X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

Anyone using Firefox 3 yet?

I have been using it for a little bit now and though I have not toyed with all the new fun bits I certainly like it better. It is a LOT snappier even without FasterFox support yet. I doubt I will need to get into about:config to spruce things up. I am certainly amazed with how quickly it renders pages and having a ton of tabs open does not seem to slow it down the way it did in Version 2.
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"
  • MilDoc

Thanks for the brief review! Gotta try it now.....

Comment

• jonmulzer
      • Dec 2007
      • Indianapolis, IN

Here is a more in depth review.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Firefox-...view-1099.html

If you were interested anyway.
      "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• MilDoc

Done. And i AM impressed! Installed w/o problems (wish MS stuff was that good) and much faster! Gotta wait 'till tomorrow to look into everything new.

Thanks!

Comment

• jonmulzer
          • Dec 2007
          • Indianapolis, IN

No problem. I was impressed also because the last few upgrades were not as noticeable but this time things are so much quicker. I even opened up a ton of tabs and it stayed as responsive. No slowdowns like before.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

It still won't load gmail for me. On multiple systems. That is why I stopped using Firefox. Too many annoyances like this.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jonmulzer
              • Dec 2007
              • Indianapolis, IN

Odd, I have used Firefox since beta and I have not had an issue with gmail since gmail came out. In fact, the only time I switch back to IE is when a webpage depends on ActiveX controls and recently that has only been for updating Windows.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Never mind my last post... No it isn't an rpm, but it IS a pre-compiled binary for Linux... I just dropped it into my path and voila! I have Firefox 3 up and running on CentOS. Now if only I could get the package updater to ignore the fact that I am NOT using the out of the box OpenOffice I would be in good shape!
                Last edited by dbhost; 06-19-2008, 10:40 PM.
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

I tend to work with as many as 40 tabs open at a time and my big beef with version 2 was how much memory it ate up. Version 3 is much better about using memory efficiently and it is quite a bit faster.

What's IE?

Comment

• rjwaldren
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Fresno, CA

I've been using it since beta2... It's snappy, there were a few problems I noticed early on, but they're either resolved or I just learn to work around them.

I use it with iGoogle, gMail, gReader, etc with out issues...

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by crokett
                      It still won't load gmail for me. On multiple systems. That is why I stopped using Firefox. Too many annoyances like this.
                      Opera refused to load groupwise remotely for 2 revisions out of 4 too. Companies put stupid crap in the code and then it will only work for a certain browser.

Comment

• RayintheUK
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2003
                        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know they'd brought out version 3. I find it considerably quicker too.

I've also downloaded Apple's Safari browser on my PC - that's got quite a nice interface, but not as quick IMO as Firefox 3.

Ray.
                        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Whaler
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Sequim, WA, USA.
                          • DW746

I have been trying to upgrade this morning but the download won't start for me. Mac OS X 10.5.3.

I quit Firefox 2 and opened Safari and was able to make the download, looks good so far.
                          Last edited by Whaler; 06-20-2008, 09:03 AM.
                          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• jziegler
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2005
                            • Salem, NJ, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I've been using it since the final beta, through the RC series. Works great, but some extensions aren't supported. It added color management support, which is great for viewing photos on my calibrated monitor. I'm not crazy about the default theme, but it's growing on me. Overall, a nice package.

For David, I'm surprised that you have trouble with gmail on it. On my home PC, I have things working so well with gmail that a little extension allows both myself and my wife to be logged in at the same time. Now, at work, I can't use the garbage Oracle apps we have on Firefox, but that's a different story.

Jim

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Ok... so I uninstalled Firefox and deleted the directory, then reinstalled and told it to only import bookmarks and cookies from IE. No cache, no history, etc. Now it is working fine. The only thing I wish Firefox had was a prompt option on cookies - you can either accept all or accept only what you want.
                              Last edited by crokett; 06-20-2008, 11:52 AM.
                              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...