• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I try to remember that personal style (or lack thereof) is just somebody making a statement. Unfortunately, that statement often is "I'm an idiot...".

Problem with voicing your disapproval is that it often leads the offensive clod to escalate his feeling of entitlement. It just ain't worth it, so I tend to let it go...

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

I am reminded of a story, true on in fact, that happened in the early 80's. There once was a bank in my state named Old National Bank of Wahington (ONB) with a main brnach in Spokane, Wa. A city which was mostly dependent on agriculture. One day a farmer arrived at the bank to cash a check in his field clothes and the teller made a few belittling remarks. The customer promptly walked over to the manager and closed his account. Several million dollars worth. The teller lost his job.

Ever since reading of this in the local paper I've cared less what others wearbut am mindful of how I dress. When my company forced me to commute to the corp HQ a couple years ago I left an office that had a real informal dress code to one that required business casual. About one month after buying a new wardrobe the HQ changed the dress code to include jeans and athletic shoes. To my way of thinking a clean and neat appearance expresses a persons respect for themself. Even with very casual attire it is possible to be neat and clean.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

A long time ago I stopped worrying about what other people do, so long as it doesn't neatively affect the quality of my life. I am a lot happier for it. If he wants to wear a tanktop to the dentist, so what? Does it really matter? There are people here at work who walk around in shorts and t-shirts. More power to 'em. I've found that the way you dress for something largely reflects your attitude towards it. If they don't care enough to dress properly, chances are they don't care about their job and that means my raise is a larger one.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Gator95
          Established Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Atlanta GA
          • Ridgid 3660

I really don't care what people wear as long as they don't smell or sit too close to me.

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
            If confronted with such things in the future, try a page from my book. Just smile at them and think how bad he or she will feel about it in 25 years.
            That's my philosophy — you aren't going to change their minds, so why sweat something you can't do anything about.

We went to see a movie last weekend and the guy behind the concession counter had inch-diameter wood plugs in his ear lobes. Last time I saw something like that was an old copy of National Geographic. I chuckled and said to LOML, "Wonder what he's going to feel abouth those when he's 40?"
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp
              How is this for Dress? I got this off of this forum a few years ago! Love it! BTW, my sister in law is named the same as the one in the article.

That's really funny Hank. I'll bet Debbie was a blonde.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

When I see the baggy pants on a guy, I always want to go over and pick them up by the top of their pants - pull them up around their nose. I don't do it but if it was my son....

My wife is a teacher and about a month ago they had some excitement at her school. A couple kids from the alternate school skipped, went to the Radio Shack and decided to rob it, took off running (they had no car) and ran onto the school grounds where she works. Their pants were so baggy they had to run holding onto them so they dropped what they stole and were caught by the middle aged store manager and a security guard. Then the police showed up and one of the robbers tripped on his pants and the police got him. They got the other one a few steps away.

Not a bright idea to steal, even worse to do it dressed so stupidly. They were at the alternative school mainly for making bad choces. Now they've made their situation worse.

I wonder about the parents that let their kids dress this way. I was fortunate that LOML did a good job with our children and God blessed us with good kids but they still wanted to dress inappropriately at times. I think a lot of parents are overly concerned about being buddies with their children. Parents are supposed to develop reasonable boundries and stick to them. Kids may throw a fit but that just proves they are immature - they get over it. With different kids, we might not have been able to set the boundries we did but I think a lot of parents need to work at this more than a bit harder.

Jim

Comment

• mdutch
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Dallas, TX, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                  I broke off the side of a molar and had to go to my dentist yesterday. That kind of stuff always happens to me on a Friday night. Anyway, yesterday I was sitting in the waiting room and there was a guy there filling out all the paperwork, so I assumed it was his first visit. He was wearing a white undershirt, with the open shoulders (not even a "T" shirt), and the baggy way below the waist and knees shorts, and flip flops..
                  That was YOU?? Man I was wondering why you kept staring.... LMAO....

