• Show
Clear All
  • John Hunter
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
    • BT3000 & BT3100

Forum User Reputation System

Personally I have pretty much quit posting here in Around the Coffee pot. Back in 2006 I replied to a post here about What is on your desktop http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...512#post223512 for doing that I was burned with negative user feedback! What really PO'ed me was that the person did it secretly and there is no way to fix it or even find out who did it. So now I stay pretty much in the woodworking topics.
    John Hunter
  • Stormbringer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Floral Park, NY
    • Bosch 4000

Originally posted by John Hunter
    Back in 2006 I replied to a post here about What is on your desktop http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...512#post223512 for doing that I was burned with negative user feedback!
    Whoa...I thought that was only available on eBay.

Comment

• John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by Stormbringer
      Whoa...I thought that was only available on eBay.
      Nope, just click on the set of scales in the upper right of any post and you can leave either positive or negative feedback (Add to the users reputation) Yours says you are on a distinguished road, but with the negative one mine says I am an unknown quantity.
      John Hunter

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Nope, just click on the set of scales in the upper right of any post and you can leave either positive or negative feedback (Add to the users reputation)
        Thanks for the tip, John. I just fixed it for you.

I think we all agree that everyone here does a good job keeping things going well. Every once in a while, we'll see a post or two that might be out of line. But it's usually taken care of in a hurry.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• John Hunter
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
          • BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by Ed62
          Thanks for the tip, John. I just fixed it for you.

I think we all agree that everyone here does a good job keeping things going well. Every once in a while, we'll see a post or two that might be out of line. But it's usually taken care of in a hurry.

Ed
          Thanks Ed!
          John Hunter

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Thanks Ed!
            Just a question John, as I am not very bright with all these things you can do with a computer. I did click on as you indicated saw what you referred too. But...is the reputation given for just that single post or does it follow in some way until someone else overides it with a rating or comment?

I clicked on one of mine and saw the post had not been reputationed or whatever.. but a little message box appeared that I had 14 reputations that I suppose are somewhere to be viewed. Wouldn't have a clue as to where nor good or bad. Not that important to me frankly, but am curious as to how this works.

So.. again, is the reputation for the individual post are you graded over-all somewhere?

Comment

• John Hunter
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
              • BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
              Just a question John, as I am not very bright with all these things you can do with a computer. I did click on as you indicated saw what you referred too. But...is the reputation given for just that single post or does it follow in some way until someone else overides it with a rating or comment?

I clicked on one of mine and saw the post had not been reputationed or whatever.. but a little message box appeared that I had 14 reputations that I suppose are somewhere to be viewed. Wouldn't have a clue as to where nor good or bad. Not that important to me frankly, but am curious as to how this works.

So.. again, is the reputation for the individual post are you graded over-all somewhere?
              Sarge, it stays with you and negative can be overridden by a positive feedback (Just found that out myself!) To see your feedback you can click the User CP at the top of the page.
              John Hunter

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Sarge, it stays with you and negative can be overridden by a positive feedback (Just found that out myself!) To see your feedback you can click the User CP at the top of the page.
                That's interesting as I just did it and found positive on a post made quite a while ago. But.. if we put two and two together we now realize that if so and so doesn't personally care for anything about you (and that could be even something totally in-significant as your shirt color in you pic in the top), they could give a negative rating with no true guide-lines to follow.

The true meaning of that to me is it could be a false indicator the same as a gas guage needle that is stuck on full or empty.

So.. if I am looking at the big picture.. I could not and would not put much faith in the current rating that could be there for a multi-tude of reasons. Good or bad.. as the rating could be geniune, or could be a mere rating based on difference in personality and the list could go on and on.

Interesting.. very interesting indeed.

Thanks for your speedy answer as again.. I'm sorta challenged on these matters.

Regards...

Comment

• John Hunter
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                  • BT3000 & BT3100

That's interesting as I just did it and found positive on a post made quite a while ago. But.. if we put two and two together we now realize that if so and so doesn't personally care for anything about you (and that could be even something totally in-significant as your shirt color in you pic in the top), they could give a negative rating with no true guide-lines to follow.

The true meaning of that to me is it could be a false indicator the same as a gas guage needle that is stuck on full or empty.

So.. if I am looking at the big picture.. I could not and would not put much faith in the current rating that could be there for a multi-tude of reasons. Good or bad.. as the rating could be geniune, or could be a mere rating based on difference in personality and the list could go on and on.

Regards...
                  I completely agree, it seems like it can be misused very easily. I sure don't mind catching **** when I deserve it but at least it would be nice to know who is doing it.
                  John Hunter

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Being somewhat "thick-skinned John, basically I would just ignore as we just discussed why it is somewhat meaningless. I believe that if you, I or anyone steps over the thin gray line... we will get an E-mail from a moderator or Forum Admin. indicating such.

So.. just ignore as until to-nite I was not even aware of it's existence. I think forming your opinion based on what you see posted day in and day out would be a better way to evaluate your opinion on an individual.

The real proof is always in the puddin'...

Regards and good evening, sir...

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Regards...
                      The forum software has safeguards built-in to prevent this from happening. It will only let you give a specific individual user a specific number of negative points. Once you have reached the limit for a specific poster it will not even open up the dialog box for that poster.

For example lets say Stytooner really made me mad and I wanted to stick it to him so I click "I disapprove" and first time leave a comment such as "ya ain't funny" then let a week pass and hit him again. I suddenly feel rather satisfied with myself that I have impacted his reputation so I lay off. Then a year and a half later Stytooner actually makes a post that is spot on, helps me personally, and I buy a Shark guard. I praise his honor and workmanship in a topic and he very humbly says thanks. Now thinking he is an alright guy I want to give him some reputation back in a positive way:The forum software remembers that I have expressed disapproval of Stytooner in the past so when I click the ADD to Rep icon I get a message that says I've done enough to that posters reputation, please pick a different member.

Stytooner was used in the example because I'm pretty sure he would never get bad marks. I am not sure how many times each member is allowed to add/subtract from each other specific members reputation but I do know from past experience that the software works as I've described.
                      Last edited by Black wallnut; 02-07-2008, 02:02 AM.
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Sorry to continue the OT issue of rep points, but where in the User CP can you view the feedback? I have 10 rep points, but a rep power of 2- so I assume that I have 4 negative points and 6 positive... I'm curious as heck what people have disagreed with...

Comment

• Black wallnut
                          cycling to health
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                          • BT3k 1999

Look under the heading of "Latest Reputation Received" center of page.
                          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Stytooner
                            Roll Tide RIP Lee
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                            • BT3100

I have no idea where you can see the results of these things. I do have 32 marks, but I cant tell if they are good, bad, or just plain ugly.
                            I don't take much stock in these things. It is a one sided poll type thing. Certainly not a consensus. At least not an accurate one. I have only hit the scale button myself just a few times and that was just to see what it was. Like most members, I tend to ignore it and whatever it contains, especially since most members do the same.
                            Lee

Comment

• Stytooner
                              Roll Tide RIP Lee
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                              Look under the heading of "Latest Reputation Received" center of page.

Mark, you are the right guy for that admin position. I would add to your rep, but I just said I don't use the hidden thing, so now you have a rep point out in the open. Thats how I'd like to see that work.
                              Lee

Comment

Working...