Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Unusual use for Nail gun

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/5299326.html

Doesn't say what gauge it was.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • pierhogunn
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

gee, that seems a little "lethal Weapon" to me

The least the reporter could have done was determine what type of nailer was used, framing, finishing, brad, etc

If I were going to use a nailer to dispatch my little woodland critters for their pelts, I would probably use a brad nailer

Anyone else care to chime in?
    It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

This was a needless killing of an animal. Didn't anyone notice it was Arkansas? There isn't a single kid living in that state that hasn't seen their mom skin the roadkill before dinner.

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Never mind the nailer, what size/make of compressor??????

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• germdoc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Omaha, NE
          • BT3000--the gray ghost

Some silly movie, I seem to recall with Bruce Willis, featured the hero nailing his nemesis to the attic floor with a framing nailer. The movie stank, but that scene stands out in my memory. Just in case I'm attacked by a homicidal maniac and happen to have a fully loaded framing nailer with a compressor nearby.
          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think you are thinking Lethal Weapon 3 - in Sgt. Murtaugh's home addition he nails a bad guy. Literally.
            (Stupid workman apprently left the framing nailer and compressor on when he went home for the night.)
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Loring, it coulda been a Paslode. But I don't think I'd leave a framing nailer at the jobsite overnight though.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                • BT3100

i remember seeing a movie when i was in high school. it was about spiders. a spider makes it back to the usa in a coffin. it then makes it way from there to someones barn and reporduces. during this whole time, all sorts of people and birds/animals die. they take over a house and at the end, the hero is in the basement of the house that is now burning and falling, the last scene is where the 'original' spider jumps across the room towards the guy and he shoots a framing nail at it (the safety button was depressed, i didnt see the compressor, remember the house is burning and falling ). the nail catches the spider midair and launches it into the main circuit board, where the spider just fries up!

Comment

• DUD
                  Royal Jester
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

This is the link from My local tv station, it was not done under the view of the students, I don't approve what He did, but He lives in the same town as did Orval Faubus. I don't agree about the comments about Arkansas, We have some wierd people here, as do every other State. I'm sorry that this is Your feelings about My State. Nuff said, Bill

http://kait8.com/Global/story.asp?S=7358154
                  5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

The movie is called Arachnaphobia. High school eh? Then we are about the same age.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
                      i remember seeing a movie when i was in high school. it was about spiders. a spider makes it back to the usa in a coffin. it then makes it way from there to someones barn and reporduces. during this whole time, all sorts of people and birds/animals die. they take over a house and at the end, the hero is in the basement of the house that is now burning and falling, the last scene is where the 'original' spider jumps across the room towards the guy and he shoots a framing nail at it (the safety button was depressed, i didnt see the compressor, remember the house is burning and falling ). the nail catches the spider midair and launches it into the main circuit board, where the spider just fries up!
                      I believe that was "Arachnaphobia"

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                        • BT3100

david,

i dont know when the movie came out, but i do think it was during my high school. so if you went to high school (grade 9-13 - ya, we had grade 13 in ontario, canada) from 9/88 to 6/93, then we probably are the same age .

Comment

Established Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • League City, Tx, USA.
                          • BT3100

Aside from using the nail gun, I'm not following where he went wrong.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by 25
                            Aside from using the nail gun, I'm not following where he went wrong.
                            he didn't kill the animal in front of students, but still, the principal said that he should not kill animals on campus grounds.

So maybe in the future he can take it across the street to the McDonalds' parking lot...

I'm curious as to how he got that caged live racoon to sit still enough to dipatch with a nail gun...

And what's he doing with a live air nailer in his truck at school? Does he work carpentry as a second job right after school is out?

In defense of the teacher, the lesson plan called for skinning a dead racoon.
                            His supplier gave him a live racoon shortly before class (we presume).
                            In order to fit the lesson plan he has to convert a live racoon to a dead one, using available means.
                            I am presuming again that the nail gun was the only humane means he could find on school grounds (borrowing a baseball bat from the PE dept is out of the question), and that killing it in the back of his pickup was preferable to doing it front of the class or going home to do it.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-14-2007, 03:29 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• germdoc
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2003
                              • Omaha, NE
                              • BT3000--the gray ghost

Raccoons are significant carriers of rabies, so I hope he didn't get scratched or bitten.

As far as the humaneness of the method, seems about the same as dispatching a cow with a bolt gun. Same principle. Not something I have a problem with really.
                              Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

Working...