This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

Does anyone here still smoke?

Just tobacco products, not other "medicinal" herbs!

After watching a show on the History Channel about tobacco, I was shocked as to what actually goes into cigarettes. Tobacco, yes. Also "floor sweepings" (chopped up stalks, leaves, and "out of date" returned cigarettes). And "processed paper" chemically treated to enhance flavor, cut irritation. enhance nicotine effects etc etc etc.

Tobacco was probably "healthier" until, well, better living through chemistry.

You don't have to actually confess, just answer the poll.

And, if you really want to quit, look into Chantix.
    NO! Never ever ever ever!
    41.74%
    I quit in the past 3 months
    2.18%
    I quit in the past 6 months
    1.56%
    I quit in the past 1 year
    1.56%
    I quit in the past 3 years
    4.05%
    I quit in the past 5 years
    4.67%
    I quit in the past 10 years
    5.61%
    I quit more than 10 years ago and have never started again!
    21.18%
    I still smoke
    17.45%
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

In December of 2000, LOML and I found out we were going to be Grandparents. We told our Son and DIL that there child would not come into a smoke filled house. On our 34th Wedding Aniversary in Feb 2001, we quit and part of stop smoking program with Kaiser. Our firt Grandson was born in July of 2001 and we now have 4 and enjoy them tremendously. Justin was the motivation and my lifesaver and we have special bond that I don't have with the others but thats ok I love the others also they are special in their own way. We both have COPD from smoking, LOML has a wose case than I do, mine is light hers in moderate/servere. My lungs look good according to my Dr and my health has improved. No more bad colds, or Broncitist or Penumonia. I have one cold a year and usually pretty mild. I am getting over one now but I messed up and did not use a dust mask or respirator while building my new work bench and it really caused some problems and a sinus infection. Now they are hanging on the wall where I can see them and have been using them consistently. For those of you who smoke please stop and improve your health and longivity. With the money we saved on buying cigarettes we bought LOML a new car. In California with all the taxes we were spending over $400 a month on smoking. Find something to get you motivated, get help and you can do it.

Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

not my choice but you didn't give a choice button for those who smoke and never quit.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Hoakie
        Established Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Iowa
        • Craftsman 21829

Oops, I can't read straight. I put 6 months when it should have been the last 10 years. Worst thing I ever did was start and the only time I've been proud to be a quitter.
        John
        To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison

Comment

• MilDoc

Well SHOOT! i should have put an option for "I smoke" but didn't think of it!

Any way to change it now, mods????

Comment

• Cheeky
            • Nov 2006
            • westchester cty, new york
            • Ridgid TS2400LS

only thing i smoke is boston butt
            Pete

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by Cheeky
              only thing i smoke is boston butt
              Uhhhhh, pork doesn't count unless you truly smoke it and inhale.

Comment

• RodKirby
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                not my choice but you didn't give a choice button for those who smoke and never quit.
                Ahem... I couldn't vote
                Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Never, never, never for me... I grew up listening to my mother cough herself to sleep every night. That was enough for me...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by MilDoc
                    Well SHOOT! i should have put an option for "I smoke" but didn't think of it!

Any way to change it now, mods????

No, I've not found a way to change any poll-related questions/categories once its been started. You have to be meticulous when setting it up.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      No, I've not found a way to change any poll-related questions/categories once its been started. You have to be meticulous when setting it up.
                      Well, sorry 'bout that. Guess you smokers will just have to fess up! or ignore the post.

Comment

• gwyneth
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Bayfield Co., WI

In demographic statistics, we learned about this kind of built-in survey bias.

Comment

• Warren
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Anchorage, Ak
                          • BT3000

I quit cigarettes once for about five years. Still smoked the pipe and chewed when I was in no smoking areas. Back on the cigarettes, cut back on the pipes. I do keep a bit of "Red Man" around for when I'm on the end of the chain saw or working in the store.

And, I do smoke the exulted pig and some beef now and then. Yes I inhale, in fact I revel in the smoke; rain or shine, or even snow can't keep me away from my smoker. I've got an old, jacket and hat that smell like my pit from so many hours wreathed in the sweet, tendrils of flavorful smoke.
                          A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Concord, NC, USA.

After over 40 years of smoking I quit about four months ago using the Nicoderm patch system. Had a couple surprisingly minor "wish I had a smoke incidents" along the way but overall, no problems at all. I gained about 10 lbs while on the patches but have been able towrk that off already and am continuing on the wight loss program until I disappear altogether, or lose another 30 lbs or so, wichever comes first.
                            I feel a ton better, sleep better, snore way less (the wife sleeps much better) can't remember the last time I coughed and I have roughly 40 bucks extra per week. All in all, a good deal.
                            Tom Hintz
                            NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by Tom Hintz
                              After over 40 years of smoking I quit about four months ago using the Nicoderm patch system. Had a couple surprisingly minor "wish I had a smoke incidents" along the way but overall, no problems at all. I gained about 10 lbs while on the patches but have been able towrk that off already and am continuing on the wight loss program until I disappear altogether, or lose another 30 lbs or so, wichever comes first.
                              I feel a ton better, sleep better, snore way less (the wife sleeps much better) can't remember the last time I coughed and I have roughly 40 bucks extra per week. All in all, a good deal.

I heard the patch and the gum are hard to keep lit.

Comment

Working...