?

6) You're riding on the bus during allergy season and you notice that someone else on the bus is sneezing a lot, rubbing his nose, etc. You can't tell if he has tissues, but you know that if you were in his shoes you'd want a tissue (or two or three). You have tissues, and even some over-the-counter allergy medicine. Do you offer either of them?

7) You're at a public restaurant with your young children and there's a group of guys at a nearby table who are using a lot of language that may be marginally appropriate in an adult conversation, but is not appropriate for your children. Yours are the only kids in the restaurant. What do you do?
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Now that I've asked the quesitons, I suppose it's only fair to say what I actually did.

1) (sign on back) Ignored it.

2) (guy in wheelchair) Nudged him, asking "Are you okay." He grunted and went back to sleep.

3) (fly down) Said quietly, "Dude, your fly is open."

4) (leaking milk) Stopped the meeting by suggesting that we all take a break, then whispered to her.

5) (somthing on face) Ignored it.

6) (allergies) Offered tissues, but not medicine.

7) (language at restaurant) Ignored it because it wasn't overly excessive or loud. I figured it could open the door to discussing with the kids how some language can be inappropriate.
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

1) (sign on back) Not my business, guys just having some fun.

2) (guy in wheelchair) Check to see if he's OK.

3) (fly down) I don't look at other guy's flys, so wouldn't have seen it.

4) (leaking milk) Discreetly mention it to her in private.

5) (somthing on face) Wouldn't point it out in public.

6) (allergies) Offered tissues only.

7) (language at restaurant) Quitely mention to them that there are children present and I would appreciate if they would watch their use of bad language.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

1) (sign on back) Check my back for signs.

2) (guy in wheelchair) Wake him up, asking if his name is Bob. Yeah, I'd look like a jerk, but we'd find out if he is okay.

3) (fly down) Call attention to the fact to guy with sign on back in #1, "hey, that guy's fly is open." Honestly, I probably wouldn't notice.

4) (leaking milk) I'd call a break, and have another woman (if possible) alert her.

5) (something on face) Probably stare at it (w/o intending to do so).

6) (allergies) Not assuming it was allergies. I'd probably get off of the bus.

7) (language at restaurant) I'm afraid they wouldn't be saying anything my kid's haven't heard me say. I'd probably ignore it unless it got real bad, at which time I'd probably say something like, "hey, you guys would make a sailor blush, now common with the language!"

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I would handle each as Rags did. Well, maybe not. The last one it depends on where we are. If I am at a sports bar or some place where kids don't normally go I probably would not say anything. If I am at McD's or other fast food place I would.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I've been in similar situations so I will respond...

1) You see a contractor (HVAC, painting, moving, etc) sitting at a table with a couple of friends at the your workplace cafe. He has a hand-written sign on his back that says "for sale" or "will work for beer" or something else that leads you to believe that he didn't put the sign on his own back. Do you ignore it or say something?

Take the sign off his back and joke about what kind of friends he has... Usually it is the same knuckle heads I know! My coworkers are almost to the last man pranksters...

2) You're walking down the street and see a guy that appears to be homeless and appears to be sleeping in a wheelchair. The wheelchair is in the middle of the sidewalk facing in the direciton of walking traffic (as opposed to backed up to a wall). As you pass, you can't tell if he's breathing just by looking at his chest. Do you walk on, try to wake him, examine him more closely (even if it requires touching him) to see if he's breathing?

Touch the guys shoulder and say "excuse me sir, are you okay?" I startled the heck out of the fellow. He was less than happy, but I know I did the right thing. (He was in the middle of the Parking lot of a now demolished hotel in my home town)

3) You're waiting for you coffee order and you notice that there's a guy in line with his fly clearly open. Do you tell him?

Quietly ask the guy if he feels an unneeded breeze in his shorts... A blush and a zip typically follow...

4) You're in a meeting with some co-wokers. You're a guy. One female co-worker recently had a baby and is clearly leaking breast milk. What would you do?

I have never been in this particular situation. Not sure what to say there. I would probably feign an important incoming call on my cell phone, and ask the group if anyone needed a break while I took the call... Depends on the situation...

5) You're riding on a bus and you notice that the woman sitting near you has something on her face. You can't tell if it's food or some other gunk, or if it's somehow attached. Do you tell her or ignore it?

Ignore it.

6) You're riding on the bus during allergy season and you notice that someone else on the bus is sneezing a lot, rubbing his nose, etc. You can't tell if he has tissues, but you know that if you were in his shoes you'd want a tissue (or two or three). You have tissues, and even some over-the-counter allergy medicine. Do you offer either of them?

Offer tissues. Not medication, for fear of law suits...

