• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

My 70 year old ears couldn't hear a thing, but then I know I have almost total high frequency hearing loss anyway. I probably would not have heard it thirty years ago.

Silence can be beautiful. Regards, Steve

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Hear it, but don't like it... Even makes my tinnitus sound good...

Comment

• footprintsinconc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
        • BT3100

i can barely hear it at full volume, but my wife can't (35/33). however, my daughter and son can hear from like 40ft away (they were playing in at the end of the hallway) at full volume. its an annoying sound, not much of a ring tone.

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
          Bandsaw Box Momma
          • Apr 2005
          • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

I can't seem to hear it. Everyone else could hear it but I couldn't. (35)
          Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• RodKirby
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Hear what?
            Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• coach
              Established Member
              • Jan 2005
              • Forney, TX.
              • Powermatic 66

I hear it. Loud and clear. 37

I've known I could hear it though. I had students try to get by with that. I let them know that the Old Coach still has a little bit.
              If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

I could hear it...but barely ;(
                It is very annoying! I don't think it qualifies as a cool ringtone. Kids must be getting dumber, they could just as easily put it on vibrate
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                  • sears BT3 clone

my dog, wife, and I all heard it loud and clear. That's interesting because I usually test with "some hearing loss."

There was an article awhile back where a store in England had a problem with teens loitering so they piped that sound into the store. none of the adult customers could hear it and the teens stayed away. it was "teen repellent."
                  Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Crash2510
                    • Feb 2006
                    • North Central Ohio

neither of my parents could hear it, but my mom complained her ears started to pop

sister started yelling "what the h*ll is that" from her room 50ft away as soon as I played it
                    Phil In Ohio
                    The basement woodworker

Comment

• big tim
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                      • SawStop PCS

I could hear it if I turned the volume way up and put my ear close to the speaker. I'm 77. It's quite common to slowly loose the ability to hear higher frequencies as we age.
                      Many many years ago when I was working at recording studio we did an informal test by running an audio generator to a speaker via an amplifier of course and slowly increased the frequency and it became quite obvious that the older the coworker was the sooner he indicated that he could not hear the signal anymore. The higher the frequency, the more volume we need to hear it.

Tim
                      Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• ironhat
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

The railroad air jacks ruined my hearing when I was in my 20's. THere wasn't any such thing as hearing protection back then. Now, all I have is a different, high-pitched whistle in each ear. It's louder some times than others.
                        Blessings,
                        Chiz

Comment

• Crash2510
                          • Feb 2006
                          • North Central Ohio

if anybody you show this to thinks its a joke you can adjust up the frequency in wm player under the custom bar
                          Phil In Ohio
                          The basement woodworker

Comment

• Kerf
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2006

I can hear it, very annoying BTW
                            Nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! -Rocky Balboa-

Comment

• mpc
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Cypress, CA, USA.
                              • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I can hear it, though I had to turn up the speaker volume a little. A lot of cheapie PC speaker setups (like mine) probably can't play such high frequencies all that well either. Last time I had my hearing checked it came back as okay - and with better than average high-frequency capability for a slob my age (43 now). An audiologist friend of mine told me a few things about hearing loss a while ago:
                              1: yup, you loose higher frequency hearing as you age.
                              2: women tend to hear higher ranges than men... at all ages.
                              3: folks that drive a lot with the window down often have hearing loss in that ear. And another friend, who had a long commute from the valley for a few years, got skin cancer on that side of her face...

I may put this mp3 file on auto-repeat on the work computer and see if anybody notices. We JUST moved into a different building - basically into the rafters of an old factory building - so everybody is expecting creaks, groans, dust, and various stale smells. A high-pitched whine will probably drive many folks nuts and they'll blame it on the building - not on me! And most of the more annoying co-workers happen to be much younger too... we'll see if "teenage repellant" is also "annoying coworker repellant."

mpc

Comment

• docrowan
                                • Mar 2007
                                • New Albany, MS
                                • BT3100

I could only hear a click when I started and stopped it. My wife could hear it right off.

We married right. I can't hear but she's got great hearing. She can't smell (once gave the baby spoiled milk AFTER she smelled it), so I'm the official "smeller" in the family.
                                - Chris.

Comment

Working...