Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

too good a deal...?

Local CL has a cryptic advt :
    Rarely used 10 inch contractor table saw. Jet brand. $50.00 to clear warehouse urgently.

Called him; he seems totally unaware of the model #, says the saw is sitting in storage for 5 years. I asked him if it works, and he says "sure, it works very well!". He is aware of the woodcraft website, and says it looks "exactly" like this one http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=60030, except that the bottom is "grey instead of white". Was it a different color 5+ years ago?

Now that saw is $1149, which he's aware of, but he's offering it for $50 ?!?! The advt says 'contractor saw', but that pic is of a cabinet saw, maybe a newbie mistake?

I am not in the market for any TS now, but this has got me intrigued - I want have a look at it. Gotta drive 35 miles, but ya think it worth it?

Edit : just had a thought - that saw must be heavy, ain't it? not like I could decide to buy it and pop it into my minivan rightaway...or is it?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Might be legit if he wants to clear a wharehouse. A few weeks ago I lost out on 300 free 2'x4' dropped ceiling panels cause I couldn't get there fast enough. He was clearing a wharehouse that he'd taken over the lease on.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• p8ntblr
      • Jan 2007
      • So Cal
      • Craftsman 22114

35 miles really isn't much to drive for what could become a gigantic gloat. I've driven much farther for a few of my CL deals. Let us know what happens
      -Paul

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

JET saws used to be sort of a blue-gray color.

I'd figure 450-600 lbs, depending on the table size, rail lengths, etc.

Or it might not have rails and a fence. It also might have a three phase motor but, even so, for fifty bucks you could buy a fence system and a new motor and still come out pretty cheap.
        Larry

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Yeah, that old color was tired and dull... I'd make the drive, but bring help. Even if you can get it partially disassembled (and there's no guarantee on that) it's gonna be a bear to move. Definitely check the three phase/single phase thing, because if it's three phase, you'll not be able to use it at your house without major wiring/motor replacement issues.

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
            Yeah, that old color was tired and dull... I'd make the drive, but bring help. Even if you can get it partially disassembled (and there's no guarantee on that) it's gonna be a bear to move. Definitely check the three phase/single phase thing, because if it's three phase, you'll not be able to use it at your house without major wiring/motor replacement issues.
            now please nobody whack me for what might be a stupid question, but the "single phase/3-phase" is independent of the 115/240 volt issue, right? because my electrician had told me he could wire me up a 240 volt outlet in my garage pretty easily - or was he stringing me along?
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by radhak
              now please nobody whack me for what might be a stupid question, but the "single phase/3-phase" is independent of the 115/240 volt issue, right? because my electrician had told me he could wire me up a 240 volt outlet in my garage pretty easily - or was he stringing me along?
              yes, its different. single phase 120 and 240 you can get in a house very easily. Three-phase anything will be a pain in the A$$, if even possible. 3-phase is usually only found in industrial locaitons.

as for the saw, to non-WW all TS look alike.
              No telling what he's got. Old Jet (more than 5 yrs) were light blue, not cream-white.
              Sometimes you have to take chances to find gloats. if its really a cab saw it might be very heavy.
              Even a contractor saw could weigh 200 lbs.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-18-2007, 05:38 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

if it is in good shape and 3 phase, spending the money to make it single phase would still be worth it.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• mschrank
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Hood River, OR, USA.
                  • BT3000

Gotta drive 35 miles, but ya think it worth it?
                  You say that like it's somewhere far away...!? Heck, I've driven farther than that for a decent restaurant!
                  Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by mschrank
                    You say that like it's somewhere far away...!? Heck, I've driven farther than that for a decent restaurant!
                    Pretty much my exact thoughts.

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

If you don't make a move on this I will start a petition to have you banned from BT3 for 1 month. Don't take it personally, but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Comment

• jonmnelson
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Oct 2007
                        • Long Beach, CA
                        • Craftsman 21829/Jet 708100 (don't ask)

For $50 you can't really go wrong. Worth a look, IMO.

Comment

• Pappy
                          The Full Monte
                          • Dec 2002
                          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 (x2)

You ain't there yet?
                          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                          Fools because they have to say something.
                          Plato

Comment

• radhak
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Miramar, FL
                            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

guys, gimme a break : the only reason I aint there yet ( ) is that the guy is busy today, and only has a small window tomorrow in the middle of the day. I am gonna be there (at the storage) before him and wait him out . i had to take the day off tomorrow, but like Jeffrey said, a man's gotta do...

my main worry (suspicion) has been - since the guy is able to surf the web and knows the saw (or something similar) is sold for $1000+, why is he still asking for just $50? for all i know, it might turn out to be a huge paper-weight...

but the effort's not gonna be a waste at all - well worth the education. i only hope nobody else steals it from under me...

taking this a step further - just in case it's the gloat of my lifetime, how do i transport it? i dunno if my minivan can stand a 450 lb TS, or that the LOML could help me unload it here.
                            - Aristotle

Comment

• JR
                              The Full Monte
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Eugene, OR
                              • BT3000

taking this a step further - just in case it's the gloat of my lifetime, how do i transport it? i dunno if my minivan can stand a 450 lb TS, or that the LOML could help me unload it here.
                              At the risk of turning this into a political rant, I will point out that day laborers can be found in many towns at specific locations. They LOVE hefting stuff.

JR
                              JR

Comment

Working...