• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newood2
    • Aug 2004
    • Brooklyn, NY.
    • BT3100-1

Would you buy this mower?

Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a gas mower than this cordless?
    http://www.amazon.com/High-Output-36...39KNFR9TBQTG4R
    Or maybe not, with the price of gas going up.
    I haven't found any reviews on this, but I'd love to test drive one.
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

I like how the lady is mowing in a skirt and flipflops. Seems real smart to me.

Comment

• mclear6
      Established Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Northern NJ

That's the first thing I thought... mowing in flip flops???? Have fun with green feet.

I know my uncle was talking this weekend that he has the grasshog from balck and decker. He said it comes with 2 batteries and loves it.

He used to have a tractor for a large property but has down sized to a smaller house and lot. He was really impressed with his electric mower. I think he said he got it at HD for $100 or so.

Comment

• jziegler
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2005
        • Salem, NJ, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

No, I wouldn't buy that one, but it's because I'm happy with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Lawn-...3707266&sr=1-6

No gas to use, no cord to deal with, no batteries to charge, just push it and mow. Very low maintenance (just sharpen the blades every few years).Works great for my small town lot. Plus, it's better for my grass allergy. I don't come in from mowing sneezing for an hour with it.

For people with large yards, gas is probably the best way to go. For smaller yards, electric or push reel mowers are the way to go.

Jim

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

I've been thinking of getting a rechargeable mower.

Right now I have a five or so year old Lawn Boy 2-stroke.

I like the Lawn Boy for the large capacity rear-bagger for fall (great for picking up leaves on my small lot).

But I didn't realize when I purchased the unit what an absolutely piece of garbage the newer LB engines are.

Right after the two-year warranty expired, I had to replace the needle valve and float. The following year I had to replace the coil. This last weekend I had to fix the carb. as a spring that controls the throttle had broken.

It has a plastic carb. that, when you tighten to the block, distorts to the point that it doesn't work correctly.

It has gotten to the point that if it gives me any more grief I'm replacing it w/ a rechargeable.

I like to buy "made in U.S.A." where possible. The LB (including the engine) are made here. Problem is, I think the LB is substantially less reliable than anything made in China. Those engineers should be beaten.

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

I had considered something like that when I bought my Toro gas run mower. But I have 1/2 acre, and at that time they wouldn't cut it without being recharged.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• dkerfoot
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Holland, Michigan
              • Craftsman 21829

I own a Ryobi "Mulchinator." It is a 24 volt cordless rechargeable. I got it at a good price when my BIL worked for Ryobi. (He was "Director of Power Tools" - Has there ever been a better job title in the history of the world?)

I loved using it. It sounds like a fan in operation. In fact, the sound more than doubles when you move from the sidewalk to the grass. The grass being cut is actually louder than the mower itself!

It also did a wonderful job of mulching the grass. It is in storage because just when the battery started to lose charge, I got married and my bride had a mower. My oldest son informed me he would rather use the gas mower.

My Mulchinator is a bit heavier than the gas mower and is about 2 inches narrower. It does a great job of cutting grass, unless it has gotten too long and/or is damp. The 5 HP gas mower will definitely plow through more difficult conditions than the battery powered mower.

A replacement battery runs a little over $100. I am contemplating bringing it back into service.
              Doug Kerfoot
              "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
              KeyLlama.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

I bought the B&D corded Lawn Hog. My shop is also my garage/lawn storage
                so I didn't want to smell gasoline when working in there. The cord can be a
                pain but I've worked out a path that works for me. I didn't trust that the
                batteries would last long enough.

2 years later still cutting my 1/3 acre just fine.

Paul

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                  • One of them there Toy saws

considering it cost me $10 in gas to mow this past weekend (okay some is still in the tank, but a little over two gallons to fill up) I'm kinda missing the Black and Decker Electric I gave away a couple years ago. It had a cord which is limiting, but heh, it was quiet.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• germdoc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Omaha, NE
                    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by dkerfoot
                    It is in storage because just when the battery started to lose charge, I got married and my bride had a mower.
                    I think you're a little mixed up. Usually, the lady marries you BECAUSE of your mower. It's only a few years after marriage that the battery starts to lose its charge....then she looks for a guy with a bigger, more powerful mower....

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• RAFlorida
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                      • Ryobi BT3000

If I had a small yard, yeah I'd buy one.

But with the six acres, it'd never get the yard cut!!! lol

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by RAFlorida
                        But with the six acres, it'd never get the yard cut!!! lol

I don't know about you "Central" guys, but down here, mine needs cutting about every 4 days during this time of year. Cords or batteries wouldn't cut it.

Comment

• RAFlorida
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Yes, you're right about every 4 days or so.

Right now we're getting very little rain and the grass is brown. If we get a TS or worst, then that 4 days turns into a twice weekly cut.... I've noticed that you guys are getting more wet stuff than we are. And there's no way a battery or corded mower will take that kind of punishment.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2003
                            • Maryland
                            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm roughly on a one week cutting cycle. I should probably be at 5 days but
                            a guy's gotta' work. I cut at the 2nd to highest setting on my electric and
                            I probably walk at the same speed as I would with my parents' gas mower.
                            No problems.

I cut high to give myself that false sense of security that I'm choking out my
                            weeds.

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

To heck with an electric, I think these folks have the right idea.

All kinds of benefits. Mows the lawn, produces milk, creates copies of itself, and once that usefulness is done, makes for some nice BBQ and leather goods.

Okay, in all seriousness. I don't think an electric mower would put up with how fast, and think the St. Augustine grass around here grows...

I am on your typical suburban 1/4" acre lot, which is WAY too much for me to mow with a scroll mower, so instead I use one of these...

Okay the older green version, and the bigger engine...

Mine is a 6HP Briggs & Stratton engine mulching high wheel with rear bag, or side discharge Craftsman mower. I bought it new about 6 years ago. The throttle cable is starting to stick. I figure it is time to clean it up, change the oil, replace the cable, and lube the heck out of everything and run it for another 6 or 7 years before doing it again...
                              Last edited by dbhost; 06-17-2008, 11:08 AM.
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...