• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A Matter Of Decency

I broke off the side of a molar and had to go to my dentist yesterday. That kind of stuff always happens to me on a Friday night. Anyway, yesterday I was sitting in the waiting room and there was a guy there filling out all the paperwork, so I assumed it was his first visit. He was wearing a white undershirt, with the open shoulders (not even a "T" shirt), and the baggy way below the waist and knees shorts, and flip flops.

I sat there just wanting to say something about his choice of attire when going to a professional. But, I'm also thinking I didn't have the time for a few rounds in the parking lot.

I also get unnerved when I see this attire in public, like at a mall, or grocery store. The desire is overwhelming to say "Can't you find something better to wear?", or "Can't you buy clothes that fit?"

To me beach garb belongs on the beach. I don't buy the theory that it's the "wave" now in the dress code. It seems more like a lack of respect and borders on levels of decency.

Any thoughts?
  • softop41
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Plainfield, IL, USA.
    • BT3100-1

C-Man
    I couldn't agree more!
    Jerry
    Jerry
    Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• jhart
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Well said C-man.
      Joe
      "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

This kind of thing used to bug me some, but now I have changed my attitude about it. I try to worry less about other peoples personal choices. This eases my stress level. Most of the time I choose to look at the humorous side of these type things. As I look back on photo's of my youth and ask myself "How could I have worn such get up?", so too will these folks at some point if they make it long enough.
        It is disrespectful certainly, but I think it is more a matter of ignorance than anything else. They may not have been raised to respect others. Is that totally their fault? That is debatable.
        If confronted with such things in the future, try a page from my book. Just smile at them and think how bad he or she will feel about it in 25 years.
        Lee

Comment

• RayintheUK
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
          He was wearing a white undershirt, with the open shoulders (not even a "T" shirt), and the baggy way below the waist and knees shorts, and flip flops.
          Over here it's just as likely that would be the dentist! OK, a slight exaggeration, but only slight - at the practice where my wife and I go, the boss wears khaki shorts, a "T" shirt and sandals in his surgery all year round. He's not our dentist, so it doesn't affect us directly, but it sure doesn't look right.

Hope your tooth's OK now, Mike.

Ray.
          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by RayintheUK
            Over here it's just as likely that would be the dentist! OK, a slight exaggeration, but only slight - at the practice where my wife and I go, the boss wears khaki shorts, a "T" shirt and sandals in his surgery all year round. He's not our dentist, so it doesn't affect us directly, but it sure doesn't look right.

Hope your tooth's OK now, Mike.

Ray.

Thanks for asking. I'm heading there again today for a crown. Big $'s just to chew. I'll bet you had a chuckle (to yourself of course) about the dentist's outfit. BTW, LOML and I call stuff worn outside..."outfits", and stuff worn inside..."infits". They are in no way similar. In fact, "infits" can consist of really not much at all.

But my aversion to what's worn as "outfits" makes me wonder if people look at themselves before leaving their house.

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Many years ago I was waiting for a flight from Fort Lauderdale to somewhere a bit chillier. A couple in the gate lounge were dressed in swim suits - trunks for the guy and a two-piece for his female companion. the flight was on a L-1011, which was notorious for cooling the cabin to freezer temperature on takeoff.

I've been known to wear jeans on occasion when flying commercial, but that's as far as I'll typically dress down. I don't wear suits much any more on the rare occasions when I have to visit clients, but I do dress business casual.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                Bandsaw Box Momma
                • Apr 2005
                • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

I have learned that some young people these days dress to be different. Well at least that is an observation from someone who works the graveyard shift at a 7-11. I have many younger people coming in and wearing ripped jeans and flip flops and torn shirts for the guys and some of the girls and then most of the young girls are wearing WAY to revealing shirts and then wonder why some young guy is staring at their chest.

I feel the way Lee does about this kind of thing, they will look back and wonder why they dressed like that. I know that I have looked back at some of my pictures and wondered how I could have worn leg warmers or worn my hair, which was long at the time, stiff as a board from hair spray and sticking straight out, think the 80's.
                Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• germdoc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Omaha, NE
                  • BT3000--the gray ghost

I'm pretty old-fashioned. I don't mind hard-working farmers coming in to see me fresh from the field with dirt and "stuff" on their boots, but otherwise I feel folks should be a little more formal.

I do get a little uptight when patients wear things that are not appropriate, like T-shirts with suggestive sayings or low-riding jeans with thongs showing or low-cut blouses. (Makes it hard for me to concentrate!)

A family doc a long time ago advised me to dress "just a little bit better than your patients". So I ditched the coat and tie--too stuffy and formal--but wear khakis, nice shirts and shoes--no sandals--when I see patients. On weekends I do go with jeans...
                  Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

How is this for Dress? I got this off of this forum a few years ago! Love it! BTW, my sister in law is named the same as the one in the article.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Schleeper
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2008

C-man, you must have had a cow the first time you saw a girl wearing her undies as outies. Of course, now we're just thankful when they wear them at all!

Every generation goes through this. The jeans girls were wearing a year or two ago (necessitating a bikini wax in front, but providing a place to hold your pencil in back) seemed pretty extreme, until you remember the hot pants worn in 1970.

I think we were forced to abandon our ultra-casual ways when we first entered the job market. That still happens to some extent today, but not to the same degree. There are plenty of employers that don't care what their employees wear, and those that do often have "casual Fridays." There's even a growing segment of the workforce - those that telecommute - that don't have to wear anything at all!

The workplace isn't the only place where suitability standards have become more relaxed. When was the last time you went out to eat at a place that required a jacket? These days, if you're wearing a shirt, have something on your feet, and have paper or plastic in your wallet, you're welcome. And remember when folks used to dress for church even when it wasn't Easter?

When I was going through my "Dress for Success - NOT!" period, those are two things I never envisioned myself complaining about: inappropriate attire, and girls going commando.
                      Last edited by Schleeper; 05-28-2008, 10:39 AM. Reason: word omitted
                      "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

Yep, every generation has their own thing. It doesn't bother me unless I see someone my age wearing that kind of stuff.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Independence, MO, USA.
                          • bt3100

It used to bother me about the baggy pants/shorts that wouldn't stay up, NOT ANYMORE!

After seeing a few people try to run away from the police, get caught because of them (and their own stupidity), I see them and just think, suspect. LOL

I do have friends in security at some different facilities, and guess who they watch (more room to stuff, stuff).
                          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

I get a big laugh every day from watching the "gangsta" wanna-bes walking down the hall holding their pants up by the crotch. The REAL gangstas dress a little better.

The girls aren't as bad in my school, probably because it's close to freezing in here spring and fall, and 90+ in the winter.

From my hallway-between-classes observations, it looks like the ultra-big pants/cropped tops/lowrider jeans fashion is starting to go out of style. Back in my day it was a big deal when the school allowed jeans, but we still had to wear a shirt with a collar.

g.
                            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                            Bill & Ted

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by Schleeper

When I was going through my "Dress for Success - NOT!" period, those are two things I never envisioned myself complaining about: inappropriate attire, and girls going commando.

That brings back some memories. During military conflict a woman in camos and combat boots does have a certain appeal.

Comment

Working...