Who is more at risk for injury in woodworking?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Who is more at risk for injury in woodworking?

Is it the newbie, who still has to learn proper safety techniques, or is it the senior woodworker who might be prone to become lax on safety?

Ed
    The newbie woodworker, who has a lot to learn
    33.33%
    The seasoned woodworker, who might become lax in safety techniques
    66.67%
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

I read somewhere (might be BTCentral) that usually experienced woodworkers are more prone to serious injury, because so many operations become routine and automatic. I know I've had to catch myself wanting to flick a small offcut away from a spinning table saw blade.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I couldn't choose between the two. Failure to think ahead and follow proven safety protocols is dangerous, no matter how much experience one has, or does not have.

Comment

• lrogers
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Mobile, AL. USA.
        • BT3000

This was a tough one, but I went with the "newbie" since things dine out of ignorance can have harsh results. I once needed to cross cut a bunch of parts the same size. I started to use the fence AND miter gauge until one of the old timers stopped me and explained what could happen. He then showed me the correct way to do it.

Experience and the "it-can't-happen-to-me" is also bad JUJU!
        Larry R. Rogers
        The Samurai Wood Butcher
        http://splash54.multiply.com
        http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• footprintsinconc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
          • BT3100

its hard to say.

you have the cautious people, who think things out before trying them, then you have others, who just try first and think later (if they even bother ).

so, to answer the question, both are at risk:
          • newbie: who may just attempt something without thinking it through or may attempt something and may think that the result should be safe when in fact, he could very well be just taking a chance that he doesnt know.
          • seasoned worker, who with time may have relaxed his safety conscious and could taking larger risks because he/she may think that they KNOW what they are doing.
          well that my answer.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

I voted newbie, with reservations. I've had some minor injuries that were mostly due to ignorance. But I also realize that experienced woodworkers (not claiming I'm experienced, either) can become complacent and take chances.

Good to have these discussions though, to keep us thinking about such matters.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

I went with more experienced. I only say this, and yeah with a bunch of reservations, because I injured myself almost one year ago. I knew better than to do what I was doing. Woodworking is inherently dangerous even with only hand tools. Anything that can cut wood can cut flesh. All woodworkers should pay attention to the risks, eliminating those that they can, even sometimes modifying plans to avoid hazardous steps. Sometimes a hand tool is the safest way to work a piece. Even then without due caution it is easy for an injury to occur. I can not even begin to count how may times I've cut myself with a chisel.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Wandere
                Established Member
                • Dec 2007
                • Madison, WI area
                • BT3000

Newbie...and it will probably be me, Murphy's Law. I'm well aware of my ignorance.

Studies may have shown it's the experienced woodworker...I rarely trust a study.

-Rob (911 on speeddial)

Comment

• Carlos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I cut myself all the time, at least once per project, and I've been working with tools all my life. Never anything serious though.

Comment

• Wandere
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2007
                    • Madison, WI area
                    • BT3000

Here you go Carlos, spare antibiotics here: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=35403

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

Originally posted by Wandere
                      Newbie...and it will probably be me, Murphy's Law. I'm well aware of my ignorance.

Studies may have shown it's the experienced woodworker...I rarely trust a study.

-Rob (911 on speeddial)
                      Rob,

Follow my signature. It's there for a reason.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Wandere
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2007
                        • Madison, WI area
                        • BT3000

Thanks Ed, yours was one of the first articles I've saved into my "Saw 101" directory here. Great write-up (and handsome bench there too).

Thanks again

-Rob

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                          • One of them there Toy saws

need a third catagory.

"woodworkers who purchase safety equipment thinking it means they can do anything"

Just like the people who think that buying a 4x4 with ABS and traction control makes them able to do 70mph on snowy/icey roads as per normal conditions.

safty tools are wonderful but can't replace good old common sense. If you get lulled in a certain carefree method because it works with your safety tool, what happens when you go to use your buddy's non-saftey tool the same way?
                          Mike
                          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• smorris
                            • Apr 2003
                            • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I don't know if it translates well, but, when I used to cave and climb we found as a rule that after 3-5 years you were more prone to have a serious accident. Almost every time it was because you did something you should have known better but you got lax in your safety because of past experience.

Newbies who had accidents usually had a minor one, they tended to be cautious and careful. (Minor defined as didn't require major medical to fix)
                            --
                            Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• dkerfoot
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2004
                              • Holland, Michigan
                              • Craftsman 21829

I'd suggest it is whichever one removes the safety equipment such as the blade guard.
                              Doug Kerfoot
                              "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                              KeyLlama.com

Comment

Working...