• Show
Clear All
  • Copper
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Madison, WI.
    • BT3100

Bad dog!

Our Golden has been known to eat some pretty strange stuff. But drywall?!? This was in "his" room. He doesn't like crates, so we put him in this room when we leave for the day. There's a bed in there that he sleeps on and he loves it. We've had him for about 8 years and he's never done anything like this before. Looks like you can see what I'll be doing this weekend.

I know that there are more than a few dog lovers on this forum. Anyone have this happen?

- Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
    and yes, it's a potato.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

before you fix it how will you know he won't do it again?
    probably he was bored and had the Great Escape (Paul Newman) movie playing on the TV.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
      • Aug 2007
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • BT-3000, 21829

Two years ago, one of my customers had me repair some serious damage to a wall in their mud room.

They had hired a new baby-sitter to take care of the kids. After they left, the dog, a German Shepherd, got spooked and started attacking the sitter. She dragged the kids into the mud room and used her cell phone to call the parents.

By the time the parents got home the dog had ripped a hole through both sides of the wall and had his head completely through the wall.

The dog had never done this before or since. I can let myself in to the house and Rin Tin Tin just follows me around. Weird.
      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• MilDoc

Had a Samoyed years ago. We kept him in the garage when we were out. Until he chewed his way completetly through the wall into the house again.

Comment

• wbsettle
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2006
          • Wilmington, NC
          • BT3100

Personally haven't heard of this after 8 years of tranquility, but you never know what he heard while you were gone that freaked him out.

My wife adopted a German Shorthaired Pointer from a GSP rescue before we met. Apparently the dog suffered from some sort of neurosis at first...Vet put her on Valium and Prozac equivalents at various times after wife came home to find holes in drywall next to the crate. Yes, Sarah had forced enough of her muzzle through the bars to chew up the drywall next to the crate. She's now the model of civility and we can use the crate as both her safe spot and "timeout", as needed...thunderstorms still freak her out, though.

-Brent

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Might want to trim his nails... There's no way he got that hole started by chewing. Try to chew a hole in a sheet of drywall... you'll see.

Comment

• iceman61
              • Oct 2007
              • West TN
              • Bosch 4100-09

The 1st 2 years of her life, my Lab chewed up ever tree I planted in my back yard & then didn't chew anything up for the next 2 years. That was until the other morning. As I was walking past the patio door I saw her with my $50 gas grill cover in her mouth trying to rip it to shreds.

She already had my $500 grill pulled halfway across my patio since the cover was still on the grill. It took everything I had to "not" grab one of my guns & drop her where she stood. If it happens again she will be in the next ad "free to a good home".

Comment

• Shipwreck
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2005

LOL..........too funny! But sorry about the hole.

I have 2 Labs and a Lab/Setter mixed. They are all the smartest and and dummest creatures I have ever known.

Every day is a new adventure with my 3 clowns. I couldnt imagine my life without them.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • On the TARDIS
                  • BT 3100

Never any dry wall, but my shep/lab likes tin cans. Pulls the clean ones out of the recycling.

From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Copper
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Madison, WI.
                    • BT3100

I was totally without words when I first saw it. I have no idea what would have made him do it. He has had a tendency to eat unusual stuff (potted house plants) in the past when he has had an upset stomach. We're treating him for an ear infection, so maybe that had something to do with it? The hole wasn't even near the door. I would think that if he were trying to get out because he was spooked, he would have done it near the door.

I'm not going to try to understand it. Since this is quite out of the ordinary, I don't expect it will be a regular occurrence. As most of you know, all dogs have their quirks.
                    - Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
                    and yes, it's a potato.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Might've been some kind of critter in the stud space...

Comment

• Shipwreck
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Copper
                        I was totally without words when I first saw it. I have no idea what would have made him do it. He has had a tendency to eat unusual stuff (potted house plants) in the past when he has had an upset stomach. We're treating him for an ear infection, so maybe that had something to do with it? The hole wasn't even near the door. I would think that if he were trying to get out because he was spooked, he would have done it near the door.

I'm not going to try to understand it. Since this is quite out of the ordinary, I don't expect it will be a regular occurrence. As most of you know, all dogs have their quirks.
                        You said it! ...................dont even try to understand it. A dogs mind is a dogs mind. Mayby they just get bored......... who knows? Just lettem know ya love em and the will pay ya back 100 fold.

Comment

• Ed62
                          The Full Monte
                          • Oct 2006
                          • NW Indiana
                          • BT3K

No, never had a dog or anything else eat through drywall. But the dog we have now (my avatar), decided she liked coffee, and drank my wife's coffee when she left it unattended.
                          Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          before you fix it how will you know he won't do it again?
                          Good point. Our dog has sampled coffee a few times since. Luckily, not every chance she gets.

Ed
                          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Hellrazor
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Abyss, PA
                            • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by Ed62
                            No, never had a dog or anything else eat through drywall. But the dog we have now (my avatar), decided she liked coffee, and drank my wife's coffee when she left it unattended.
                            Not a suprise. My previous springer spaniel was a real PITA if you left ice tea or soda and ice in a cup outside. He would knock it over, drink it and eat the ice cubes. I was working outside the one day, he walks by eating an ice cube. I am wondering who gave it to him and find out 15 minutes later when I went to get my tea. If you left it where he could get to it, it was gone.

Comment

• iceman61
                              • Oct 2007
                              • West TN
                              • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by Ed62
                              ...Our dog has sampled coffee a few times since. Luckily, not every chance she gets. Ed
                              Ed, are you sure you caught the dog "everytime" she does it?
                              I would hate to thing she has slipped or "sipped" one by you & you didn't realize it.

Comment

Working...