• Show
Clear All
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

7 Passenger Vehicle Recommendations

We're downsizing from a Ford 15-passenger Clubwagon (minibus) to 7-8 passenger vehicle.... likely to a minivan or possibly a crossover. Gas mileage, reliability, and value are some of the more important aspects to us, and not necessarily in that order. The Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, and Kia Sedona/Hyundai Entourage seem to be the leading candidates at this point. We've looked at '06 to '08 models so far.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments.... good or bad. Thanks!
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.
  • bfrikken
    • Apr 2005
    • Michigan, USA.
    • BT-3100

We have the Saturn outlook and really like it. On a recent trip across state, we got ~21MPG. I've seen a few good reveiws about it too. I know some don't care for Consumer Reports, but they gave it good marks in 2007: http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly...ps-70719.shtml

Just a great looking vehicle, roomy and drives real nice.

Comment

• dkerfoot
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Holland, Michigan
      • Craftsman 21829

Perhaps not the direction you are looking, but we have loved our Chrysler Town & Country. Seats 7 very comfortably. We bought it used with 40k miles and now it is up around 160k. The only problems we have had is a heater control gizmo and the radio both had to be replaced at about 150k.

Gas mileage is not great, but it is a very, very nice ride.
      Doug Kerfoot
      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

My sil has an Outlook and likes it alot

Originally posted by bfrikken
        We have the Saturn outlook and really like it. On a recent trip across state, we got ~21MPG. I've seen a few good reveiws about it too. I know some don't care for Consumer Reports, but they gave it good marks in 2007: http://www.chathamjournal.com/weekly...ps-70719.shtml

Just a great looking vehicle, roomy and drives real nice.
        As Bfrikken stated above, the Saturn Outlook is a great vehicle with good mpg. My sil gets around 21-23 mpg and that's why they bought it.

Comment

• germdoc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Omaha, NE
          • BT3000--the gray ghost

My .02. I've had a few Chrysler/Plymouth minivans--last one transmission died at 140K. We had a Ford Windstar that caught fire with about 120,000 miles on the mileage gauge.

My last minivan was a Honda Odyssey that I had no problems with whatsoever--very well designed vehicle that got something over 20 mpg. Only problem was my BIL, who hit a deer with it and did $3000 damage.

If I were in the market now I'd get a Honda or Toyota. You can't beat their reliability and design.
          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

We have a Satrun Vue and like it alot, the outlook would likely be similar.

You may want to also look at the Dodge Journey (supposed to have class leading milage). Chrysler has an unlimited powertrain warranty and the gas deal running right now, that may easy some concerns.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• final_t
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003

I just replaced my 15 year old Dodge caravan with the 2008 version. Very nice upgrade, will seat 7 total (2+2+3). Gas millage on the highway was getting about 24-25ish with it fully loaded on a 90 mile trip.
              I've heard good things about the Honda and the Kia vans also.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

i've had a 1998 Dodge grand caravan - very comfortable ride for all. drives very nicely, more like a car compared to your 15-psgr van which probably drives like a truck. The extra size of the grand version of the dodge/chrysler puts some luggage space in it that the 7-psgr non-stretch version (and the competition) just doesn't have. You can actually take 6 people on an overnight to weeklong trip with their luggage. Look at any non-stretch van and the back seat leans a bit, probably 12" luggage space tapering to 3 or 4" at the top of the seat in the very back, maybe room for one suitcase, handle up. In the Grand Caravan, there's about 24" of space behind the top of the back seat, room to put 5-6 suitcases side by side with the handles pointing out the back.

And the new Dodges/Chryslers have the fold flat 2nd and 3rd row seating - wow, that's great, because wrestling seats out of the van then finding a place to store (and maybe makeing a trip back to pick them up later) them is a headache. Lots of cargo room with the seats put away.

minuses -
                Chrysler (in the 90's anyway) seemed to have a lot of transmission issues but i've had no problem with mine - no drivetrain problems.
                number of minor issues with intermittent and failing electrical stuff - annoying
                Gas mileage is so-so, trip last weekend at around 70 mph, 20.5 mpg. City around 17.5 mpg, I don't think the current 2008 models do much better from the specs, same as my 1998 basically.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-23-2008, 03:20 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

I have the least espensive Dodge Caravan. No electrical locks/windows. 4-cyclinder, in fact. I get about 20MPG for mixed use city/highway. Mine is a 2001, and I'm ready to replace it with a new one that has fold-away seats.