7) You're at a public restaurant with your young children and there's a group of guys at a nearby table who are using a lot of language that may be marginally appropriate in an adult conversation, but is not appropriate for your children. Yours are the only kids in the restaurant. What do you do?[/QUOTE]

Public place? They have a right to be there and they have the 1st ammendment. Not going to be able to stop stupidity, so either deal with it, or leave... If it is loud & rowdy I would leave and make sure the restaurant manager was aware of why I was leaving... Then again, in this day and age they might be glad to be rid of an old school family type guy...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
              Bandsaw Box Momma
              • Apr 2005
              • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

The answer to #3 for me is its usually someone intoxicated and I can have fun with it. Had a kid a while back who had his fly unzipped and everyone was laughing at him and it was his friends mostly. He made the comment about why everyone was laughing at him and I looked at him and said in a low voice that maybe it was because his fly was undone and his smiley face boxers were showing.
              Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Mrs. Wallnut
                The answer to #3 for me is its usually someone intoxicated and I can have fun with it. Had a kid a while back who had his fly unzipped and everyone was laughing at him and it was his friends mostly. He made the comment about why everyone was laughing at him and I looked at him and said in a low voice that maybe it was because his fly was undone and his smiley face boxers were showing.
                ohhhh, what if that smiley face wasn't his boxers?
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Otter
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Cumming, GA, USA.
                  • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

Ohhhh a quiz, I love tests.....

****(the following is meant a bad humor and should not be taken as anything other than sick off center humor)****

1) Shoot Him
                  2) Shoot Him
                  3) Shoot Him
                  4) See a lawyer, I am offended by pro-creation
                  5) Shoot Her
                  6) Shoot Him
                  7) Buy the kids a round, can't hear if they are passed out.

Did I pass????

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• Hellrazor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Abyss, PA
                    • Ridgid R4512

Nobody would like my answers...

Comment

• Alex Franke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Chapel Hill, NC
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Otter
                      1) Shoot Him
                      2) Shoot Him
                      3) Shoot Him
                      4) See a lawyer, I am offended by pro-creation
                      5) Shoot Her
                      6) Shoot Him
                      7) Buy the kids a round, can't hear if they are passed out.

Did I pass????
                      Good grief, Otter. With all due respect, you are clearly misguided here. The restaurant did not serve alcohol, and even if it did, my kids can handle at least three rounds each -- can't yours???

Other than that, the only thing I found ***really*** offensive about your post is your gratuitous use of the asterisk character. It's not as if those characters are just free, you know. Sheesh...

Let's see.... 14 more and I hit 1,000.
                      Last edited by Alex Franke; 07-10-2008, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

I don't have good luck out in public...I really don't. As we all know, I usually say things that brings on a huge confrontation. Actually I like confrontations...breaks up the monotony.

Anyway, did I ever tell ya-all 'bout the time I was in a check out line at the G/store and was behind a little old lady. I was hesitant to say anything, but I knew if push came to shove I could take her easy. Anyway, I whispered over her shoulder while she was placing her Depends on the moving belt and told her that her stockings were wrinkled. She turned around with a wild look on her face and said she wasn't wearing any.

Comment

• rjwaldren
                          Established Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Fresno, CA

Originally posted by cabinetman
                          Anyway, I whispered over her shoulder while she was placing her Depends on the moving belt and told her that her stockings were wrinkled. She turned around with a wild look on her face and said she wasn't wearing any.
                          That's awesome!!!

Seriously it's hard to tell whether or not it's worth saying something these days. If I'm in line or waiting with a group I'll use the international hand signals for "somethings on your face" or "check the barn door" - if just passing by I'd let it go.

For the rude table, I've moved before, but I'm unlikely to say anything. Too many times it just makes the situation worse. Unfortunately I'm usually at the rude table, I have a few close friends that I rarely see, but when I do it's usually at a pizza parlor with decent prices on good pitchers of beer. It usually gets off color pretty quick, I've found that lower my voice often lowers the volume of the others.
                          Last edited by rjwaldren; 07-10-2008, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by rjwaldren
                            That's awesome!!!

Seriously it's hard to tell whether or not it's worth saying something these days. If I'm in line or waiting with a group I'll use the international hand signals for "somethings on your face" or "check the barn door" - if just passing by I'd let it go.

For the rude table, I've moved before, but I'm unlikely to say anything. Too many times it just makes the situation worse. Unfortunately I'm usually at the rude table, I have a few close friends that I rarely see, but when I do it's usually at a pizza parlor with decent prices on good pitchers of beer. It usually gets off color pretty quick, I've found that lower my voice often lowers the volume of the others.

If there's a table of beerdrinking rowdies they are probably having a testosterone tossing competition so telling them off will probably provoke a louder, ruder comment as they try to impress each other with how tough they can be to a wimp with three small kids. Best just to leave them alone.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Sorta' related to #2 and #3.

I worked in Philly after college graduation. I took the PATCO train from Philly
                              to home in Jersey. One hot summer day I was going down the steps to the
                              train and I saw a man struggling up the stairs against the crowd going down.
                              He looked ragged and had a brown paper grocery bag in one arm. He paused
                              mid way and leaned into the corner letting out some heavy sighs. I couldn't
                              tell if he was missing an arm.

I got out of line and asked him, "Do you need help with that?" He looked up
                              almost with an embarrassed look on his face and said, "I think I got it, but thanks." Then I realized he was struggling to undo his zipper with the free
                              hand I couldn't see...because he was urinating.

I'm glad he didn't say, "Sure!"

True story!

Comment

Working...