• Show
Clear All
  • Scottydont
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Edmonds, WA, USA.
    • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Gun totin' question, AR15 rifle

I had the pleasure of firing a friends AR15 and I felt like a kid who just got his first bicycle. Man that was a blast! I don't hunt or shoot now but I used to shoot 22's competitively in high school.

I am thinking about getting a Bushmaster Varminter rifle modeled after the AR15. Washington State allows them with a 16" barrel I think.

I like the ability to customize it since I tend to like do that with my toys. (See any similarity to my attraction to the BT?)

I would use it for outdoor target shooting and maybe varmint hunting. Does anyone have any experience with this type of rifle? Opinions are very welcome.
    Last edited by Scottydont; 12-09-2007, 02:29 PM.
    Scott
    "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

The AR-15, for military use was called the M-16. I fired those quite a bit. They were "issue" weapons for military services. There were variants of that model that had a three selector switch - safety, semi-auto, and full auto (some were with three round bursts). They were lightweight and easy to handle, disassemble and clean. For the most part they were accurate and dependable.

The civilian versions are semi-auto, and look like the military versions. I've seen them advertised for over $1000. For a varmit/target rifle, I have a 22 cal rifle, that shoots long .22's, very close to the .223's. There is very little kick. Because of the barrel length differential, IMO, accuracy for hunting and target use the 22 is better than the shorter AR version of the smallbores.

If you get one, you could change the stock and grip, and maybe add a scope. You could check to see if there is a choice in sights.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I used to have an early model AR15. Nice piece, but I didn't shoot it much, because I couldn't resist full auto, and the ammo was killin my wallet. Sold it when I got my MAC-10 (can't afford the ammo for that one, either...).

Comment

• Hellrazor
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Abyss, PA
        • Ridgid R4512

Scotty,

Ar15.com click on AR15 next to Communities. There is enough reading material on that forum to keep you busy for weeks.

Comment

• kevincan
          Established Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Central Illinois
          • Craftsman 21829

I would agree with Mike and go check out ar15.com. There is a ton of info on there. Just be careful - once you start it is hard to stop with only one.

Kevin

Comment

• JeffW
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
            • BT3100

I carry one every day in my car. Hope to never use it, but it is fun to shoot. Ammo is a little pricy now, but I figure it will come down in price. If I were to have to buy another one, I would get it NOW before any type of ban comes up.

Rock River 14.5 barrel eotech, rails, vfg,
            Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by JeffW
              I carry one every day in my car.
              In your car??? Are you expecting an invasion? I'm a 2nd Amendment guy all the way, but I would be more worried that some punk could help himself to it. The world doesn't need another gang-banger with an assault weapon. Hard to maneuver in a car, too... Mine stays at home, in a concealed but accessible location.

Comment

• maxparot
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                In your car??? Are you expecting an invasion? I'm a 2nd Amendment guy all the way, but I would be more worried that some punk could help himself to it. The world doesn't need another gang-banger with an assault weapon. Hard to maneuver in a car, too... Mine stays at home, in a concealed but accessible location.
                Look at where he lives and that explains everything. Texas is the most gun friendly state in the union. Nearly everyone is armed and that makes for some of the lowest levels of violent crime. It's places like New York City with the most restrictive gun laws that you'd have to worry about the type of crime you are talking about.
                Opinions are like gas;
                I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• JeffW
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • BT3100

1. It stays locked in my trunk.
                  2. Gang bangers with assaults weapons are the reason I have it. I respond to those situations where they use theirs.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

I understand that. I live in FL, where the laws are also gun-friendly, except if you commit a crime with one. However, I don't think the concept of geography invalidates the notion that carrying around an assault rifle for no particular reason is both impractical, and an open invitation to put another exotic weapon in the hands of the criminal element. There are too many cases already where people are gunned down by the dozens, or the cops are overmatched in hardware. Common sense dictates that more oversight may be needed.

Edit: Jeff, unless you drive a Brink's truck, your trunk is not locked. Do you think someone who would want an assault weapon would hesitate for one minute to use a crowbar? And, if as you say, you carry it to respond to armed criminals, isn't it kind of impractical to have to get out of your car in a hail of bullets and retrieve it from your trunk?? Perhaps your rationale is more glandular than cerebral.
                    Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 12-09-2007, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Texas splinter
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Abilene, TX, USA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by maxparot
                      Look at where he lives and that explains everything. Texas is the most gun friendly state in the union. Nearly everyone is armed and that makes for some of the lowest levels of violent crime. It's places like New York City with the most restrictive gun laws that you'd have to worry about the type of crime you are talking about.
                      I live in Texas and I would disagree with your statement about the lowest levels of viloent crime. In 1960, when there was not the lienent gun regs that now exsist, the number of viloent crime reported by the state was 161 per 100,000 inhabitants. The last year figures are available for is 2005. With the "new lienent gun control laws" now in place, that figure is 571.6 per 100,000.
                      I live in Abilene, a city of only 115,000 and we have drive by shootings and drug murders just like anyone else. Plus the accidental shooting of one kid by another showing off "daddys gun".
                      "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

Chuck Hershiser
                      Abilene, Texas

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by JeffW
                        1. It stays locked in my trunk.
                        2. Gang bangers with assaults weapons are the reason I have it. I respond to those situations where they use theirs.

If the "situation calls for a response", what do you do...yell out "Wait a minute while I park my car and get something out of the trunk".

Comment

• JeffW
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                          If the "situation calls for a response", what do you do...yell out "Wait a minute while I park my car and get something out of the trunk".
                          No. Any further explanation would probably just be a waste of time.

Comment

• JeffW
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • BT3100

I understand that. I live in FL, where the laws are also gun-friendly, except if you commit a crime with one. However, I don't think the concept of geography invalidates the notion that carrying around an assault rifle for no particular reason is both impractical, and an open invitation to put another exotic weapon in the hands of the criminal element. There are too many cases already where people are gunned down by the dozens, or the cops are overmatched in hardware. Common sense dictates that more oversight may be needed.

Edit: Jeff, unless you drive a Brink's truck, your trunk is not locked. Do you think someone who would want an assault weapon would hesitate for one minute to use a crowbar? And, if as you say, you carry it to respond to armed criminals, isn't it kind of impractical to have to get out of your car in a hail of bullets and retrieve it from your trunk?? Perhaps your rationale is more glandular than cerebral.
                            1. Car is un-marked
                            2. Trunk is locked with hidden trunk release.
                            3. In 25 years I have never had a hail of bullets going on when I got there. Very-very few cops ever drive up on a shooting in progress, most respond and the shooting is over. Even serving high risk warrants, you always have time to gear up.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

So you are saying that you are a bona fide cop, then? (And I don't mean some kind of process server or bounty hunter.) You made it sound like you carry the weapon by choice, rather than by entitlement. Most of the cops I know don't want to see anybody with assault weapons, not even themselves. And once again, a crowbar will still unlock anybody's trunk.
                              Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 12-09-2007, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...