I'm past 55 and it's my fratty son who dresses "conservatively" 'round here.
                  My patron saints are Ben & Jerry. Oh yeah, and the Big Lebowski.
                  Dutch·man Pronunciation (dchmn)n.
                  3. Something used to conceal faulty construction.
                  Another DFW BT3'er!

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

One of the great pleasures of my life was the day my oldest was in the truck with me and remarked, "Would you look at the way that kid is dressed?" Took him a few minutes to realized what he had said. A couple of years before, he WAS that kid!
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• germdoc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Omaha, NE
                      • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by BobSch
                      We went to see a movie last weekend and the guy behind the concession counter had inch-diameter wood plugs in his ear lobes. Last time I saw something like that was an old copy of National Geographic. I chuckled and said to LOML, "Wonder what he's going to feel abouth those when he's 40?"
                      Depends if he gets termites or spalting...
                      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                        Bandsaw Box Momma
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Originally posted by crokett
                        A long time ago I stopped worrying about what other people do, so long as it doesn't neatively affect the quality of my life. I am a lot happier for it. If he wants to wear a tanktop to the dentist, so what? Does it really matter? There are people here at work who walk around in shorts and t-shirts. More power to 'em. I've found that the way you dress for something largely reflects your attitude towards it. If they don't care enough to dress properly, chances are they don't care about their job and that means my raise is a larger one.

I feel this way too. But I do have to say shorts in the place I work is a lifesaver for me. Around here it gets to hot out and I work nights and I get very warm with all the cleaning I do so i do wear shorts and my work polo shirt and my required apron for work. I also make sure that every thing is clean and neat and my legs are shaved and they don't look like bigfoots legs.
                        Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• moc
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Apr 2006
                          • st. louis
                          • bt3100 (Now out of box!)

Originally posted by mdutch
                          My patron saints are Ben & Jerry. Oh yeah, and the Big Lebowski.
                          The Dude abides.

*moc

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                            I am reminded of a story, true on in fact, that happened in the early 80's. There once was a bank in my state named Old National Bank of Wahington (ONB) with a main brnach in Spokane, Wa. A city which was mostly dependent on agriculture. One day a farmer arrived at the bank to cash a check in his field clothes and the teller made a few belittling remarks. The customer promptly walked over to the manager and closed his account. Several million dollars worth. The teller lost his job.

Ever since reading of this in the local paper I've cared less what others wearbut am mindful of how I dress. When my company forced me to commute to the corp HQ a couple years ago I left an office that had a real informal dress code to one that required business casual. About one month after buying a new wardrobe the HQ changed the dress code to include jeans and athletic shoes. To my way of thinking a clean and neat appearance expresses a persons respect for themself. Even with very casual attire it is possible to be neat and clean.
                            With the exception of the "celebraties" (mostly athletes), whose garages would hold my HOUSE, most people who actually have money, that I know, couldn't be told apart, from those that scratch and scrape to make their living.

The ones that want to appear they have money, have large mortgages, car payments, credit card debt, etc.

There are exceptions to every rule, and I know a few of them too (status, and occupation as required).
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• jonmulzer
                              • Dec 2007
                              • Indianapolis, IN

Read "The Millionaire Mind" and "The Millionaire Next Door", both by Thomas J. Stanley sometime. It will make you look at people quite differently. A friend of mine who works in banking told me about them. Occasionally he would have to fill in for tellers (he is the type to do whatever is needed, not just "his job") and he said the people who come into his bank dressed in $5K suits and driving a Mercedes typically have almost no savings and such while those who are wealthy dress very normal and are VERY nice. Those who come into his bank acting self-important and obnoxious usually have one thing in common, high incomes and high debt loads. It also never ceases to amaze him on the people who come in dressed a little slouchy with six figures in savings.
                              "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• germdoc
                                Veteran Member
                                • Nov 2003
                                • Omaha, NE
                                • BT3000--the gray ghost

If I were a multimillionaire I'd dress unostentatiously too.

God, could you see fit to give me the opportunity to act humble in spite of my wealth? Please??
                                Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

Working...