I'm happy with the reliability. I replaced a starter. Tires/brakes, of course. I had a little suspension work done when some brakes were replaced, but it turns out the guy doing the brake work was an idiot and a liar (didn't use OEM parts and the slap I was hearing was a new brake caliper I wouldn't have heard if he used OEM).

But very happy with the car.

Comment

• mschrank
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • Hood River, OR, USA.
                    • BT3000

We have an '06 Toyota Sienna XLE. We've been very happy with it, no problems whatsoever going on 2-1/2 years. The main reason for choosing the Sienna is that it was the only mini-van available with AWD at the time (still true today, I think). We don't usually get a lot of snow here, but we get a little every year. Without AWD or 4WD, we can't get up our long driveway.

But the AWD does have it's cons: 18 mpg average, and it came with run-flat tires and no spare. We've already had to replace the tires...mostly due to me not keeping the pressure correct and not rotating. Run-flats are not cheap, have a harsh ride, and don't contribute to good mpg. But it's the wife's car/kid hauler, so it's also good peace of mind.

One nice thing about the newer mini-vans: most of them have remote controlled side & rear doors. Really a nice luxury with little kids and armloads of groceries.
                    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

We have a 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager (Dodge Grand Caravan). The extra space behind the back seat is very nice. 140k miles and no problems other than what you expect a car with 140k miles to have. My wife wants to replace it with a Honda or Toyota next year. I am not sure about that because I don't want to give up the space, may try to talk her into a Grand Caravan. The only thing I don't like is no fold-flat seats. The seats are very heavy to take out. My parents have a 2007 Chrysler with fold-flat seats and that is much more convenient.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Knottscott
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Rochester, NY.
                        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks for all the testimonials everyone.

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of leasing vs owning? Today's outing is the first time we've discussed or considered leasing. We've always owned in the past but I like the shorter obligation term and lower initial costs of the leasing deals. I'd love to hear about other's experiences.
                        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Dustmight
                          Thanks for all the testimonials everyone.

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of leasing vs owning? Today's outing is the first time we've discussed or considered leasing. We've always owned in the past but I like the shorter obligation term and lower initial costs of the leasing deals. I'd love to hear about other's experiences.
                          Consumer reports discusses pros and cons of lease vs buy

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• StickSeler
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

IF Passenger size isn't a factor Ill vouch for the Caravan, We had an 03 Grand Cravan it it was nice. Problem is my 13 yr old is 6'2 and my 10 yr old is 5'7. With me at 6'5" it got to be a tight fit. Luckily my wife puts 4-5k miles a year with her driving so I was able to give her my 03 Suburban and get me a commuter car.

Depending on the miles you drive a Suburban or Tahoe is a nice ride but getting 12-15 MPG I wouldnt recomend one as a DD now days.
                            Of course Lumber is expensive,what do you think, it grows on trees

http://www.rjkniatt.com

Comment

• JimD
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2003
                              • Lexington, SC.

You should look at the Suzuki XL7. It is built in the same factory as the Chevy Equinox on the same platform but has a somewhat different exterior, 7 passenger seating, and a 3.6L engine that GM puts in more upscale models but sold Suzuki the design of. Suzuki makes the motors in Japan and ships them over.

I do not have the XL7, I have a 2006 GV. I gave my son my 1997 Sidekick. My experience has been very good with Suzukis. No repairs to the Sidekick until my son put in a water pump at about 150K miles - I'm not sure it really needed it. Nothing so far on the GV except a couple little things covered by warranty (evaporative pump, HVAC motor, resistor for backup light recall). I get better than the rated mileage - which is unimpressive. My GV was rated 24 highway but I get about 26 overall (high of 28) in mixed driving. I find Suzukis to be well made and available at a good price.

Jim

Comment

Working...